Print

Author Topic: Breaking news; World 9 can be accessed, whether you warped or not  (Read 4100 times)

« on: November 09, 2006, 07:46:28 AM »
Hmm, the common belief is that, in the original Famicom version of Super Mario Bros. 2 (J), to get to World 9, you must simply abstain from using any warp zone up to beating World 8--effectively meaning you beat every level. In the All-Stars version, if you have World 9 already, and use a warp zone on a save and then save it, you will lose World 9. But in the original Famicom version, it seems that going into a warp zone won't necessarily make you forfeit World 9.

In the original Famicom version of SMB2J, the criterion is not abstaining from the use of warp zones and just going into beat World 8, but rather that you must beat every castle from Worlds 1 through 8. When you beat a castle (or more precisely touch the axe and cause Koopa to fall into the lava pit) in a world, a bit is set on byte $07FA corresponding to the world you've beaten. Beating World 1 will set the lowest bit, while beating World 2 will set the next lowestt and so on.

After the scene with the Princess at the end of World 8, the game performs a check of byte $07FA, seeing if it is #$FF or not (i.e. seeing that all the bits were set or not). If it is #$FF, then the game will proceed to load World 9, while if it is not, then it will proceed to reload the title screen.

It seems that using a warp zone doesn't have an effect on byte $07FA, so if you warped forward and then warped back so you can still beat every castle, then theoretically it would seem that you could still get to World 9, in the original Famicom version of SMB2J.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 08:01:31 AM by Raccoon Sam »

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:31:41 AM »
I'm sure beneficii appreciates the credit you gave her.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 07:43:22 PM »
Here I was, seeing only the words "Breaking News!" in the index title, so I click it, hoping to see some new detail on Super Mario Galaxy or a slew of info for Super Paper Mario.

In other words, the title is very misleading and I'm a little disappointed. Oh well.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 12:27:05 AM »
I was actually thinking Mario 3.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 01:39:57 AM »
I'm sure beneficii appreciates the credit you gave her.
Go ahead and edit my post.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 12:08:40 AM »
World 9 was a very strange (but awesome) world. Good times!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 10:17:31 PM »
World 9 in SMB? Cool, very cool, but I was hoping it was for Super Paper Mario. ...Aw, who cares.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:03:46 AM »
Quite a bump there, sir.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 08:30:51 AM »
Hm, when I saw this thread, I thought it was about something else. How odd.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Print