Print

Author Topic: Whats on that flag?  (Read 3755 times)

« on: December 02, 2003, 05:46:03 PM »
Does anyone know what the symbol on the flag is in the first NES game? Best I can tell it is either a mushroom or a peace sign.

You think just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some $#!+? Huh? I'll F***ing take all you on!

~Brody, man

~Brody, man

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 06:00:15 PM »
I believe it's a skull.

"Walk softly and carry a Super Scope."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 07:45:47 PM »
Yes. It is a skull. There is an easy, and obvious explanation for this...

You see, there's a purpose to Mario's sliding down the flag pole. When he gets down, he takes down the flag. When someone takes down a flag, it usually means they are taking down an enemy's flag, and liberating/capturing the stronghold. In this case, Bowser and his troops put up the skull flags, which are theirs obviously, but when Mario gets through the level, he is taking down their flag and liberating the castle, which is the stronghold. I once thought it was a Mushroom or a Peace Symbol, because it was next to the Toads' castle, but I wondered why Mario was taking it down, since he was a good guy, but I figured this out eventually. (Heh, when I was like 8) Anyway, there's your explanation, straight from Me, the Mario Genius.

I am Meowrik! The 5th Samurai Pizza Cat! beware the fearsome fury of my fiery Jalapeno Katana!
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 02:50:07 PM »
Well check out the big brains on Brad! I got the thing about him taking down the flag, but the logo is all of like four pixels so it was hard to tell. It could have been anything knowing those kooky Japanese. It is about plumbers fighting mushrooms after. Logic rarely comes into play.

You think just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some $#!+? Huh? I'll F***ing take all you on!

~Brody, man

~Brody, man

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 01:39:42 AM »
I always knew it was skull that was on that flag, the only thing that makes people think otherwise is the fact that the skull is missing a lower jaw bone...

I am a pure Super Mario lover!!
...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even drawn the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 11:33:36 PM »
Severed skulls usually are...

Nothing says lovin’ like Chupperson from the oven.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 02:51:34 PM »
But why a skull? Other than the princess and the bros. there aren't any humans about, are there? Do fungai have skeletons?

~Brody, man

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 03:09:10 PM »
Well obviously Nintendo put skeletons in them. How would they walk, talk, or move their fingers if they didn't?

A. Maybe the skull is to symbolize Mario dead, possibly, as a threat to him.

B. Just because they can.

"You, my good sir, are a weirdo. Let the Force be with you."

Trainman- Train Horn Man <--- I''m with stupid.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 04:45:18 PM »
I thought it was a symbol for a radio station in Japan.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 04:54:56 PM »
I thought it was a mushroom, which would make sense, since there's nothing else you could put on those flags.

If chickens had lips, could they whistle?
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 05:20:03 PM »
Nevermind.  I was thinking wrong again.  The castle flag in a special version of SMB is what I was thinking of.  See more info at http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/annsmb.shtml
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print