Print

Author Topic: TIL  (Read 12130 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »
Today I Learned that Superstar Saga is on the Wii U Virtual Console.  Now I know one game my daughter and I will be playing this summer.  What did you learn today? 

(I also hope to be playing SM3DW and MK8, but money is tight now so we'll see.) 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 03:52:35 AM »
A few things I can do to avoid repetitive motion/strain injuries, or what most people go ahead and call carpal tunnel, while drawing. Improving posture (I'm slouching right now, oops). Taking buttloads of breaks (I forget to do this, oops). Restricting hand and wrist movement while I sleep to prevent it from clenching when I'm not conscious which would exacerbate the clenching it does when I am (I made a makeshift wrist brace out of an old sock, a ruler and the corner of a coat hanger because I am crazy). Reducing the amount of pressure I put on the pen (by wrapping it in foam. I found just what I needed in my 3DS's box, so thank you Nintendo).

Something bad happening to my hand or arm is one of the scariest things to me. I dunno what I'd do if I got crippling arthritis, or it got paralyzed, or burned or smashed or sliced off or something. I will never be rich or important enough to get a robot hand and even if I were it wouldn't be the same. My mom used to be a barber but had to stop because of shoulder pains. That would be it for me. There are other things I'm really good at and enjoy doing, like cooking, but... it's not even just about the career I want. I would keep drawing even if nobody knew or cared. It's what if I became physically incapable of doing the thing I most like to do? So when my hand is hurting like it is now, it's terrifying. I gotta fix this
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
It's what if I became physically incapable of doing the thing I most like to do?

That's why I'm afraid of getting carpal tunnel as well.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »
If anything happens to my hands, I'll hire a typist to dictate my work so that I never have to worry about not being able to write; on the subject of visual arts, that's a little more tricky...

TIL: In my book, there are several instances of symbolism and foreshadowing that I created on accident. Feel free not to tell anyone though, because if I'm ever interviewed/famous, I'm telling everyone that I intended every bit of symbolism in the book because I'm an awesome writer like that. It reminds me of the idea that most writers don't intend for people to read into their work, because the color of someone's shirt or a character's name don't always mean something deep. It's fun to let people over-analyze everything though!
I'm a horrible person.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »
TIL, "Dinosaur legs extend directly beneath the body."  I had been using the word dinosaur incorrectly as a generic term referring to ancient reptiles.   I also learned about their patterns in egg laying and nesting.  I hadn't realized a dinosaur egg hunt designed for 3 to 7 year-old kids would have been so interesting. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »
TIL: I learned that a DS uses a GBASP charger instead of a DS Lite charger
read jitsu wa watashi wa

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »
TIL that the correct way to turn an Ouya into a device capable of actually playing games is to install a proper Android ROM (in this case, CyanogenMod 11). Now I can enjoy my crippling Puzzle & Dragons addiction on a much larger screen and with a mouse!

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:25:23 PM »
What kept you from installing the apk on the Ouya on the default os?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
Having to use the Ouya on the stock ROM.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
Holding the Xbox button on a wired 360 controller plugged into a PC will open Steam Big Picture.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 09:46:48 PM »
If you hammer a tree in a certain area of Forever Forest, this happens.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »
Choose Bowser in Project M and hold the shield button during the transition from character select to stage select to play as Giga Bowser.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
A friend did that once and I still won the match.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 08:19:17 PM »
Put just enough water in some salt to make a pasty substance and you can use it to remove super glue from your fingers.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 12:16:31 AM »
TIL Living next to a nuclear plant for 1 year gives you 100 times less radiation than eating a bag of potato chips every day for 1 year
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

Print