Print

Author Topic: Spin-offs ruining the franchise?  (Read 21158 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 06:27:51 PM »
There's this article at Gamehiker about this theory he came up with for tying the games in the Zelda series together. It's clear that he put a lot of thought into it, but it seems like the most asinine thing I've ever read.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »
Bird Person, Eiji Aonuma said that Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker occur in different timelines. TP happens after the end of OoT in the past, but TWW happens after the end of OoT in the future. So Wind Waker is only one possible timeline out of at least two.
That was a joke.

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2007, 12:41:53 AM »
I basically didn't understand that at all. Explain in more depth and perhaps also link to this statement.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2007, 12:48:43 AM »
The Wind Waker branches off from the ending of OoT seven years in the future, after Ganondorf has taken over Hyrule, and they have to try to repair it after that.
Twilight Princess branches off the Young Link era in OoT, in which thanks to Link they find out about Ganondorf's plans and stop him before he has a chance to take over.
Ask MB for a link because I don't remember it.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2007, 08:10:32 AM »
Really, the only bad Mario spin-offs were the ones Nintendo didn't make (Super Mario Strikers, Mario Party Advance, Super Mario Pinball... heck, I forget some of those games even exist now and then). I think the spin-offs are OK; I mean, they make money and we have fun (most of the time). That's the whole point here, right?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »
Hudson made all the Mario Parties and Camelot made Mario Tennis and Golf. What are you talking about?
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2007, 02:07:28 PM »
Ah, that makes sense to me.
Anyway, to get back on topic... I've said this before but this is why you're forced to buy Mario Kart every time (That is, the reason I got each one)
Super Mario Kart: Neat-o, a Mario racing game. It sure is fun!
Mario Kart 64: NINTENDO SIXTY-FOOOUUURR!! Four players, three-dimensional tracks... Yes!
Mario Kart: Super Circuit: Awesome, portable Mario Kart!
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!: Two characters per kart! My 64 controllers are dying, so this should bring multiplayer back.
Mario Kart DS: Online! New and old tracks! Portable! Multiplayer with anyone who's got a DS--no hassle of link cables! YESSS!
Except my card is busted and Wi-Fi doesn't work. :(
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 09:48:48 PM »
Hudson made all the Mario Parties and Camelot made Mario Tennis and Golf. What are you talking about?
No, I meant that not all the Mario games not made Nintendo were bad, but virtually all of the ones that did end up stinkers can be lumped into that group.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »
Super Mario Strikers was not bad.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 11:16:55 PM »
Didn't Leigh Loveday of Rare confirm that that was their intention from the beginning, yet they weren't sure if Nintendo was OK with it, resulting in it not being shown in-game until DK64?

Read this: http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/mailbag_040719.shtml#52  I did eventually find the Loveday post, but it didn't really say what you're saying, and in the face of the other evidence isn't really significant.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »
What other evidence is there? Cranky can't seem to shut up about his days as an arcade character, obviously indicating that he and the current DK are different characters. Also remember that DK Jr. has pretty much vanished without a trace.

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »
What other evidence is there? Cranky can't seem to shut up about his days as an arcade character, obviously indicating that he and the current DK are different characters. Also remember that DK Jr. has pretty much vanished without a trace.
That's just a common old people stereotype where they're preoccupied with "what life was like back in their day".

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »
Yeah, except that not every old person talks about being the star of their own video game.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »
I'm not entirely sure you read my post correctly.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2007, 12:54:58 PM »
just take the storylines from the Original Marios... I have never heard of M&L and never played any of Paper Marios but in the original 3, Mario and Luigi are from NYC and got lost in a pipe that took them to the MK.  This is also in a book made about Mario from Nintendo Power.  At the same time the marios appeared, Peach is kidnapped with her toads... The mario brothers where first helped out by Peach before she was kidnapped and went to work for her as plumbers.  After hearing of the kidnapping they feel bad and go to her aid thus initiating SMB 1,2,3 etc.  They want to get home but are not sure.  I am assuming Pauline found the pipe eventually and came through. 

The old Kong (I think Cranky) from the DKC series is DK from the Arcade not the DK from DKC.  DK jr was DK's dad from DKC.  I am assuming that the DKs followed Mario through or that they have there own world and came to brooklyn then found there way back to MK.

I want to see Wart again though and I think Nintendo messed up to not use Characters from SMB2 again and also to get rid of the 7 bowser children from SMB3 for Bowser Jr.  They should make a new Mario game with DK and his crew in it that has Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, King K Rool, and Wart all as enemy bosses.  Have DK as a boss that when you beat him he becomes playable.  Make it 4 player with Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Mario, Luigi, Toad, and DK as playable.  (make DK, Diddy, and Kirby unlockable when you beat there stages). 
Go Vols!

Print