Print

Author Topic: Does SPM mean new perspective to the series?  (Read 6053 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« on: April 15, 2007, 08:56:04 AM »
We have seen SPM before and it's platforming fused with RPG, still, it's more platformer than it is RPG, do you think that this new blend means a diffrent direction for future Paper Mario games, or that Intelligent Systems and Nintendo will go back to the good ol' RPG way? Post your opinions here!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 08:59:50 AM »
I think there needs to be more Mario games of this ilk. I swear I thought of a Mario platformer that draws on both 2D and 3D perspectives many years ago, and about last year I thought it would be cool if a Mario platformer had RPG elements. I'm thinking IntSys will probably try their hand at something completely new, though...

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
I don't really think so. It was an awesome concept and all, but using it again may wear it out. Cough Mario Party cough.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:08:50 PM »
I guess Bird Person never heard of Zelda II or all the Castlevania games since Symphony of the Night.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »
In my opinion. They should get rid of the long bad story lines and dialog, and just make it an a platformer with the RPG elements. Maybe they can even lengthen it up a bit?
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 07:22:45 PM »
Mnrgh... grumble...
Zelda II was technically not in 3-D though.
In my opinion. They should get rid of the long bad story lines and dialog, and just make it an a platformer with the RPG elements. Maybe they can even lengthen it up a bit?
What.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 12:49:39 AM »
I was saying there was too much cut scenes and dialog, and not enough levels.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 12:58:24 PM »
Uhhhh, no, the traditional amount of worlds (or chapters) in Mario games is usually eight. Having more would ruin the tradition, besides, the long screens get you more into the game, after all,  the stories are awesome.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 01:21:55 PM »
If it didn't have cutscenes and dialog, it wouldn't have been developed by IntSys as part of the Paper Mario series. I really could go for a more traditional Mario game with some RPG elements added for good measure, though.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
It would still have been developed by Intelligent Systems because they're the main Nintendo development department besides EAD.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
I meant that IntSys is known for the Paper Mario series with it's dialog and everything. If Nintendo wanted to make a regular Super Mario game, EAD probably would've done it.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »
I think I like the regular RPGs a bit more, but SPM is still pretty awesome. Eh... well, the dev team folks said they wanted a new spin on the series because it was getting predictable (perhaps so...), and that after this, they may do another new take on Paper Mario entirely...

Hmm... first-person? Text-based? *shudders*
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 07:32:28 PM »
>Look
You are in a dungeon. Above you is a ? block. Behind you, a Goomba, and before you, a Hammer Bro on a brick block.
>Jump
You hit the ? Block and crush the Goomba, but your timing was off and a hammer has lodged itself in your brain. You shrink to regular Mario.
>Hit block under Hammer Bro.
The Hammer Bro. dies. You walk merrily through the level and you see a bottomless pit.
>jmup over bottomless pit
Error
>jump over botomless pit
Error
You fell in the bottomless pit. Why didn't you jump over it? Game over.
Play again? Y/N
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »
The way I see it, all text-adventures are pretty much the same, just with different themes. Not to say a Mario-themed one wouldn't be awesome, though.

I incidentally once had this idea for a Shadowgate-style point-and-click Mario adventure. Can't remember much from it, though.

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »
That was great, BirdPerson. XD

I don't think there should be a first person Mario game, because not everybody likes first person games. It would appearl only to a small audience.

.. and because the first person to play it would likely complain about it.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 04:09:10 AM »
Hmm... first-person? Text-based? *shudders*

Yoshi's safari was sorta fun =\

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 08:41:51 AM »
Yoshi's Safari on the Wii would rock the casbah.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »
Well, I hope they go back to the rpg way, but then again, they can just make 2 different Paper Mario series.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 06:41:59 PM »
They should mix things up and make the next Mario and Luigi be for a console and the next Paper Mario for a portable.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »
That doesn't sound too bad of an idea. Maybe they can have 1 for both a portable and a console.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print