Print

Author Topic: Drunken_Dragon's Speed Runnin'  (Read 1468 times)

« on: January 16, 2004, 04:19:09 AM »
hello every one, im new and what not. and im about to go to sleep, cause it be 5 am. but i wanted to get my "Lookit my speed runs!" posted here. im doing speed runs on SMW on gba (why? because mario and luigi being different = 2 times the replay) ill post my records and such here and update. and explain anything or answer any questions about it. (but here are just some general questions ive already been asked)

yes i use an emulator, its fluxuates between 98 and 100% speed, im trying to get a way to record vids so you can see them. im doing both mario and luigi runs right now (soon, my brother is going to pick up lugis runs, theyre too much for me to remember) as of now im working on the second half of the vanilla dome ghost house.
next post for times, and terms.

Mario''s adventure is over for now, but
Mario''s dream lives forever...

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 04:52:15 AM »
Super Mario World GBA

1. Yoshi's Island 1: 260M 40Sec 253L 47Sec
2. Yoshi's Island 2: 360M 40Sec 353L 47Sec
3. Yoshi's Island 3: 250M 50Sec 239L 60Sec
4. Yoshi's Island 4: 275M 25sec 270L 30Sec
5. Iggie's Castle:   227M 1:13  227L 1:13

6. Doughnut Plains 1:360M 40Sec 353L 57Sec
7. Doughnut Plains 2:308M 1:32  308L 1:32
8. Doughnut GH:      266M 34Sec 264L 34Sec
9. Doughnut Plains 3:258M 42sec 253L 47Sec
10.Doughnut Plains 4:252M 48Sec 255L 45Sec
11.Morton's Castle:  271M 2:15  271L 2:15

12.Vanilla Dome 1:   333M 1:07  320L 1:20
13.Vanilla Dome 2:   210M 1:30  207L 1:33

it goes as such,

1.Level name 1: mario time on screen, actual time, luigi time on screen, actual time

Forumalated Terms:
Running:

Full Run - The act of mario or luigi being at top speed(theyhave their hands behind them hauling')

Stumble -  when landing on a block or too close to an edge where the folling jump is impossible or you dont react fast enough in order to make it, and thus run off the edge, while not always fatal, it results in losing speed and cuts your "hidden run meter" in half

Snaged - where the previous jump was too short/quick/low and you hit the edge, but still made it on where you expected. it cuts the hidden run meter less than stumbing, but still makes for loss of time.

Hidden run meter - ive come to the conclution that there IS a "run meter" of sorts in mario world, its obvious after a few botched runs. it takes mario around 150-60 frames to get full run, but if in full run and your snagged or stumble, you regain full run faster than if you started from standing still. this makes you infer that there is a run gauge, its just not viewable. (i wish it was though)

Forced stop - when the game/characters limitations force you to HAVE to stop or lose full run in order to live or get the fastest time possible.

Jumping:
High - The farthest/highest jump possible done from 15-20 frames of full run.full run jumping animation. most common jump. (in most stages so far)

Mid jumping - middle/upper-lower middle jumps, require durations of the jump button being held in order to choose distance.rarest jump.

Low jumping - smallest, fastest jumps. very short no  holding time jumps. second most common jump.

Full Run jump(FRJ) - the act of jumping at almost the frame you start full run (i first used it in vanila dome 1(mario and luigi runs))

Pressing - when you jump against a flat object (such as a pipe) and since it cant stop you, you keep all your momentum untill you come up above the object. (first used in doughnut plains 4(mario run))

Air jump - Jumping the last possible frame (and i MEAN the last possible frame) in order to make a sucessful jump for maximum speed. mario/luigis front foot are off the edge of the platform. (hard to time, nessisary in most stages)

Landing stun - it appears that if you jump within a certian time after landing from a high jump, you dont jump as high or far. you must have a short time on the ground. (makes certian stages VERY hard, very nessisary too) used in mario's doughtnut plains 3 run.(and lots of other levels)

Psy jump- Jumping waaaay sooner and to the unknowing watcher, needlessly, in order to land or keep time to save from faults etc. (ie: used in LOTS of luigi runs, and in mario doughtnut plains 1. you have to psy-high jump way before you "think you should" in order to fall between two pipes, then land high jump over a gap and land on a caped koopa it order to get the hight nessisary to make it up the next ledge with out getting snagged you do it so you have enough time to land, then have recover from landing stun, then jump again)

Falling - while more predominately a "luigi ability" its part of the jumping system, if you jump as high as possible, and release the jump button before reaching the apex,but after the duration to register a high jump, you fall faster than if holding it all the way.(im  using this right now in vanilla dome Ghost house it seems like its nessisary for this stage too)

Buffering - holding the jump button to bounce off enemies instead of pressing it again.

Skipping - quick successions of small jumps needed to clear an area of a level. (being used in ghost house right now)

Misc:
Mario stage - stage easier with mario (like doughnut plains 4)

Luigi stage - Stage easier with luigi (like yoshis island 4)

Course/path/michi - Fastest way through the stage (michi is also my g/fs name, its japanese for "path" or "road", and a running joke between us about it)

on the times currently: as it seems, marios times are faster than luigis, but luigis runs are usually way easier. (usually) theyre times are identical in the castles because they get hung up in the same places.

Mini FAQ
no i dont slow the game down like that japanese guys video. im also not playing all the stages in order doing them perfectly (the most ive done were random stages in the first two worlds and i did 3 in a row perfect) im going for fastests times, not getting secrets. none of the stages are played with blocks that hinder speed (ie: the green block wall in doughnut plains 1) because thats just kinda dumb. yes i plan to put up vids, when i find something better than "snag it" to record them with . i might just record it on vhs then rip that with dazzle (btw, "snag it" is HORRIBLE unless you have a 2ghz processor)

and no im not crazy... soooo tell me what you think! ^^

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 09:07:18 AM »
Huh, that's pretty cool, DD. You put a lot of effort into all this. Keep those times coming. Maybe I'll bust out my SMA2.... Heh.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 02:22:51 PM »
THANKS!

im gonna have vids up today or tommorow! so every one wait! :)

Print