Print

Author Topic: A Dissertation On Why Hip-Hop Needs To Go  (Read 18039 times)

Red Lewd Uganda

• A Link to the Post
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »
I fail to understand how their meaningless noise got so popular.

"Nowadays, these kids just babble. That's all they do."

Let's see here...

Decimate the profit potential, destroy the business model, lower the barrier of entry, and then minimize what little disposable income adolescents might have once had.

Furthermore, part of what you're referring to is merely part of getting older. Less disposable time leads to less tolerance for anything less than great. Plus, people have a tendency to romanticize the past.
Ante up.

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
I just watched this for the first time though I heard the song and Can't Touch This a lot back then.  Now they seem like some sort of parody or something.  I remember listening to Ice, Hammer, etc with my custom built bass system in my Corolla station wagon for a couple of years in high school.  Man, I was such a Napoleon Dynamite back then. 

To be fair, "Ice Ice Baby" can be considered a twisted perversion of "Under Pressure".
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »
That's because it is.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »
"Nowadays, these kids just babble. That's all they do."

Let's see here...

Decimate the profit potential, destroy the business model, lower the barrier of entry, and then minimize what little disposable income adolescents might have once had.

Furthermore, part of what you're referring to is merely part of getting older. Less disposable time leads to less tolerance for anything less than great. Plus, people have a tendency to romanticize the past.

You're kind of right, but also think of the art itself. Do you hear anything meaningful in mainstream hip-hop nowadays, let alone a decent flow, solid (non-cheesy) rhymes, and actual skill at rapping? I wouldn't complain about it if the style was different and the rappers were actually good, but now people are just using it for their paychecks and 15 minutes of fame.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
Here's somebody who may have the actual rapping skill you crave:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-8PxNtrdw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-8PxNtrdw</a>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:05:53 PM by TheColonelKR »
"I'd love to tell jokes... but you'd probably just laugh at me." -- Scott Burns, the One True Voice of Bowser

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
More like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twcLQxPypkY :)

Fun fact: This song got the duo signed to a record label.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:43:11 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Red Lewd Uganda

• A Link to the Post
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
You're kind of right, but also think of the art itself. Do you hear anything meaningful in mainstream hip-hop nowadays, let alone a decent flow, solid (non-cheesy) rhymes, and actual skill at rapping? I wouldn't complain about it if the style was different and the rappers were actually good, but now people are just using it for their paychecks and 15 minutes of fame.

Well, I'm glad you kind of understand, but I say again, this time perhaps more bluntly. Less motivation for quality through competition leads to less competition leads to lower quality. Not to say that there aren't those out there doing it as a labor of love. I'm sure there are, but it can very hard to see the stars at night through all that light pollution.
Ante up.

Print