Print

Author Topic: Is this the begining of the end?  (Read 3331 times)

« on: December 18, 2000, 10:55:20 AM »
Atari is dead. Do you hear of Atari anymore? Sure, some. But not much. According to what I've read, the last year or two of it, the market was flooded with medicore "me too!" games, and then it just sort of fizzled out. Could this be repeating..? Look at all the Game Boy games. They're so sidescrollers coming out, it's almost scary (not to mention only a few are magical). Is this the end? The amoutn of video games being purchased in Japan is dwindling...Is it time to hit the alarm button? Is it nearly the day where Kid Icarus comes down out of the sky and says, "Alas, Nintendo..." And rabid undead Pokemon fans roam teh streets...?

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2000, 01:52:38 PM »
I'm not worried. . . yet.  If there comes a point where we've got 4+ systems competing (i.e one of the upcoming systems doesn't "go Jaguar"), then I'm gonna be a little nervous. . .
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2000, 04:18:10 PM »
Atari is dead.  it's been buried for upwards of a decade.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2000, 04:40:47 PM »
Atari still makes games.  Gauntlet Legends, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, and plenty of others that don't come to mind right now.

Xx Kirby Superstar xX
Xx Kirby Superstar xX

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2000, 07:06:17 AM »
No it's not the beginning of the end. The problem was, Atari was unable to cater to the fresh gaming public.

Back when they were around there weren't nearly as many gamers as there are today. As the market grew, their portion of it became smaller and fizzled out.

Game Boy has ALWAYS had dozens of mediocre games churned out for it since the moment it was born. It's stronger now than ever before, and with the GBA promising what is essentially a handheld SNES then that certainly isn't dropping away any time soon.

As for the console market, it's getting bigger every day. What we have now is the next-gen depression. It always happens. When a new range of next-gen consoles are released or waiting for a release, people are a little cautious about their next step. A lot of people won't run out and buy a Dreamcast or a PSX2 until there are some good games on them, or until they've seen what the competition can do.

This creates a sort of drop in video game sales worldwide. You may now notice the Dreamcast's sales going through the roof. That's because Nintendo is taking forever (as usual) and PSX2 turned out to be a pointless waste of time, selling only through hype and not through content.

It'll all clear up soon enough.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2000, 07:06:36 AM »
No it's not the beginning of the end. The problem was, Atari was unable to cater to the fresh gaming public.

Back when they were around there weren't nearly as many gamers as there are today. As the market grew, their portion of it became smaller and fizzled out.

Game Boy has ALWAYS had dozens of mediocre games churned out for it since the moment it was born. It's stronger now than ever before, and with the GBA promising what is essentially a handheld SNES then that certainly isn't dropping away any time soon.

As for the console market, it's getting bigger every day. What we have now is the next-gen depression. It always happens. When a new range of next-gen consoles are released or waiting for a release, people are a little cautious about their next step. A lot of people won't run out and buy a Dreamcast or a PSX2 until there are some good games on them, or until they've seen what the competition can do.

This creates a sort of drop in video game sales worldwide. You may now notice the Dreamcast's sales going through the roof. That's because Nintendo is taking forever (as usual) and PSX2 turned out to be a pointless waste of time, selling only through hype and not through content.

It'll all clear up soon enough.
Webmaster

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2000, 07:07:19 AM »
Ooops... *runs*
Webmaster

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2000, 02:54:36 PM »
Thanks, I feel better now...

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Print