be taxed
0 (0%)
both
6 (26.1%)
neither
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: Should religions stay out of politics or be taxed?  (Read 27853 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: October 26, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »
Vote and discuss.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:02:11 PM »
Religion should stay out of politics. Personal opinions shouldn't influence the making of policies that affect everyone.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 05:55:41 PM »
Then what, praytell, will influence the making of policies?  What will influence our culture if not religion?  The word "culture" literally means "the way a people worships."  Last time I checked, culture was pretty important. 

As for religion being taxed, that is quite possibly among the most stupid ideas I have ever heard in my life.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »
It shouldn't be religion. Not when there are so many different religions with each of their respective worshipers claiming their religion holds more water than everybody's beliefs. *cough*

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »
Religion != morals. You don't need a deity to understand that violence and stealing are wrong.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 06:15:08 PM »
“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s..."  Didn't Jesus say that to tell the Jews they should pay taxes?

“My kingdom is not of this world."  I take this statement by Jesus to support separation of Church and State. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »
Religion != morals. You don't need a deity to understand that violence and stealing are wrong.

But you need a deity to define that violence and stealing are wrong.

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s..."  Didn't Jesus say that to tell the Jews they should pay taxes?

“My kingdom is not of this world."  I take this statement by Jesus to support separation of Church and State. 

1. So... because they should pay taxes, that means they should be taxed for having religion?

2. Meaning "not in this world", not "shouldn't affect this world".

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
But you need a deity to define that violence and stealing are wrong.
Because you're too stupid to know better otherwise?
I don't understand what you meant by "define".

Also, read The Chef's post. It was highly insightful.

P.S.
culture - Origin: 1400–50; late ME: tilling, place tilled (< AF) < L cultūra.
cult - Origin: 1610–20; < L cultus habitation, tilling, refinement, worship.

It means the way people live in general and the circumstances under which they do. Worship, as a part of most (all?) ancient civilizations, was naturally included, but is by no means the sole meaning.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:46:51 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 08:18:48 PM »
Turtlekid1, I didn't mean to imply that people should be taxed for having religion.  That'd be nearly as stupid as having a gender or race tax.  I meant that religious organizations should pay taxes just like all other similar organizations. 

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »
Yeah, more like, "It's turtlekids all the way down!"

I wrote neither, because while I don't like religious involvement in politics, I think it's possible that political leaders with any religious affiliation will be looked down upon or deemed unfit to be a part of politics (as though politicians meet some sort of moral standard).  I think one's religion does somewhat influence one's decisions as a political leader, but that shouldn't prevent them from leading altogether.  You know what I mean?  Like people opposed JFK's candidacy just because he was Catholic: that's not very fair.  He didn't do horrible Catholic things while he was president, did he?
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »
What I want to know is, how is there always another turtle under the last one?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:37:40 PM »
Go ask the Flat Earth Society members (but yes, apt reference, Markio).

Religion should stay out of politics, but there's just so much power to be had by keeping it that it's probably not ever going to change.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »
....(but yes, apt reference, Markio).

Why thank you!  You too, Chupperson.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »
I'm changing my vote from both to "Stay out of politics." Churches are pretty self-run, aren't they... built on donations and the like. No dependence on the government. But all churches should stop imposing their beliefs on the government.

Politics, always about liking stuff. People should get their heads out of their shells and care about justice on Earth instead of their own beliefs. If you believe a certain group of people are going to burn eternally, that's fine, but you don't need the government to follow a bunch of made-up hoo-hah just because the majority believes it's true.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 08:23:49 PM »
Because you're too stupid to know better otherwise?
I don't understand what you meant by "define".

This is why I simply adore, you, Chup.  You can't respect the other party's intelligence because they don't agree with you.

By 'define,' I mean, "Who put those laws here in the first place?"

I'm changing my vote from both to "Stay out of politics." Churches are pretty self-run, aren't they... built on donations and the like. No dependence on the government. 1. But all churches should stop imposing their beliefs on the government.

Politics, always about liking stuff. 2. People should get their heads out of their shells and care about justice on Earth instead of their own beliefs. 3. If you believe a certain group of people are going to burn eternally, that's fine, but you don't need the government to follow a bunch of made-up hoo-hah just because the majority believes it's true.

1. Just as soon as the public education system stops imposing evolution on children.  Better yet, just get rid of the public schools altogether.

2. And I suppose you think Atheists are going to care so much more about justice on earth than religious people?  I'm sorry, but if you're (not you personally) a consistent atheist, there is no such thing as justice or morality, because their is no right and wrong, because everything you see is the result of an accident.

3. Religious people's morals, beliefs, and therefore, politics are affected by their religion, are they not?  It's impossible to be religious and keep your religion out of the way you vote.

Print