Print

Author Topic: Do you have an accent?  (Read 16108 times)

« on: December 20, 2005, 11:27:24 PM »
I'm just curious as to what kind of accent people have. I was born in Scottland so, obviously I have a European accent...

What kind of accent do you have?

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 11:30:32 PM »
Australian, in a way.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 11:36:51 PM »
Good thread! *Remembers MS Paint topic*
Anyways, I can't say I have one, but I can sound like I have an Italian accent.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 11:40:43 PM »
I have a bit of a hick accent, being born and raised in the middle of the Hick State.
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 11:42:07 PM »
I have a long southern drawl or as Watoad put it, a "twang".  I'm from Mississippi, but now live in California.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:42:40 PM »
I have a bit of a hick accent, being born and raised in the middle of the Hick State.
What excactly is a "Hick"?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:09:51 AM »
I live in Ohio, of course I don't!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 12:30:08 AM »
If you're going to ask someone what a hick is, you'd be asking me. They're very... er... simple people. I'm surrounded by them.

As for an accent... I don't. Well, I guess someone British would think I do, but I talk like a regular American-type of person. That's so boring. I wish i had a cool accent. Great jaerb for a topic.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 12:38:35 AM »
Koop has a Deezer accent! :D

Accents are all relative; everyone always has an accent to someone else. I have a typical American "non-accent" accent, or something. I've lived in Maryland, Northern Cali, and a very non-Southern-like area of NC where almost no one I know is from originally, if that helps.

According to this test I just found thanks to Google...

Your Linguistic Profile:
75% General American English
15% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

And according to this test, I'm:
57% (Dixie). Right on the Mason-Dixon Line
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 12:50:34 AM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 12:40:54 AM »
"Deezer accent," ahahaha!

I'm from near Chicago but I don't think I have a full-blown "ChiKAYgo" accent or anything. Although, I would say I have a slight drawl. (Of course, the way YOU talk sounds normal to yourself, so nobody here is going to think of themselves having an accent.)

When my buddy and I met some e-friends from Oklahoma years ago, they claimed we had slight accents, but only in certain words with O's in them or something.

When I met MB, who is from Virginia, I didn't notice any accent.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 01:51:47 AM »
I don't have an accent, except maybe the word "sorry".

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 01:59:42 AM »
I try to conceal my east Texas accent but it sometimes pops out when I'm not listening to myself.  I also say "y'all" and "ain't" without realizing it.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 02:14:33 AM »
I don't have an accent, except maybe the word "sorry".

What?!! You are totally afflicted with the phenomenon known as Canadian rising, as if you were born in that mysterious land of the north. We discussed this in LA (though I hadn't learned the term "Canadian rising" yet), and most or all of us agreed that you sound like a Canadian. Your /o/ sound (as in Watoad) especially gives away your true identity.

A Malaysian friend of mine who went to elementary school in Oxford, England told me that my English sounds like standard, international English, which apparently means the general lack of an accent. There may have been a Japanese person or two who told me that as well. In any case, it's possible that accents aren't all relative—though I haven't studied the subject myself, and I've no idea what the "officials" would be using as the control against which all other accents are determined.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 02:27:49 AM »
So you're saying that my /ai/ and /au/ become /œi/ and /œu/, respectively?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 12:18:50 PM »
Here's something from Koopaslaya. Do we still think he sounds like me?
Deez_vs_Koop.mp3
Original: deezblitz.mp3
The "Deezer" Accent.

Ah yes, and Sapph's test.

85% General American English
10% Yankee
5% Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Upper Midwestern
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 07:40:14 PM by Sapphira »
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print