Print

Author Topic: Does the Metroid series have a future?  (Read 3119 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »
The Metroid Prime sub-series is already over. No new Metroid games that continue the story (or, for that matter, 2D Metroid games) have been released since 2002. Since all the Metroids were finally killed once and for all in Metroid Fusion, the main story also seems to have concluded. Will we see a game that takes place after the events of Fusion? If we do, will that game use the traditional 2D style, or will it be made similar to the Prime games?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:57:05 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »
An excellent question. While Metroid Prime 3 ended with a cliffhanger of sorts, whether or not we'll see another Metroid game is questionable. And if the newer game chronologically takes place after Fusion, what would they call it?

If they do come out with a new first-person-adventure, I'd like to see more unique combat situations and less get-in-the-space-ship situations. Honestly, I did not like flying between planets and on planets all the time to perform menial get-the-item-quests. And no phaazoid-like creatures. None.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:07:20 PM »
Considering "all the Metroids were finally killed once and for all" twice now, it's not like they'd be hesitant to make up more Metroid hijinks.

I suspect we'll get a 2D DS Metroid in the twilight years of that system.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »
They were working on a DS title called Metroid Dread, and it takes place after the events of fusion. See, even if all the metroids are killed off (I wouldn't be surprised that they are not) Samus is now part metroid, filling the title criteria.

Seeing as Metroid was Gunpei Yokoi's mind-child, I wouldn't blame Nintendo for wanting to retire the game in some sense. On the other hand, KSSU hadn't once credited Sakurai, so who knows where their priorities lie.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »
Not really a spoiler if you fail to preview your post to verify you closed the tag correctly.

I thought the Metroids were wiped out on different planets, so they could just invent another planet for Samus to go to. When asking how the Metroids got there, just say Samus forgot to exterminate one or two along the way.

And I'm sure there will be more Metroid games in the future, as sure as there will be new Mario and Zelda games. Sure, Metroid games may not appear as often, but they'll come. I'm not so sure on whether we'll see a new Donkey Kong title though...
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »
Metroid has managed to find a way back in to the average gamer's eye, and Nintendo isn't really the type to pass up another franchise game, so the Metroid series probably does have a future.

Plus, if I remember correctly, didn't Metroid Fusion drop a few hints that the Galactic Federation is secretly producing Metroids? Sounds like they have more sinister plots in mind...
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:56:58 PM »
Samus killed all the Metroids, but not the metroid! anyway I would love a Hunters 2.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:13:57 PM »
I wouldn't. A new, epic-scale 2D Metroid is desperately needed.

So, in other words, the series has no future but what we make. [/Terminator2]
every

Sqrt2

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 04:53:08 AM »
I'm entirely sure that there is room for another game or two to be inserted before Fusion. After all, I want to be able to fight Mother Brain and Kraid in 3D (if Ridley keeps surviving, I don't see why they can't either).
AA fanboy and proud!

Print