Print

Author Topic: Why no NSMB on Gamecube  (Read 7631 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
You can still order another one from Nintendo!
I know about ukemi, LD, but I am not as good at VJ as you, apparently.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
Why bother with NSMB on the Wii? I mean, on portables--especially the easy/short-game-laden DS--you can get away with making a fun, but still half-baked retro-esque (Mario) game, but on the GCN/Wii (well... MAYBE the latter)?

Personally, I don't like the whole "DS and Wii version" companies are doing nowadays, but I'll save that for another thread.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 12:25:15 PM »
I'd rather have NSMB on DS than Cube.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 09:51:06 AM »
Now that I think about it, that might not actually be too bad... of course, they'd have to make it, like, $20, or no one would buy it, and it would probably be real short. Super Paper Mario, I think, is the closest we've got at this point.

...Now, another Super Mario All-Stars for the Wii, only with NSMB-or-better graphics... THAT"S somethin' to think about.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »
I don't see a problem with NSMB on Gamecube. I haven't even played it on the DS, but I think it would be good. Unfortunately, they stopped making any more Gamecube games.
They'd have to make it, like, $20, or no one would buy it, and it would probably be real short. Super Paper Mario, I think, is the closest we've got at this point.

Do you mean that Super Paper Mario is really short, or do you mean it's the closest we've got to a NSMB on a console?
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »
^ It's the closest to a side-scrolling Mario platformer on a console we've got (Short? I actually got, like, 20 or so hours outta that one--and I'm still technically not done)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 10:08:53 AM »
Oh, okay. Thanks for covering that up for me.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 09:39:17 AM »
I've stopped playing SPM at this point, for no reason. I dunno why. I was too thinking a DS Player would be very good idea.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 11:12:05 PM »
A way to play DS games on a large screen would be nice, but the problem is, how? The remote could take care of touch control, sure thing, but how to pull off the two screens without something terribly awkward? If the two screens are put as in screen shots (example) on the TV screen, the necessary scaling would likely make the screens pretty small on most TVs, making touch control difficult (I picture the remote being used to point at the screen, and the player pressing A or B to "touch") and possibly defeating the purpose of playing on a bigger screen.
Switching between them, perhaps? Oh, but games in which watching both screens is vital... A challenge. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time could make it, this way, as could Kirby: Canvas Curse. Phoenix Wright games would be impaired here, with touch control (yeah, you COULD use buttons) and handling other stuff on the touch screen being really important, but all the visuals on the top screen.
There's one last problem... Control. In games like New Super Mario Bros., you used buttons as the main form of control, but there's still the necessity to touch the reserve item every once in a while. With the DS you can hold the stylus between your fingers and maneuver it over to the screen when needed. I can't picture the Wii Remote being used as an efficient cover for the DS's button layout, at all. But it'd be used for touching, no doubt. For those tight situations where you must get that reserve item, how can you do it? Put down the Classic Controller/GameCube controller quickly and grab the remote, point, select, then grab for the other controller? My hands are pretty big, and I can't hold a Wii Remote between my ring finger and pinky easily.
Conclusion: I just don't think there's a way. It'd be great for some games, like Mario Kart DS, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Partners in Time, and to some extent WarioWare: Touched! and possibly Planet Puzzle League. Some games wouldn't get everything out of it, like Brain Age--no microphone. The number of DS games that would play flawlessly without the DS wouldn't be very impressive...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 09:29:14 AM »
NSMB could still work if just the top screen was on the TV.  You'd have to look at the DS to play reserved items or play underground areas.  Of course I'm assuming using the DS as a controller like The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure.  I don't see Nintendo doing this, but I'd like to have a third party product like was done with the GBA. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print