Print

Author Topic: Nintendo DS and Super Mario 64x4 questions and speculations  (Read 3889 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 20, 2004, 08:37:48 PM »
Will the DS be able to connect to a TV directly or through a Game Cube so that we can see one or both screens of SM64x4 in all its glory on a big screen?  I bought a Game Boy Player to play GBA games on my big screen.  I hope they incorporate that ability into the NDS.

Will the Nintendo DS be able to connect to GCN?  Wireless connectivity to the GCN would make games like the new Zelda cool.  Imagine the New Zelda game on your TV, but on the DS see both a map, and be able to change item/equipment at the same time.

Will the DS have a Z80 processor?  I haven't seen it listed in specs, but if so it can/could play GB, GBP, and GBC games.

Why not put gyroscopes link in Kirby Tilt ‘n’ Tumble?  That would be really cool.

Will SM64x4 have a single player mode like the new GCN Zelda: Four Swords?  I sure hope so.  (Edit: I read here and on a hands-on thread that it will)

Will SM64x4 have any new levels/worlds?  It would be cool to have a whole new world and/or a few new levels.  A little 2d side scrolling and puzzle games for up to 4 players would also be cool.

Why doesn't Nintendo make the top DS screen bigger?  There is plenty of room on the top, but I guessing they won't because they want to keep the price down.  Although, wouldn't it be cool to have a screen as big as the PSP to see side scrolling games like the NEW Super Mario Bros in a real wide screen format.  The top screen could be a Wide Screen since there is plenty of room for it to be twice as wide.  Other than a slight increase in weight and price, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.  (Edit:  The price might actually be higher than Nintendo is comfortable with since there is projected to be a shortage of LCD spring until April 2005.  I would pay extra for a WS.)  Checkout the link below for a picture I quickly edited to show the size the screen could be.

http://img68.photobucket.com/albums/v207/dennisshows/nintendo_ds_widescreen.jpg

Also, Shiggy said there were features he wanted to put on the DS, but didn't to keep the price down.  What features might he have wanted and possibly have planned for a future version?

Edited by - Luigison on 5/20/2004 7:43:13 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 09:38:39 PM »
Widescreen? ;)

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 08:26:49 PM »

Those aren't perfect examples, but you get what I mean.  Playing the squared Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the GBC on my GBA was strange.  I would have been much better in the wider GBA format like a suppose the "new" NES SMB GBA game will be.  If the screen were in actual 16x9 format like movies and the PSP, you could see more of worlds and the display could show movies in their original format.  Since there are now cartoon on the GBA and the DS will have up to at least 1 gig cards, they could easily put short movies on it like Sony plans to for the PSP.

Edited by - lUiGiSon on 5/21/2004 7:41:24 PM

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 10:56:37 PM »
One of the pictures at the link below shows a GBA link socket.

http://media.gameboy.ign.com/articles/517/517932/imgs_1.html

Since that is the socket I use to program the GBA maybe my SDK could be easily and quickly updated so that people can develop homebrew DS games.  

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 11:01:05 PM »
Darn, the article below say the socket is not for a GBA link cable.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/517/517932p1.html

Luigison

• Old Person™

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 11:33:10 PM »
Note to self:  Stop talking to yourself.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 10:01:08 PM »
Wow check out all those cool tech demos...

Now if only I could understand what they were trying to say...

It may be translated, but the poor jump from Chinese(Or whatever) to English made it sound like something coming from Shawne20.

Edited by - Meowrik on 5/24/2004 7:38:28 PM
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 07:06:59 PM »
It was Japanese.

Print