Print

Author Topic: Super Mario 3D Land  (Read 60418 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
Augh, levels look horribly railroaded.  Note Blocks are neat.  Power ups look like they might be cool?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »
I'm not seeing anything really intriguing so far (I hope the Tanooki Suit isn't the only new thing they'll be relying on), but it still looks fun.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »
I'm just cool with the level design.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »
The Youtube video posted above is a repost that's in 480p.  You can watch the orginal in 720p on Nintendo's official Youtube channel:  http://www.youtube.com/nintendo  There's also a new Mario Kart and Luigi's Mansion 2 trailer there. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
Other than being three-dimensional, SM3DS appears to have more in common with Mario's sidescrolling platformers. (EDIT: Especially SMB3, as demonstrated by the inclusion of the Tanooku Suit and Boom Boom.)

It's a relief that this game's power-ups don't seem to have time limits.

Isn't it a bit strange that a Super Leaf bestows Mario with the Tanooki Suit in the trailer? Speaking of which, Tanooki Mario is never shown flying, only floating...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:06:46 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »
Even though it looks like it probably will be largely "railroaded", I've noticed that unbridled flight has been frowned upon in the most recent 3D Marios, at least during main levels. Probably too much risk of beating everything really fast, or something like that... but I guess we'll see.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 11:02:19 PM »
If you ever hack Mario Galaxy so you can use Flying Mario anytime you want, you'll see, it's really wacko and obvious that they weren't planning much for it. It's not programmed to work with water. It's not programmed to work smoothly with gravity changes.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »
Isn't it a bit strange that a Super Leaf bestows Mario with the Tanooki Suit in the trailer?
I always thought the whole Raccoon/Tanooki thing was weird in a couple of ways. The leaf is obviously a reference to legendary tanuki magic, but the non-magical power-up (a suit that Mario dresses up in rather than a magic leaf that changes his shape) is the one that grants Mario magical powers? Better to combine them this way, I say.

Speaking of which, Tanooki Mario is never shown flying, only floating...
It was confirmed that he doesn't fly, just flutter. They had problems making flight work on a small screen.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 04:14:54 AM »
It was confirmed that he doesn't fly, just flutter. They had problems making flight work on a small screen.

*coughSM64DSworkedjustfinecough*

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
Nine minutes of gameplay

Between the timer (assuming it's not just for the demo), the lack of smooth features like slopes, and the flagpole endings, this looks to be the most linear of all the 3D Mario platformers.

I'm beginning to think that Nintendo is afraid of players finding level-breaking exploits in Mario games, and is thus making them more linear in design. "Why bother making each level compatible with Yoshi when we can just restrict him to specific levels? Why waste time ensuring that no levels are broken by the Tanooki suit's flight capabilities when we can simply remove said ability altogether?" Gone are the days of stages with multiple solutions and entirely skippable sections, my friends.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
On the other hand, one could argue that the old sort of level design is pretty broken, keeping in mind how pathetically easy Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World are with their flight power-ups and SMW's Yoshi. Hell, Super Mario Bros. doesn't have either and it's still easy.

Keep in mind also that the more breakable Mario games are 2D, not 3D, and that level design fundamentally works differently in each. Unrestricted flight in a 3D platformer is a great way to remove any sort of challenge that may have been offered.

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
True, although nerfing power-ups like the Tanooki suit rather than balancing levels to deal with them shows a lack of integrity on Nintendo's part.

At any rate, making the games increasingly linear seems like a step backwards to me. Much of the fun in SM64 and Sunshine was just messing around and trying new things. Doesn't preventing the player from doing such things effectively defeat the purpose of making the games 3D?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2011, 11:54:49 PM »
They could probably create a completely new full-length game without an unrestricted flight power-up to balance in the time it would take to properly balance one.

And, er, a vast number of the stars/Shines have pretty linear solutions as well, outside of glitches, design quirks, and a few tricks available/more readily known to players who have been through courses/the game already. So this forced linearity isn't really a new thing.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2011, 12:01:51 AM »
Hell, Super Mario Bros. doesn't have either and it's still easy.

wat r you talkin bout noob u dont know gamez

super marrio brothers is hte hardest game i ever playwd and i mean like i played a diamond b4

i never beat it in my life
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »
I'm kind of getting a Sonic Colors vibe from this, making a 3D series get back to its linear 2D roots rather than trying to be a dramatically different genre like its predecessors. The difference, of course, being that Mario didn't really need it, because, while Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure were both just a bunch of random stuff they tried out to see what worked, Mario 64 was inherently fun to play, and actually had some surprisingly good design decisions considering how early it was made.

Anyway, I would really like to see a more Banjo-Kazooie-esque 3D Mario again, but a smaller, more linear one like this seems much better suited for a handheld.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print