Print

Author Topic: Re: Nintendo on the Rise  (Read 2874 times)

« on: November 30, 2002, 12:48:57 PM »
Xbox is getting beaten by a lot of things, and GCN is just one of them. Oh well, Xbox deserves to be beaten.

On another hand, Metroid Prime and Fusion are doing well, unlike Nintendo's recent hype-suckers *cough*starfoxadventures*cough* j/k ;)

I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Sue successfull. I''d be looking forward to a lot of Japanese text in video games since their main translator quit for letting me push them around. Oh well, I could hire my own translator now!
I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Sue successfull. I''d be looking forward to a lot of Japanese text in video games since their main translator quit for letting me push them around. Oh well, I could hire my own translator now!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 08:56:43 PM »
Starfox Adventures RULES
AND THAT IS ALL THERE IS TO IT

I mean, Metroid's cool, but SFA is better than anything in recent history.
The problem is, SFA didn't get ENOUGH hype.

Anyway, soon, we'll have the new Zelda... and F-ZERO... and Star Fox Armada (which isn't looking so hot)... and other stuff... which will increase Nintendo's sales even further!!

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 06:57:51 PM »
Were any of you ever surprised at this? Man, the XBox is gonna just fade away from the big console race. Power doesnt always mean your gonna win.
He who fills his pockets with the rocks of misdeeds shall surely sink in the River of Good Fortune!

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 07:11:40 PM »
Were any of you ever surprised at this? Man, the XBox is gonna just fade away from the big console race. Power doesnt always mean your gonna win.
He who fills his pockets with the rocks of misdeeds shall surely sink in the River of Good Fortune!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 10:25:37 PM »
Precisely.
I'm not surprised at all, but of course, being the dedicated Nintendo fanboy that I am, I hate Xbox anyway.

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 05:24:08 PM »
Chupperson, could you tell me more about Star Fox Adventures? I was looking forward to it before it came out, but I didn't get a chance to buy it when it did. Nintendo Power treated all right, but I've heard not-so-great things about it from others. I'd really like to hear the thoughts of someone who's pleased with Rare's only GCN contribution.

--------------------
MarioBros of the past is Watoad of the future. That is to say, I changed my user name from MarioBros to Watoad.
[I will stop using this signature once I deem that my name change is well enough understood by everyone who cares.]
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 10:47:50 PM »
You've done it now.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2002, 01:04:08 AM »
AHh hhaaaha Ahahahaha ... verrrrry funny
Anyway, I've noticed an interesing thing among gamers... there are two kinds: people who absolutely love SFA, and people who absolutely hate it. This has been the case for every review I've read for it.
Anyway, what is there to tell? As far as the technological aspects are concerned, this game has it all over everything else. Fur rendering. 3D grass. Great textures. Absolutely AMAZING cinematics. The characters seem to real to me... and that's one reson I love it. The story is excellent... Krystal is just what Fox needed... ahem. Back to the game. The play mechanics are like a greatly improved Zelda engine... the only two things that aren't so great about it is that occasionally someone (or something) will give out a stupid huge burp, which I find unnecessary, and the game is a tad linear. That doesn't bother me though, because I like to play it over and over again. But there aren't any fancy story elements like if you do something now, it changes something later... but anyway... the last 10% of the game is really the best... and the ending makes you feel "all warm and fuzzy inside" to quote Calvin and Hobbes... the game ends with the beginning of a love story, more or less, and SCREAMS sequel. I just hope they (EAD at least) make a sequel... and that Krystal is around for it. She is just plain cool. Also, the music is top-notch and it's really cool because D. Wise (does anybody know his first name?) used pieces of the themes from Starfox 64 and integrated them with the new stuff he (and Ben Cullum, who is also Falco's voice... interesting...) wrote.
There's even some interesting stuff that ties it in with the plot from SF64 quite nicely. There's even a message from James McCloud, somehow...

To sum it all up, the plot is great and has a few nice twists (don't want to spoil the ending again), the graphics are the best to date on any console, the main characters are almost real, the voices are great, the music is excellent, the gameplay is better than other adventure games, and it even blends it with classic Starfox gameplay. You should get it.

You should all get it. It's spectacular.

"Thus has it ever been! Thus shall it ever be!"
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2002, 02:02:18 PM »
I rented SFA.  It's pretty cool, but it started out slow.  If you try it, give it some time.  It's huge.  It seems to me like a cross between Zelda, a semi first person shooter without all the guns, and the original Star Fox.  It is definitly the best game of its type, but I prefer SMS and Zelda: OoT.  I'm only at 7% so far, so it will probably get even better.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2002, 08:06:15 PM »
Perfect, Chupperson. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Now, if I can just keep my eyes closed and ears shut until I get a chance to buy this game, my thoughts toward it will be completely positive and everything will be okay.

And ooze, you're funny. You called that one.

--------------------
MarioBros of the past is Watoad of the future. That is to say, I changed my user name from MarioBros to Watoad.
[I will stop using this signature once I deem that my name change is well enough understood by everyone who cares.]

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2002, 11:50:03 PM »
Today the music from Cape Claw (you'll get there when you're about 35% through the game) has been haunting me all day. It's really cool and has some people singing in the background... and a flute remix of Krystal's music (which you'll hear prettymuch whenever Fox is with her).
The only thing that's kinda disappointing is that Krystal stays trapped in that crystal for just about the whole game, until you get the final Krazoa Spirit... so I hope they make another game where you play as her more than the little bit that you can in SFA.
Yeah, Luigison, it does start a little slow, but the atmosphere of the whole thing just blew me away the first time I played. For me, it just seems so utterly right for some reason. Who knows...
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2002, 12:15:35 AM »
While you're at it, is there anymore you could say about the music? Is it pretty good? And varied?

I am a big fan of game music.

--------------------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2002, 12:30:04 AM »
Oh yes, it is a sonic tapestry that...
Oh well, it's just some of the best darn music you can find in a game.
Yeah, it's got all kinds of stuff... bongos, military type stuff, action music, really mysteriously cool music, and Krystal's music just about makes me cry... which is weird, since it's played on Saxophone. But the melody is sweet and tender, especially in the credits version. In short, I love the music, and I am big on game music myself.
While I'm still talking about the credits music, it's really good because it's a medley of the Starfox theme, then an awesome rock remix of the asteroid music (like from Meteo of SF64 and all the flying levels in SFA), and then Krystal's music... *sigh*

Another thing I noticed while playing it today is that it's rather like a movie score, in that some of the music (especially during the cutscenes) doesn't really stick in your head or anything, while the in-level music can be quite adhesive to your memory.
And another cool thing is how the music changes sometimes depending if you're walking around, or dodging barrels that come flying at you, or riding a jet bike, and stuff like that.

If people don`t appreciate good taste, that`s their own problem.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 12/23/2002 10:16:40 PM
That was a joke.

Print