Print

Author Topic: Don't Move, Mario!  (Read 11945 times)

« on: August 22, 2007, 10:50:33 PM »
This Joystiq post has an uber collection of hacked SMW levels where the stage automatically beats itself, without Mario having to do anything.

My favorite is the 4th one down, where it goes to the music!

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/22/dont-move-hacked-mario-world-levels-play-themselves/

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:58:14 AM »
WOW! This is literally Amazing!!!!!! I've never seen anything like it!
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:57:26 PM »
Very strange (Mario on top of the huge monty mole.....funny, but weird) but awesome nonetheless.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »
In the forth video, I noticed there was some stuff in the video (such as blocks that push the player in certain direction, and block that changed Mario into Luigi and Vice-Versa when touched and being able to ride one of those purple dinosuar enemies) I don't remember being in the game. Could it be that those elements could only be found by hacking into the game, or did the person create them?

Other then that, absolutly amazing.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:03:38 PM »
Maybe an abandoned concept that would instantly switch players...?
Neat. Neat. Somewhat repetitive down the line (literally, mess with more than moving lifts...), but neat. Whichever video had the sprite edits was cool too (I believe the same one with the brother-switching block), with Rex replacing Yoshi and Luigi replacing an enemy...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
Yeah, people make all these weird "Custom Blocks" That do other stuff not in the game, like an instant death block, a gravity altering block, and others.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 10:10:23 PM »
Yeah, people make all these weird "Custom Blocks" That do other stuff not in the game, like an instant death block, a gravity altering block, and others.

Really? Interesting...

It's too bad that that stuff wasn't actually in the game :(
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:09:08 PM »
Being a (recently retired) SMW Hacker myself, I must say I'm impressed. Not in the "Wow, great game!" way, but in the "Wow, that's just crazy!" way.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »
I think this was referred to as a "Mario Rube Goldberg" (look it up if you don't know what that is) or "Lazy Mario" somewhere else...

God bless the internet. Every time I think I've seen it all... yeah. Granted, these aren't levels from the game, but it's still mind-blowingly nifty.

Questions:

1: Are they all made by the same people?
2: Where can I get a SMW level editor?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:47:29 PM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »
1. Not sure.
2. The original site is down so I got it here: http://www.angelfire.com/sk2/snesres/smw/lunar.shtml (You also need a ROM to edit it.)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 08:03:19 PM »
Yeah, I THINK it's different people...

Two more queries:

1: Why are they all the Japanese version?

2: How recent is this? All of a sudden, everyone's talking about it, but the quantity and varied titlings (YouTubewise, at least) suggest they've been down the block, so to speak.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »
1. Because some Rom's used can also be Japanese versions.
2. It's been going around for a couple years, but it wasn't that popular until just a year ago or so.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:02:01 AM »
The Original paper mario for the 64 was at first announced as Super Mario RPG: 2. And in the beginning the screenshots looked alot like SMRPG: 1 But then It changed when Square/Enix backed out away from nintendo. So We ended up with Paper Mario 64 nintendo's sole take on The RPG format for Mario. And don't get me wrong Paper Mario and Paper Mario TTYD were awesome games with great RPG quality. But it didnt get close to reaching the aura that SMRPG presented. And now Square and Nintendo are working together again and Nintendo Releases Super Paper Mario for the wii, They keep the Paper Mario graphics and quirkiness we are acustomed to at this point but they drop the RPG part (still a great game i must say). Here is My thought: there is alot of rumors going around about a SMRPG Remake and/or a Super Mario RPG Sequal, A True Sequal. Do you think the real reason Super Paper Mario dropped the RPG part out is because Nintendo is secretly working on putting out a Real Super Mario RPG Sequal with Square and they didnt want to make Super Paper Mario an RPG because they were afraid it would take away from the Nintendo/Square Mario RPG when it comes out? I hope i havent confused anyone with this question I just wanted your input because I just have this feeling that Nintendo and Square have something in the works and it would make sense that Super Paper Mario dropped the RPG part if they wanted to make a big Nintendo/Square True Super Mario RPG Remake or Sequal.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 01:59:26 PM »
That... that has to be one of the most off-topic post I've seen since I've been here.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »
What the....

I think he posted in the wrong topic. O_O
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print