Poll

What is your favorite of the 3-D action Mario games?

Super Mario 64
9 (34.6%)
Super Mario Sunshine
1 (3.8%)
Super Mario Galaxy
15 (57.7%)
They all stink!
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Print

Author Topic: What is YOUR favorite of the trilogy?  (Read 15692 times)

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »
Luigi is also the most annoying character in the game because he can't get a star without getting lost.
Let's burn some stuff and call it science.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 09:41:52 PM »
Luigi as a playable and non-playable character

Doublethink!!!
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 09:55:11 PM »
As is probably the case with most, I have a hard time deciding. Still, I think I'll take SM64.
SMS takes a lot of flak, but it's not that bad. Still, I missed the themed variety of SM64 worlds--and their size, too.
SMG... I dunno. It's fun, and all, but the stages are too linear.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 05:33:27 PM »
SMG... I dunno. It's fun, and all, but the stages are too linear.
Sounds like my type of game. :) Now if Nintendo would just hurry up and lower the Wii's price...
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 05:59:05 PM »
Still, I missed the themed variety of SM64 worlds--and their size, too.

Super Mario Galaxy has tons of themed varieties.  Practically no galaxies are the same.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 06:08:39 PM »
Not ALL the stages are linear. Most of the ones with multiple planetoids are, but a few galaxies are large areas not unlike areas in Super Mario 64 (the Honeyhive Galaxy is kind of like the big floating island that many SM64 levels were with normal gravity, for example) with a few little planetoids around them accessed via cannon.

One big plus SMG has is three Bowser battles. Remember in Super Mario 64 when you had Bowser in the Dark World, then in the Fire Sea, and finally in the Sky? Super Mario Galaxy has a similar setup--you'll fight him three times, defeating him in a similar manner every time.

It's close between 64 and Galaxy. I think I'll have to go with Galaxy for the many many galaxies. Looking back, playing the same level six (eight or even TEN in Sunshine!!) times got pretty boring. Galaxy has you play the same level three or four times or less, often not going the same path, and then you move on. Later, you'll come back to those galaxies to play for a star triggered by the "Prankster Comet" or bumbling Luigi.

And. Powerups. The one mentioned but not named in TMK's review: the best.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 12:52:28 AM »
I like Bird Person's thinking.  I think that SMG did a great job of trying out a lot of new stuff while also sticking to the great design of the original Mario platformers.

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 03:29:34 AM »
O btw the Trilogy is officially:  Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 2 (Doki Doki Panic), Super Mario Brothers 3.  However, Mario is more then a trilogy :). 
In fact, the 'real' trilogy was Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3. The Doki Doki Panic version of SMB2 that you mention is part of the European and American trilogy. The Japanese SMB2 was the best SMB2. Unfortunately, the ROM is difficult to find, but that can't be helped.
Just thought I'd mention. I always like to think that the official is the 'original' official, which in this case is the Japanese official.

Anyway, I voted Super Mario 64. I like that one, as it reminds me of the 2D games because of the power-ups. It's certainly a classic.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 06:49:42 AM »
Unfortunately, the ROM is difficult to find, but that can't be helped.
No it isn't. SMB2J is on Virtual Console.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 08:26:17 AM »
I suppose that's handy, but it's hard to find on the internet (or it was last time I checked).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 09:42:29 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy has tons of themed varieties.  Practically no galaxies are the same.
I was referring to SMS when I said that (and yes, I think SMG has plenty of great "themed" galaxies, but... "Space Junk Galaxy"?)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 10:26:32 AM »
I suppose that's handy, but it's hard to find on the internet (or it was last time I checked).
Virtual Console games are bought and downloaded over the Internet. ;)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 10:32:09 AM »
From quite a while ago, I remember searching quite a while on the computer's internet for that ROM. Well, I suppose the Google search results have changed.

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 03:30:23 PM »
O btw the Trilogy is officially:  Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 2 (Doki Doki Panic), Super Mario Brothers 3.  However, Mario is more then a trilogy :). 

... The trilogy I'm refering to is the 3-D Action/Platform Mario games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 02:17:05 AM »
Yeah, that one doesn't exist either.
SamBeckett94, it is not difficult to find the FDS ROM image, however I will not talk about that.
Virtual Console is definitely the way to go.
That was a joke.

Print