Print

Author Topic: Mario core/canon games?  (Read 14829 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »
I may have rose tinted glasses when discussing previous Mario titles.  For this reason I have decided to replay the core/canon Mario series games, but have found many different lists of what is core/canon.  What do you consider the core/cannon or main line of Mario games? 

MB
SMB
SMB2j?
SMB2USA?
SMB3
SMW
SMW2?
SM64
SMS
NSMB
SMG
SMG2
SM3DL

What bout Paper Mario, Mario Party, and the GB Land games?

Full list:  http://themushroomkingdom.net/games/list
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
I've always considered both SMB2s canon, but I don't know if I consider SMW2 to be part of the series due to the subtitle and ensuing sequels being under a different name.  I like to consider SML/SML2 part of the canon as well, though I suppose you could use the same argument there (SML3: Wario Land and subsequent).  And if NSMB is canon, I don't see why NSMBW shouldn't be considered so as well.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
All the "normal" games (Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., all the SMBs, the SMLs, World, Yoshi's Island, Galaxies, etc), I count as absolute canon. Also canon is the fact that Mario enjoys racing, playing golf, tennis, and other various sports as well as board games, although not necessarily everything that is said or done in the games about those things.

I see Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi as existing in their own alternate realities, like the Marvel multiverse. A lot is the same. Bowser kidnaps Peach all the time, the Mario Bros. are renowned heroes, Yoshis live on islands, doodle dee doo dah. But they've got such unique feels to them and each seems to have rules that the others break. Luigi is a chatterbox in PM, doesn't say a word in M&L; meanwhile, both are free to talk in the main series. In both RPG series Mario's hammer is nearly as iconic as his jump, but he rarely uses 'em in the main series. Yoshis clearly speak whatever language everybody else is using in Paper Mario, but are restricted to "Yoshi" everywhere else. The rules of the fiction just don't agree.

And Super Mario RPG is in the same canon as Final Fantasy.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
I wouldn't say the racing/sports/board games are canon, as the villains are cast as mutual competitors rather than antagonists. Also Waluigi.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »
Anything that allows you to freely control Mario with "Super Mario" in the title but not "Kart" or "Strikers"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
Everything is canon.

Everything.

Well maybe not. If anything the licensed games like Mario is Missing! and Hotel Mario are part of the Super Show continuity. Or something. I dunno.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
Yoshis clearly speak whatever language everybody else is using in Paper Mario, but are restricted to "Yoshi" everywhere else. The rules of the fiction just don't agree.
“I know! We should team up! Come on! Hop on
my back!”
—Yoshi , Super Mario Galaxy 2

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »
Didn't Yoshi speak to you in the original Mario World, for that matter?
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
Yep. The first time you find him he talks. He's also able to talk to you in Super Mario RPG (in parenthesis the whole time, and he's the ONLY Yoshi you can understand), Super Mario 64 ("It that really you?"), and I guess Tetris Attack if that counts (Mario's not in it so we don't know if he's speaking English or a language that only the other YI characters can understand).

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
Maybe Mario is a Yoshi whisperer.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
I prefer to not consider SMG2 canon, but nothing else springs to mind.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
The Super Show is canon, no argument.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 04:15:38 PM »
I don't know what to think of the whole "SMG2 is SMG redone after Rosalina dropped a Reset Bomb" idea. I see both games as having happened and am not convinced Bowser's Galaxy Reactor even could have destroyed the universe in the first place, because that's stupid bull[dukar]. There's not really a whole lot of support to the idea anyway, besides the opening apparently having Mario meet the white Luma for the first time... which doesn't look that strange compared to some games seeing fit to have a character remind Mario how to jump
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
Maybe there are multiple Marios like how there are multiple Links which all happen to wear the exact same clothes at some point and have the exact same voice.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
that's even dumber

Print