Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2  (Read 33253 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »
The title strikes me as a bit odd, considering it's the third "New Super Mario Bros." and appears from that screenshot to be using SMB3 as its touchstone. Does this mean there could be a New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Wasn't the whole point of calling the first one "New" so they wouldn't have to deal with all the numbering confusion (SMW is SMB4 in Japan, but not America; Yoshi's Island is SMW2 in America, but not Japan; Yoshi's Story may or may not be Yoshi's Island 2; etc)?

I guess it won't be too bad as long as they can come up with another word that ends in "ii" for the third console version (after New Super Mario Bros. Mii).

Here's some more screenshots with some Chinese guy talking over them:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6lf_cp8C9A" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6lf_cp8C9A</a>
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6lf_cp8C9A" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6lf_cp8C9A</a>

"Neu Supel Maleo Bluzzers Teu"

The golden sprites have me especially intrigued.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »
(after New Super Mario Bros. Mii).
Oh yeah. I forgot that "NSMBW2" was already announced. XD

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »
(squee)  Okay, I really should consider getting a 3DS at some point in the near future now.  Heck, original NSMB was pretty much the sole thing that convinced me to get a DS.  But actual flight powerups?  What is this nonsense?  Does this mean actually mildly explorable levels?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:50:28 AM »
Oh yeah. I forgot that "NSMBW2" was already announced. XD
It's kinda like how there was a cartoon 101 Dalmatians, then a live-action 101 Dalmatians, then a live-action 102 Dalmatians, and then a cartoon 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure (and the original novel version, which also had a sequel (something about a nuclear war and an alien/angel dog, according to Wikipedia (I need to read that now)).)(I like all this punctuation at the end of this sentence.).

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 05:02:06 AM »
Looking forward to this.

Noticing how every store that sells these games is still kinda pushing NSMB for the DS at it's initial price (correct me if I'm wrong, but hello local GameStop locations), I'd imagine there might finally be a price drop to a select grouping of games soon.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 06:58:51 AM »
Looks pretty interesting. Nice to see Raccoon Mario. I hope there is going to be more SMB3 power-ups.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 07:35:01 PM »
I wonder if the downloadable version will be cheaper? Probably not, but one can hope.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
I'm throwing overused jokes at the screen, but nothing's happening.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
If they ditch the NSMB physics, then I'll be much happier. It's mainly the slippery slide animation that gets me. They oughta bring back the old school "Mario puts his arms out while sliding on one foot" animation like SMB 1, 3, and World. (Forgot if 2 does it.)
Formerly quite reasonable.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
The game looks good as usual, but I feel that Nintendo has pumping out Mario games too quickly and not giving us enough real new content recently. While it's true that, for 95% of Mario games, each one is vastly different from the previous, I still think we need something completely original right now. Recently, Nintendo has just been bringing back old stuff and putting it in Mario games, most likely for the nostalgic factor that faded away ever since the original New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. Why not introduce a new world, similar to Dinosaur Land in Super Mario World? This would allow an even greater window of opportunity, since they don't have to worry about making everything too familiar.

New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii were great, but this is pushing the "New" name a whole lot.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:41:42 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »
Isn't that what Galaxy was? Most of the enemies were new, most of the powerups were new, the main race Lumas was new, there was basically a new Princess, the music style was changed completely. They did introduce a new world.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »
That's true, but I want originality like that to be more frequent. Before 2006 or so, mostly every single Mario adventure, excluding remakes, was original and didn't focus solely on bringing back the past. That last statement I just made is what I believe New Super Mario Bros. 2 is doing.

EDIT: Note that Galaxy 1 & 2 are 3D mario games. I forgot to state this previously but I'm referring to the 2D games. I still think they're putting out new Mario games too quickly.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:28:23 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print