Print

Author Topic: Do You Read?  (Read 16984 times)

« on: May 29, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »
I read a lot. Mostly I read Stephen King and weird stuff like that.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »
Well, we obviously do if we're on the forums.
Ditto used Machop!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »
Do I Read? Not books, if that's what you are talking about.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
Me? Mostly magazines, short stories and the like.
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »
I read a lot. Mostly I read Stephen King and weird stuff like that.

Explain how Stephen King is "weird," please.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »
*Sigh*

I've made a thread exactly like this before, but I suppose it's long and gone. I read a lot of Hemingway. I also really like authors from the beat generation, like Kerouac and Bukowski.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Explain how Stephen King is "weird," please.

I don't mean he's weird, but his books sure are. Then again the supernatural elements are only metaphors.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »
His style of writing certainly isn't weird.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
I wouldn't call him or his works weird. I would describe both him and his works as "creative."

I think that a major problem in today's society is that we label anything or anyone that is creatively different, new, or nonconforming as "weird." Being weird sounds a lot worse than being creative. You could easily call the works of Stephen King, the music of The Mars Volta, or the art of Andy Warhol "weird," but I honestly do not think that the term give due respect to the artists.

I'd like to say Stephen King's works are creative.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
That's what I was trying to aim for, when I call something weird I generally mean uniqe or creative. I like Stephen King because he uses supernatural elements and "weird" going ons as a way to comment on society and the world around us. The Stand IMO is defintley his best followed very closely by Insomnia.

Just wondering, but does anyone here listen to music while they read? I do that all the time. Nothing like a little rock to go along with a story.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:47:54 PM by ZGDK »

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »
I try to focus only on reading, but I'm not one to multitask.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:54:16 PM »
I try to focus only on reading, but I'm not one to multitask.

Oh, I find that music helps me concentrate and get into a new book.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »
I don't really like to read, but sometimes I have no choice because I'm in AP English. A Tale of Two Cities was a great book, but I hated the other books I was forced to read (Metamorphosis, Grendel, Frankenstein, 1984). This does not mean I hate school, I just don't like old literature.

I also read the Bible for spiritual guidance.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:29:25 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
I read 1984 for fun, I really liked it.

As for me, I have a lot of required reading for school, but I try to read on my own but I never seem to be able to. I'm trying to read Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo, but I'm reading that very sparsely. I guess my reading habits are taking a break, like they've done numerous times before.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »
I need to read 1984... I thought it looked pretty good.

I read a lot more of what I wanted before I got back into school. Now, I haven't been able to do that much... but reading Don Quixote was rather fun in contrast.
I'm a horrible person.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
1984 is one of my favorite sci-fi books, because it deals with political change rather than technological change. Plus, the torture scenes with O'Brien were excellent.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
Books? No.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:51 PM »
Heck, in my family, I'm synonymous with reading--I've been doing it since I was three (my parents told me that after my first days of school, I was frustrated with being taught things I already knew). Novels, short stories, magazines, elaborate online articles... I read 'em all (not with music, though--I can't concentrate like that). One thing, though--I can't stand most of the classics. Frankenstein? A mess. Tale of Two Cities? A massive irritation. The Chosen? It literally gave me a headache.

I think I already detailed my favorite books/authors in a separate thread, so I won't trouble you with that.

As for Stephen King, most of his stuff I read has been short stories, which are indeed weird (The Lawnmower Man, anybody?). I think the only novel of his I read was one of the Richard Bachman ones (The Long Walk--does for hiking what Jaws did for water).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »
Dracula is an excellent book.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 07:58:23 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but I especially enjoyed King's novella The Body. Later, I found out that it was made into a movie, entitled Stand By Me. Usually, the book is better than the movie. This time, however, I think that the movie worked extremely well. While the novella is excellent, the movie is even better. Highly recommended for any fans of Stephen King.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »
Tale of Two Cities? A massive irritation.

I loved the book because I can relate to Sydney Carton. Really, he's one of my favorite literary characters ever.

Also, I probably shouldn't have said I didn't like 1984, 'cause it was actually pretty good. So yeah, disregard that last statement.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:30:38 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 11:03:55 PM »
TEM introduced me to the Dark Tower books. Thank you, TEM.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 04:46:25 AM »
Question: TEM.

Do you still have those same books checked out from the library? If so, I think that they might[/i[ be a little bit overdue.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 06:42:09 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but I especially enjoyed King's novella The Body. Later, I found out that it was made into a movie, entitled Stand By Me. Usually, the book is better than the movie. This time, however, I think that the movie worked extremely well. While the novella is excellent, the movie is even better. Highly recommended for any fans of Stephen King.
I haven't really seen any Stephen King movies, but from the plot synopses I've read, it sounds like the movie adaption of 1408 is much more exciting than the story.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »
I just started reading books on my own. I just read Dean Koontz's "Watchers" and Stephen King's "The Mist". I plan to read Stephen King's and Peter Straub's "The Talisman" over the summer.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
I just started reading books on my own. I just read Dean Koontz's "Watchers" and Stephen King's "The Mist". I plan to read Stephen King's and Peter Straub's "The Talisman" over the summer.

Make sure you read the sequel to The Talisman: Black House too. Just be warned it's VERY slow, but still good.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 12:57:16 PM »
I am just now learning about this sequel
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
I am just now learning about this sequel

It takes place about 20 years later. But be warned it has some heavy connection to The Dark Tower so if you've never read The Dark Tower you may be slightly confused.

I like how Stephen King connects all his books together using the tower.

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
Yeah. I read TOO much. My teachers tell me NOT to read, LOL.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I read a lot when I was homeschooled, but I read a lot less when I went to high school, where the books for our book reports had to be picked from a list, and we couldn't do one on a book we had read before, so I wouldn't read even over the summer, because I was afraid any books I read would be on the list next year, and they would have been wasted. And most of the books on the list bored me. Especially Don Quixote. Worst book ever. I read Harry Potter 7 in about 8 hours my first time through, though. I try to read the Bible every day, but not as much as I wish I did. Other than that, I don't do much reading anymore, at least of books. I never really got back into it after high school. I've got a whole bunch of books lined up that I really want to read, but I never seem to find the time.

[/fence of text]
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
^So you could just lie and say you have never read it before.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »
I thought Don Quixote was good. Sure it stretches on, but so does all old literature from our modern standards, and you have to keep that in mind as you read it. It's very funny for its time. For a novel from the early 1600s, it was certainly good at making me mildly giggle. I found humor in something that old, and I suppose that is what made me appreciate it. 

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
Actually, I don't even think I read the whole thing (Don Quixote). I believe it was just one part of the whole thing, since we read it out of a 10th grade literature book. But I thought it was funny from the stuff I read. Seriously, all I usually read from the 1600s was Shakespeare, which was incredibly serious, then I find that there's a "parody" book on the chivalrous Arthurian legend stories. I thought it was pretty awesome.
I'm a horrible person.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 07:03:56 PM »
I was going to post here saying that there's already a thread just like this, and that this thread doesn't need to be here because of that, but I guess I won't. ( http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=9063.0 )

I read frequently. Douglas Adams, Dr. Seuss, J.K. Rowling, Guitar Player magazine, lots of non-fiction about music and instruments, some C.S. Lewis, (I didn't finish the Narnia series.) Jane Austen... I read a lot.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
Actually, I don't even think I read the whole thing (Don Quixote). I believe it was just one part of the whole thing, since we read it out of a 10th grade literature book.

I recommend checking out the actual book, because I can guarantee you that the 10th grade literature book company defiled the writing somehow. They are all over suggestive material and long words like scrubbing bubbles.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 07:03:46 AM »
Among the books I read during the school year that just ended, I read almost the entire Discworld series - everything except the young adult books (which are sitting on the desk in my room waiting for me to read them), Where's My Cow?, and the art book. The year before that, I read through the Left Behind series, Isaac Asimov's Robot and Foundation series (never did get into the Empire books), and the Sandman series (I read a few other graphic novels, including The Dead Boy Detectives, V for Vendetta, and Watchmen). During my freshman year, I read all of the Dune books except for Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune, since they weren't out yet (I've since read them, and still don't know what to think of all of the prequels and sequels written by Brian Herbert). Since I haven't read them yet, I'll probably read the Dark Tower books next year, taking a break at some point if Raising Taxes (the next Discworld book) comes out while I'm still reading them.

...I also read a lot of manga. Death Note pretty much sucked, Naruto is much better when you don't have to hear "BELIEVE IT!" every ten seconds (note: I have never watched the anime, only heard it coming from the room next to this one), JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is freaking awesome and I need to get volume 6, Buddha is pretty cool, Azumanga Daioh was hilarious, and I still need to read past volume 3 of Yotsuba&!...and then there's all the other stuff I read or have read that I'm not going into any sort of detail about right now, including Fruits Basket, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Chobits, Love Hina, Negima!, Cromartie High School, Initial D, and the first Star Trek manga...also, there's a very large manga called Ode to Kirihito sitting in front of me that I'll probably start reading later today.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2008, 08:52:38 AM »
My friends are slowly turning me into a giant anime/manga fan. I've watched anime, yes, sometimes even on a regular basis, but haven't really gotten into (i.e., when the anime block comes on Adult Swim, I flip to other channels unless I'm too fat and lazy to reach the controller). Pretty much the only manga I've read is the Cloverfield/Kishin internet one. Now my friends are pulling some sort of intervention dealie and getting me manga volumes and anime DVDs. And it might possibly be working.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
Every time I see the title of this thread I think of some sort of army/airforce conversation.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »
Roger that.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2008, 08:09:53 PM »
"Roger, Roger."
"Over, Over."
"What's your vector, Victor?"

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »
Uh, that's not how it went.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »
Did you watch Airplane 1 and 2?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
Roger and Victor weren't even in the sequel :-p

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »
Well, dangit, I heard that line somewhere!

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »
Books? Not that much, but I've been trying to push myself. Infact, I think I should do that now.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2008, 09:46:01 AM »
Eragon, Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, andything that's good.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2008, 02:57:29 PM »
I prefer sci-fi over fantasy.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2008, 08:50:04 AM »
Try Soon I will be Invincible
*Language/Suggestive Elements Warning!*

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Do You Read?

That's an odd question for an internet forum.
"it's always the present"

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2008, 03:13:48 PM »
I've  finished off most of my Wheel of Time collection, and I've still got one more volume of History of Middle-Earth and I'll be done. I also like the NIgh****ch series, and now I'm reading the Edgar Rice Burrouse series' from 1912... and a LOT more.

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »
I just started reading the talisman.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2008, 07:48:39 AM »
I'm reading through the Batman: No Man's Land collection right now.  Does that count?

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
yeah, I'm pretty sure it counts

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
I have read many books. My latest series I have read (even though it is not complete.) is the Twilight series, which consists of Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. The final book comes out sometime in August. The book's name is Breaking Dawn.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2008, 05:18:11 PM »
I've been reading Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra. It's an amazing book; too bad the Nazis defiled it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:27 AM »
Anyone ever read the Maximum Ride series?  It's somewhat cliched and written for young teens, but not altogether a bad read.

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
One of the only books I'll never read is Stephen King's The Stand. I hear its really confusing because theres a lot of characters in it, and you have to keep going back to catch who's who, and eventually you got to start keeping a list. I saw the mini-series just the other day. It was great.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »
I think the latest book I read was Cell.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2008, 09:45:41 PM »
A lot of people on this forum read Stephen King.

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2008, 07:39:51 AM »
I think the latest book I read was Cell.

I'm reading that one now. My top 5 favorites from him are:

1-The Stand
2-Insomnia
3-IT
4-Rose Madder
5-Desperation

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2008, 11:23:13 AM »
After I got out of high school, I don't read very many books anymore.  I haven't felt very motivated to finish the seventh Harry Potter book.  I do more online reading nowadays (forums, fanfiction, online articles).
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2008, 09:34:03 PM »
1-The Stand

I hear that book is quite confusing. There is many MANY characters in it, so you have to keep going back to figure out who is who. Eventually you will have to keep a list. Thats why I saw the mini-series instead.

Print