Print

Author Topic: Talking Advice.  (Read 6639 times)

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 02:12:23 PM »
Uhh, there is. Unless you want to say "TaLKing advice", not "TaKing advice" then you do.

Anyways, back to questions.

Orginized is my middle name.

Poorly is my first.
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 02:27:59 PM »
It has that name because I need talking advice, and that name made it more specific.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cows are like donuts, they are only good if you eat them.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 02:30:48 PM »
Ohhh, okay... My mistake.

-----------------------------
Orginized is my middle name.

Poorly is my first.
Most Wishy-Washy

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 03:14:22 PM »
The social stuff I was talking about doesn't necessarily mean school events. You can join some kind of club you don't even care about or even one that you do(a club that has regular meetings IRL, of course)! Perhaps some kind of youth center thing that has a "teenager" theme to it. It doesn't matter if it's something you want to attend or not, if there's a lot of people there, it'll do the job.

The animated House Musical.

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 02:35:50 PM »
It's working! I'll get another chance to talk later on today, I'll post here later to tell if it works. :)
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 02:55:28 PM »
Do you want my adivce? Stay silent when you don't know what to say in a situation. Better to be thought as an idiot at socializing than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2005, 05:40:11 PM »
... Good thinking! If you might not succeed at something, don't try at all!

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2005, 07:08:11 PM »
I say whatever I wnat in vocal conversations and never regret it, even if they dont like what I said.  I dont regret it because I know that was me speaking about what I think, and not someone speaking for me.
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2005, 08:51:19 PM »
It worked! I'll keep on doing this and see if I get any better.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 09:32:04 AM »
Congratulations, BMF1!  Keep it up.  Now I was going to tell you something but maybe you don't want to hear it now.  But I'll say it just in case you still want more advice (if you can call this advice).  Here's what I had to say:

I think I might be able to help you a little with this, BMF1.  I have some trouble making conversation with people as well (because I need more self confidence and experience), but I have a few tips for you if you want to hear them.  I got this information in a great library book called “How to Make People Like You (in 90 Seconds or Less)” by Nicholas Bootman.  Some of the book sounded kind of “out there”, but overall it had lots of good points.  So many in fact that I wrote down several of them for myself, and I still have them today.  I doubt that you will find all of these useful but here’s what I got:

(1) When getting ready to talk to someone: Line up your body with the person you are talking to, make Eye contant, Smile, and then give a friendly Hi.  Show them pearly whites!  Or corny yellows.
(2) Know what you want to get from your conversations (as far as what people think of your conversations with them), find out what you are getting from them, then change what you do until you get what you want.  I’m not sure if I would ever try this.
(3) Open your heart to your listener (don’t cross your arms in front of your chest) so they don’t feel “shut off” from you.
(4) Thoughts = body language, so think positively about yourself and others and then you’ll act more confident.  You have to first think good of yourself before you can of others.
(5) Match your voice tone and how fast you talk with that of your friend, and synchronize your body language with theirs so they unconsciously start to like you and don’t even know it.  According to the book,  55% of people talk at a fast rate, 15% talk medium, and 30% talk slower and they prefer it if you talk the same speed they do.
(6) When describing things for  people, find out if they are a visual, auditory, or kinesthic kind person so you can know the best methods to use (like describing the look, sound, or feel of things).  And if you know this you can give people gifts that match their personalities, such as a CD for an auditory.
(7) Remember that 55% of what you say is based on visual (body signals), 38% is vocal (sounding confident), and 7% is verbal (what you actually say). 
(IIX) Avoid closed questions that result in only a yes or no answer such as “Are you…?” ”Do you…?” and “Have you…?”.  Instead ask “open questions” that start with who, when, what, why (the best one), where, and how.
(9) Speak from your abdomen to make your voice sound more appealing (I still don’t know how to do this).
(10) Give people something to remember you by.  Like a certain little thing you occasionally say or do that is goofy or really thoughtful.

For some reason I can’t remember any of this stuff very often but maybe you’ll be able to.  It just takes practice, experience, and getting your mind off of yourself long enough to learn about your friend.  One of my favorite quotes from my pastor is “Each of us has two ears and one mouth because we should listen twice as much as we talk!”  And with that I wish you good luck, and remember that nothing beats a simple “Hi” followed by the question “What’s new?”  So… what IS UP with you?

And about that underwear thing, If I pictured people in their underwear I would probably start laughing nonstop and everyone would look at me like I was crazy.  Or I might ask people what kind of underwear they’re wearing so I could get a better picture in my mind, and that would be even worse.  Or maybe I would… not talk to people period.  Because I can just imagine the look on your face right now and it’s not very assuring. XD
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 09:36:13 AM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 09:40:36 AM »
Great Stuff YR ;D, I did know about some of that stuff, but it's still just as useful, also I am going to a short camp-out later on today, and I'll try that stuff out.
I'm a horrible person.

Print