Print

Author Topic: GameInformer ratings  (Read 2780 times)

« on: December 09, 2003, 05:01:59 PM »
Today one of the kids at school brought the all-new GameInformer. He let me look at it and they gave ratings on MP5 and MK:DD!! Obviously, they gave MK:DD!! over 9. They gave it 9.25. But MP5, not so good. In one of their issues long time ago had ratings on MP4, and they gave it a 4, and quite frankly, I agree. MP4 was overall one of the biggest upsets in a Mario game. MP2 and MP3 were some of the best games I'll ever play. MP4 just turned the board game into crap. But this time, GameInformer was colder, they gave MP5 a 2. I'm not going to say anything before I play it, though. But maybe Mario Party is starting to lose it's touch. MP4 was terrible. MP5 does look good, but thats what I said about MP4.

Nintendo owns you.

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 10:06:27 PM »
Mario Party 5 is a totally unneccesary sequel.  I agree with the rating.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 01:55:16 AM »
I like MP5, actually.  I know people complain about how many Mario Party games there are but I was glad they made it, just because I wanted one for the Cube and Mario Party 4 was so terrible I like to pretend it doesn't exist.  I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat for the next one or anything but there were some completely new features in MP5 that I enjoyed--for one thing, being able to play as Toad, Koopa Kid or Boo.  That's just a little thing but I thought it was nice that they mixed it up a bit since all the other games have basically the same cast over and over again (plus or minus Daisy and Waluigi).  Also, being able to play on teams is nice.  And some of the new mini-games actually were different for once, and quite fun.  I can go to mini-game mode and play 5-minute Piece Out over and over against a difficult computer character if I don't feel like having a "party," and it's like having a completely different game.

The music wasn't great though--usually there's at least one track I could listen to for hours on end (like the Bowser parade!) but not so here.  The voices were annoying too, as were the capsule events.

I wouldn't go so far as to give it a 2, because it is fun, as long as you're playing with someone else.  Maybe a 6 or 7.  And no, we don't need an MP6, at least not until we get a new system (if we ever do).
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 01:49:20 PM »
Meh. GameNOW gave MK:DD!! the rating it desearves: an A+.

---------------------------------------------

GameNOW 4 lyfe! Luigi hated it when he crapped his pants. Boo!
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 05:03:49 PM »
Yeah, Mario Party 4 sucked EXTREEEEEMLY. I should probaly go with GameInformer this time. They gave MP4 a 4 rating, and quite frankly, I believe it deserves a 0.25. MP4 lacked mini-game fun. Most of them were hard, cheap, and above all else, just plain not fun. The maps sucked and the items sucked also. I guess Mario Party has lost it's touch. Yeah, now I've decided to take Mario Party 5 off my Christmas wish list.

Nintendo owns you.

Edited by - Killa of PS2 on 12/10/2003 3:04:52 PM

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 05:58:40 PM »
It is a little something called "idea exhaustion". GameInformer obviously didn't care that in judging a sequel, you shouldn't judge by the NUMBER of sequels! I mean, 2/10 indicates that not only is the game unfun, there's also TECHNICAL problems with it; bad hit detection, for example.

If Mario Party 5 was the first of the Mario Party games, it would get at least an 8 and you all know it.

Stupid Quotes: (9th edition)
AP U.S. History teacher: "Your groups may have no more than 3 people in them."
*About one second later*
Tom G. (Student in this class): "Can we have 4 people in a group?"
~I.S.~

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 07:28:45 PM »
Killa, I wouldn't judge MP5 by MP4--the two games are completely different games.  They're both Mario Parties and that's about all they have in common.
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 09:01:36 PM »
"MP4 lacked mini-game fun. Most of them were hard, cheap, and above all else, just plain not fun. "

Killa, it may be like that maybe because you sucked at the games.

Insane Steve: Tell GameInformer EXACTLY what you said in your post. Send 'em an E-Mail and tell them what you think. If you look at the "Time Magazine Article" thread with Time's lies about the GCN, you'll see that I wrote an E-Mail to them complaining about their lies and correcting them. Check it out. Maybe you'll get an idea or two out of it.

Trainman- Train Horn Man <--- I''m with stupid.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 02:49:54 PM »
Why do alot of people hate Mario Party 4? MP4 is (or was, depending on how good MP5 is), the best Mario Patry game so far. Heck, GameNOW even included it in there Top Ten Mario Centric Games list (sure, it got the 10. spot, but thats only because it is a spin-off, and is not better than other Mario Games).

---------------------------------------------

GameNOW 4 lyfe! Luigi hated it when he crapped his pants. Boo!
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 06:37:34 AM »
I think people hate Mario Party 4 because the computer players cheat a lot. They do the exact things over and over I actually KNOW what items they will buy and what they will do next! If your partner is CPU in "Right Oar Left?" the computer player lives off your input! You do all of the work! The CPU just mimics your input just to be a "team." Whenever you're the closest to the Star, and the CPU has the Pipe Item, the character picked "at random" to be switched with isn't being picked at random. It automatically picks you! Darnnit it all! I actually EXAMINED the Die as the CPU rolls it. He hit it at 2, but it says 8! CHEATER!!!

She's drunk; it's funny!

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 11:46:09 AM »
MP4 was completely a waste of Nintendo's time. The games were overall just not even fun and hard, the maps sucked extremely, and the items got stale very quick. The mushroom items sucked. They shouldn't of taken out the Item minigames. Games like Manta Rings, Cheep Cheep Sweep, Makin' Waves, Right Oar Left?, and many others just made the game completely horrible. GameInformer should of given it  0.25. Even a 4 is to high!

Nintendo owns you.

Print