Print

Author Topic: Spin-offs ruining the franchise?  (Read 21159 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »
But the wish-granting deal gets old too. That element seems to be getting less popular in recent Mario games, thankfully, but come on... when did Bowser Jr.'s wishes really even come true in SMSu? Wouldn't he just wish Mario was dead using the brush?
FLUDD was a neat-o character. Too bad his game was festooned with poor scripts and plot holes. It would have been cool if, like, Bowser and his son had the same scheme, but E. Gadd and Luigi had come with Mario as well (as NPCs, you can't ever get enough). When they realize a Mario double was defacing the island, Gadd quickly builds FLUDD and Mario gets to work. When Peach is kidnapped, Bowser Jr. explains he was given the brush by his father and that Peach is his mother (after which she promptly protests with things like, "Um, no I'm not,"). A bit of patching can clean up so much.
Peach needs to be more like Zelda. That only seems to be in the RPGs though. Now I think of it, she's "useful" in EVERY Mario RPG. She's bashing things with frying pans, sneaking around castles, setting up traps for evil witches, sneaking around secret bases, and sealing alien princesses in stars.
Long post with Mario RPG spoilers. Sorry.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »
What I don't understand is that Luigi is left out of nearly every major Mario game (besides Mansion, which was of course a Luigi game). He's in most of the RPG's and the spin-off's, but he's left out of the platformers.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 04:34:08 AM »
To me, as long as they consistantly release platformers, adventures, and RPGs, it's okay to have karts/sports/parties too, so long as they don't replace the "main" aspects of the series.

Also, Luigi left out of the platformers?

Just recently, he was in Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros., and it's being heavily implied he has a playable role of some kind in Super Paper Mario as well.
I'll think of a better signature later!

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »
Sure, he was in the DS games, but when is he going to get a huge role on the console platformers (besides Mansion)?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 05:34:15 PM »
Luigi does good as a vehicle for a sub-series within the series. I think he'd be good as the star of a point-and-click adventure or something of that nature.

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »
I think some spinoffs are ruining the series. Mario, Luigi, and Peach appearing in those SSX and NBA games along side people that have never been to the Mushroom Kingdom, that's completely messing up the original story.

Mario and Luigi followed a scream for help they heard (according to Mario Bros) , and followed the pipes all the way to the Mushroom Kingdom (events of SMB play out). After rescuing the Princess, they agree to stay with her and help her and the Kingdom out until they can find a way to get back home to Brooklyn (events of SMB2, 3, World).

I think that after saving her in SMW, they realise there is little/no hope of them getting back home, so they ask the Princess to help find a place for them to live (thus where their house came from in SMRPG), and after getting all moved in, they decide to show the people of the Kingdom what the Bros do for fun in the real world, and thus the spinoffs start happening.

What I want to know is if a search party has been sent out to find the Bros? They disappeared on the job, didn't they? Wouldn't their former employer wonder what happened to them?.. and Pauline, Mario's first girlfriend. If she was originally in Brooklyn, how is it she can come back for games like Mario vs DK?

Speaking of DK, how is it he keeps appearing in Mario games? He was supposed to be locked up in a cage in the Brooklyn zoo, wasn't he??

I realise that most of this probably belongs in the Mariology thread, but I've often thought about things like this.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
I think some spinoffs are ruining the series. Mario, Luigi, and Peach appearing in those SSX and NBA games along side people that have never been to the Mushroom Kingdom, that's completely messing up the original story.
Those have absolutely no chance of being considered canon. In those games, they were just characters making an appearance.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 05:53:36 PM »
I'm assuming Toad hasn't played the DKC series, then.

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 06:10:32 PM »
I'm assuming Toad hasn't played the DKC series, then.

I have. Great games and all, but I still don't understand how the DK character is appearing outside of Brooklyn. I understand Cranky Kong is the original DK, and the one with the tie is the origianl DKjr, but how did these characters come to be in the video game world? How did they come to live on an island with a giant monkey head on the rock face?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 06:26:49 PM »
and the one with the tie is the origianl DKjr

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
Continuity in Mario games, looooooolllllllllolpppppllllllllllpppppp;;;;;;;;;;;lokll==--------00000000000000000ooiiiilllllllllllllllol
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 06:32:35 PM »
Oh, if only that goose hadn't stolen that copy of The Complete and Entirely Accurate History of the Important Game "DONKEY KONG."

(click here if you don't remember it)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 06:32:58 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

What? He is the original DKjr, isn't he? I believe the DKC instuction manual told us that, as did the Player's Guide.

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 06:59:29 PM »
Ding-dang it, they're just games. None of them are considered canon, in my opinion.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 07:33:27 PM »
I've completely given up thinking about the "canon" of most games-- it's just too much thinking for little reason.

Print