Print

Author Topic: Spin-offs ruining the franchise?  (Read 21154 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 08:06:29 PM »
Ding-dang it, they're just games. None of them are considered canon, in my opinion.
Just the spin-offs or the main games?

I've completely given up thinking about the "canon" of most games-- it's just too much thinking for little reason.
* MaxVance fires Suffix out of a canon
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Every game, Max. They're just games. Miyamoto and whoever is in charge of the spin-off's did not have "canon" in mind when they made the games.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:10 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Didn't Leigh Loveday of Rare confirm that that was their intention from the beginning, yet they weren't sure if Nintendo was OK with it, resulting in it not being shown in-game until DK64?

Oh, and Toad, I'd say Donkey Kong 1994 on Game Boy should give you bit of an idea on the Arcade/DKC connection. It shows DK Classic(Cranky)'s homeland at the end, at there is no Brooklyn in the beginning, unless the original construction stages before Big City are supposed to be Brooklyn.

Actually, the whole Brooklyn thing was just used by NOA in the franchise's early days for thing like the Super Show. It's never been used in the games and probably shouldn't be regarded. Yoshi's Island is proof of that.

Oh, and those of you denouncing the canon lack creative effort.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 08:17:29 PM »
DK94 (not 64, mind) greatly confuses me.. We have the DK with the tie (today's DK) kidnapping Pauline, and there is another DKjr (which I've always just assumed evolved into Diddy, since Diddy and DKjr have never appeared in the same game) which helps this DK out.

Is the DK in DK94 supposed to be the original DK, or the DKjr turned DK DK?

I've also always just assumed that after Yoshi's Island happened, Mr. and Mrs. Mario took the babies to the real world so that they could grow up away from the threat of Bowser and his Troopas. I have yet to play Yoshi's lsland DS to see what happens in that game..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 08:24:28 PM »
Every game, Max. They're just games. Miyamoto and whoever is in charge of the spin-off's did not have "canon" in mind when they made the games.
There's obviously a HINT of continuity (Kamek recognizes the Mario Bros. in M&L:PiT for example, going along with YI, as well as Bowser claiming "I've failed before, but I can't mess up this time!" on numerous occasions.) But nothing to get all debaty about. I'm pretty sure you know this, but like, no prior game seems to have any critical effect on a Mario game's plot.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 08:35:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure you know this, but like, no prior game seems to have any critical effect on a Mario game's plot.

Hmm.. that seems about right. The plot is all in our heads. We're just making things up as we see fit to try and make sense out of a non-sensical (sp?) game series.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 08:43:40 PM »
Nonsensical is a word.
Yeah... but, like it's no reason to post for hours about how this happens and where that came from. In the end, nothing is really accomplished at all. You could've spent that time playing games!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2007, 06:48:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure you know this, but like, no prior game seems to have any critical effect on a Mario game's plot.

There's some continuity in the RPG's, but like you said, no prior game seems to have an effect on the games plot. That's basically what I meant, that the producers of the game didn't really care if one plot contradicted another.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
DK94 (not 64, mind) greatly confuses me.. We have the DK with the tie (today's DK) kidnapping Pauline, and there is another DKjr (which I've always just assumed evolved into Diddy, since Diddy and DKjr have never appeared in the same game) which helps this DK out.

Is the DK in DK94 supposed to be the original DK, or the DKjr turned DK DK?

I've also always just assumed that after Yoshi's Island happened, Mr. and Mrs. Mario took the babies to the real world so that they could grow up away from the threat of Bowser and his Troopas. I have yet to play Yoshi's lsland DS to see what happens in that game..

I'm almost positive that DK'94 is supposed to be an extension of the arcade game's plot. A re-telling if you will. At the end it shows Mario in the Mushroom Kingdom ingesting a Super Mushroom, then apprehending DK. This is obviously meant to show how Mario got to the Mushroom Kingdom, which might not even be located on a separate plain of existance.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 10:49:55 AM »
News flash: The Mario games don't have "plots" in the traditional sense, at least not big, overarching plots. Games in the series almost never (ALMOST never) reference the events in other games.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2007, 12:56:14 PM »
You sure about that? Because there are plenty of references to M&L in PM2, and stuff from previous games reappear a lot. This ain't Alex Kidd or anything.

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
I've completely given up thinking about the "canon" of most games-- it's just too much thinking for little reason.
*Braindar picks up a high reading*

BTW, it's true. The "canon" of Mario is apparently just as abysmal as Zelda's timeline. Sometimes, you'd know how the lobotomy patients at DKU call Banjo and Conker "officially in DK's universe" all because they both appeared in Diddy Kong Racing once. As early promotion for their games.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:54:58 PM by BooDestroyer »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
The Legend of Zelda has a very loose timeline. It's apparent the Ocarina of Time came first, and likely that Phantom Hourglass is to be looked at as the most recent (not just in release dates). OoT explains where Ganon came from and The Wind Waker shows the end of Hyrule. As PH is gonna be TWW's sequel, that makes it most recent. XP
And the rest of them fall between them. Don't ask me when, 'cause I don't know.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2007, 04:08:23 PM »
I think Masamune of Gamehiker is more insane than the DKUers with his "Triforce of Time", but you can't stop fans from being fans.

The DKU isn't as bad as most think. I post there every now and then, and I don't see anything wrong.

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »
I think Masamune of Gamehiker is more insane than the DKUers with his "Triforce of Time", but you can't stop fans from being fans.

The DKU isn't as bad as most think. I post there every now and then, and I don't see anything wrong.
They're just overly militant about the future of DK, acting like there's nothing more important to them in life than that. And that it'll be the end of the world if he doesn't get awesomed up hard.

Now, what did Masamune do?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:58:28 PM by BooDestroyer »

Print