Print

Author Topic: Mario Universe Voice Acting Mysteries, Etc.  (Read 40787 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:40:04 AM »
I considered posting this in the 7 year old thread, "Luigi's voice," but.... I'm sure you'll see why I wouldn't want this little "discovery" to be plastered at the bottom of a forgotten topic. (I'm not sure if someone has already debunked it, but as far as I can remember, no one could figure out what I'm about to explain.)

Please provide examples of voice-acting snippets that you may not understand and want answered, answer others' question, etc... ya know, do what a forum usually does.

Anyway, I just popped in Mario Party 2. I am always Luigi, then I set Mario, Wario, and Peach as COMs. Well, when Wario screwed up in a mini-game he said what everyone thinks is "D'oh, I missed." Well, being in German for three years, I instantly understood what he said after all these years I haven't played it and almost forgotten about it. It's not "D'oh, I missed it," or "D'oh, I missed," like everyone used to argue. Rather, it's, "So ein Mist," which is a German phrase usually said when you find out something has gone to the way-side.

"So ein Mist!" directly translates to "So a manure," which to a native German would be understood as "So a manure[bag]," which would finally, to our English-speaking ears, basically be the same thing as saying, "Ah crap." The phrase has the same impact as saying "Ah crap" in English, which I don't think would've been wanted to be said in a Mario game.

Now, I'm not saying OMFG CONSPIRACY NINTENDO SECRETLY TRYING TO SNEAK THE WORD "CRAP" IN OTHER LANGUAGES INTO THEIR GAMES IS MARIO AGE APPROPRIATE???, but I thought that it was very interesting.

Also, another question that I've never seemed to get an answer for: What exactly is Mario saying when he throws Bowser in Mario 64 at medium power? I've always understood it as... kinda, "So long, (KAY-pal-juhn)," but I know it's something like, "So long, [???] Bowser." Some have argued that it's an Italian word similar to "paesano" from the SMB Super Show and, of course, people always have to say "LOLL DUR HE SAIS, SO LONG GAY BOWSER," but really, I'm interested in it and want to know what he says.

Is it "So long, King Bowser"?
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:55:06 AM »
I'm not sure the Wario thing was intentional, but I love his international voice from the '64 era. (MK64's fall voice tops the charts)  I've wondered about that Mario clip myself.

Also, I'd like to know if the "gibberish" samples from the M&L series could be transliterated into rough English...
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »
Add Mario vs Donkey Kong to that. After beating one of the worlds, Mario spits out a long string of Italian/gibberish/goodness knows.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
Wario says "D'oh/No! I missed!"

Mario says "So long-a Bowser!" (it's his Italian accent kicking in)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:00:14 AM »
Toad is right on all counts.
Also, the gibberish from the M&L games isn't supposed to be words! It's a representation of the Bros. speaking with their accents.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:17 PM »
Well, it was interesting to toss around for the moment. I figured he wouldn't be throwing out German for a deformed italian plumber clone kinda guy. It does sound horribly similar and it would've been a bit more applicable to the game....as in... when's the last time you spilled a drink or something and said "D'OH I MISSED" instead of something like "Ah.. crap..."

I do, however, really love Mario & Luigi's Italian gibberish.

I thought TMK had voice clips of the gibberish at one time...??? Or am I mistaken... because I swear I got the .wav from somewhere and this is the only place I know of that would have something like that.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
In SM64, it sounds like Mario says "Popsicle" when he chose which star you're going for.

People say they've heard "Lets-a-go" but I can only speak for what my ears hear, and they heard "popsicle."
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:33:38 PM »
Let's a go and popsicle....hmm.... I dunno about that one.

I am curious as to how Martinet comes up with things like that off the top of his head.

Guess it stems from his "mamma mia, we gonna make a pizza, you go get the blah blah" that he always reenacts when talking about his audition for the part.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »
But the fact remains, he does say "let's-a go", not "popsicle".
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 01:46:13 PM »
Well, yeah, I know. I meant it in the kind, Texan way of saying "Umm.....no."

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »
Pfft... One time, my sister was trying to convince me that Mario, in fact, said "Ms. Pickle." What kind of sense does that make?
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
I always heard "Time for the dough bag!" when he got a star in SM64.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 03:56:34 PM »
I think I wrote this in to the mailbag a long time ago (or maybe a mailbag on another site), but I always heard the Bowser-throwing voice clip as "Holy Moses."

Also, when you pick a star, he clearly says "Hot pickle."
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Sqrt2

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »
Mario says "So long-a Bowser!" (it's his Italian accent kicking in)

I'd say it was more like "long-ee Bowser"...

AA fanboy and proud!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »
I can practically never understand anything anyone says in the WarioWare games, or the music therein.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print