Print

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG Cross-References  (Read 2620 times)

« on: December 23, 2000, 12:52:37 PM »
If you've noticed, there are a ton of cross references in SMRPG. Like the enemy Shogun: a Japanese warrior. Nimbus, i believe is the latin word for cloud, which fits. And Hinopio sounds a lot like "Pinnochio," our famous little wooden toy. Hinopio does kinda look like a wooden toy, but maybe not. I want to write a section for my new SMRPG website (its still on my hard drive), and i want as many as I can. I'll try to give you all credit.

~Formally daFunkster
~Formally daFunkster

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2000, 02:56:14 PM »
Kinopio is Toad's Japenese name. Hinopio means something or another...I forget what.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2000, 03:39:06 PM »
I know "hinopiou" means "fiery brimstone" in Japanese, I don't know if that's the root.  I've never gotten to him in the game, so I don't know what the character is like.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2000, 12:18:51 PM »
Hinopio is a fat 'shroom person that has a shop in Barrel Volcano, his top is black with fire on it.  If I'm not mistaken, the switch from Kinopio to Hinopio has something to with the Japanese word for fire or something like that.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2000, 12:34:15 PM »
Volcano?  Well, then it makes sense with my theory.  "Hino" means "fire," "hinopiou" is a cognate.  A kinopiou is a type of mushroom associated with the Kitsuni spirits of Japanese folklore.  I don't know why the "u"s are dropped, maybe to make them sound more like names.  If you'd go to my website, you'd know this stuff ( : ).

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Print