Print

Author Topic: Spin-offs ruining the franchise?  (Read 21155 times)

« on: March 27, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »
As in, melting Mario into a lifeless sellout thingy?

I mean, how many more sports do Mario and the gang have left to play?!?

They'd really need more canonical adventure games.

What about Sarasaland?
Is Waluigi a true character already?
Will we see Isle Delfino again?
Is DK's universe now completely tied into Mario's?

Stuff like that.

Also, ever notice how one-timers sometimes appear again, but only in the form of spin-offery? Daisy, Piantas, Bowser Jr., etc...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:08:22 PM »
"Ruining" seems like an exaggeration to me.

Every developer wants a piece of him, and the big N is OK with it since it grabs them a quick buck and allows them time to create the next big Mario game.

Besides, if you got a regular Mario game every three months, you'd probably find something else to complain about, like them not being refined due to being crapped out so quickly.

Most of the spin-offs play pretty well, anyway. Some could do with a bit of work (Mario Superstar Baseball) while others need to either die or get a complete overhaul (Mario Party), but otherwise, are they really that bad as games?

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »
Yeah, "ruin" isn't exactly the word here. But it seems these things are, like, overshadowing them.

It seems Mario Party 8 is actually going somewhere with it, with its Wii-Remote functionality. But as for it being "too similar all the time", that's just the way Mario Party is usually played. Same rules, so where would it be if they changed too drastically?

Besides, if you've never played a real board game before and take it out on Mario Party, shame shame shame on you. :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:14:03 PM by BooDestroyer »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
They could stand to fix the drab board game mechanics and introduce more drastic mini-game types. Not to mention every new idea they have isn't really used to it's full potential.

Examples:

-Mini/ Mega Mushrooms from MP4
-Super Duel Mode from MP5
-Day and Night system from MP6
-8-player Mini-games from MP7

Plus many more.

My idea to revamp the series came in the form of Mario Party DS, which utilized Wi-Fi. It would have a numbered card system a la Sonic Shuffle (which I know was an abomination, but that had many flaws that MP doesn't have) in place of the dice, which could work well for the touch screen, and have 8 players on the map at once. Multiplayer would alloe Wi-Fi capabilities for this. The Mini-games would be touch-based and come in both 4-player and 8-player varieties. There's also be a system where one set of 4-players moves around the board while the other set plays a mini-game, in order to accommodate 8 players as well as save time. I'm also thinking they should release one game that acts as a remake of the first three, with all the boards and all the mini-games. Those were the best in the whole series.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:51:54 PM »
Not in the least--even if you ignore the spin-offs (I mostly do) we still have a decent series. Mario Kart is necessary though.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 05:35:57 PM »
Ugh. I am so sick of people saying crap like "spin-off's are messing up the Mario franchise."

If you haven't noticed, the Mario spin-off titles actually HELP Mario when it comes to money. And send me to the eternal realm of blasphemy for saying this, but many of the spin-off's are fun to play. Mario Kart, Tennis, Party, Strikers......my God, the list goes on. Not only do the spin-off's present multiplayer to the series, they let everyone play as somebody else other than Mario.

I swear, if I see another one of these, I'll explode.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:44:52 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:27:11 PM »
Well, he's got a big point; the Mario franchise in becoming watered-down. At this point, I don't think just a new Mario platformer would work; we'd need a Mario game that literally creates a new genre.

Oh no, I think I just started a flame war.
every

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 03:54:36 PM »
No you didn't. We can talk about things without bashing each other, right?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 05:52:27 PM »
Glorb is sort of right. We need something that'll change the face of Mario forever. SMG is sort of like that, but it seems to use things from the past as a crutch. I'd like a Mario game with a bit more substance. Like a decent story and characterization, along the lines of Paper Mario, but a bit more serious, and not set in a side series. It should have mature themes, as well.

Keep in mind that when I say "mature themes", I don't mean violence and sex and junk. I mean a story that actually relies on an adult level of understanding. The universe that Mario resides has huge amounts of potential for many things. I'd like to see that potential tapped into. Who says a great platformer can't have more than just revolutionary gameplay?

For those who have trouble figuring out where I'm coming from, I suggest you have a look at the Oddworld series. Those are a fine example of a game thats revolutionary in terms of both gameplay and arts.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »
Glorb is sort of right. We need something that'll change the face of Mario forever.
Plastic surgery?!
SMG is looking pretty good. I hope a crappy plot won't ruin it.
"Mama Peach? I'm your mama...?" [Peach thinks long and hard as Bowser's name is not and has not been mentioned once.] "So you're Bowser's son?"
Yeah, SMSu had a really Dukary script. Yet it had Yoshi... who didn't come in green unless you starved him... and turned to mush in water.
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »
I think the Mario games should stick with the goofy, self-parodying style of Paper Mario; I think a Mario game with a genuinely serious tone would be crapola. Now, by goofy, self-parodying, I don't mean it shouldn't have a good story. I just think that humor plays an important role in the plots. Of course, the humor shouldn't rely solely on lame in-jokey jokes, either.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 05:49:27 PM »
I guess it could have a serious plot while at the same time retaining the comical moments. I mean, Paper Mario 2 had a pretty dark atmosphere with tons of humor. I'd like that style to be used a bit more often, and maybe gear the plot and humor towards a slightly more mature audience.Sorta like how the new TMNT movie is geared towards the adults that grew up with the old series as a kid.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 05:56:25 PM »
The Thousand-Year Door had just about the best plot in a Mario game ever. Serious as it was, 'twas still awesome. There's no possible way for a Mario game to be 100% serious, though. It's gonna have comic relief, inevitably.
One thing I've been thinking over... the only games that really feature THE Yoshi, that one, green Yoshi, are the spin-offs... that is, when it's sure that it's him. SMRPG and SM64DS are two exceptions. All other times, though, it's like, "You're a green Yoshi, but you're no different from the rest of the Yoshis in the game, so we can't really be sure." Which I find lame. Toad is in the same position, though I suppose there were really seven of THE Toads to begin with. All I'm trying to say here is, there should be a game in which Yoshi and Toad are distinguished from the rest of the Yoshis and Toads.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »
Paper Mario 2 did have an awesome plot. It's what kept me playing 'till the end.

SMS had a terrible plot, BTW. It was just.....ugh. Peach was just about as worthless as ever (I mean, if she can't figure out if Bowser Jr. is her kid or not, then Mario's got trouble if they ever get together). Bowser wanted to destroy Mario by.........um, destroying his vacation (go figure). Ugh, Fludd is just about the only thing that made SMS enjoyable.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 07:22:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure Bowser's plot was to put Mario in prison, allowing him to swipe Peach without trouble.

Print