Print

Author Topic: Yoshi's Island - World 4 Bonus  (Read 2653 times)

« on: May 01, 2002, 12:24:27 AM »
I've just recently decided to bring out the old SNES for another go around. I've completed SMW 2: Yoshi's Island with 100% in every level except the World 4 Bonus. I'm four red coins short. I swear I've enetered every wall entrance, and I don't know where else to look for those last four coins.

Anyone have any tips?

mindcrime

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 06:19:42 PM »
4 coins eh? (I'm surprised you beat Extra 5 perfectly before you beat Extra 4 perfectly...)

Well, I think the coins you are missing (and the one I always forget) are 4 coins near the right-hand side of the light section (the one without the spotlight). Ummmmm to get there, I think you go to the top of that chamber, than go down a drop opposite the way the arrow tells you to go. After a long drop, The 4 coins are in a small room. After getting them, you go down another drop, and find yourself on the VERY right side of the light area. Hope that helped..... (I am doing this from memory. Remember this. It may be confusing, and I am sorry if it is.)

Any other questions about the game? I know way too much about it.....

And good job getting 100 on Extra 5. I generally die about 10-20 times getting 100 on that level even now.... although about 70-80% of them are intentional (i.e., after missing a red coin or 2 on the skiing part, I don't even bother hopping the next gap. For me, it's either 100 or nothing.)

*My real signature went on strike, said something about "unfair working conditions". So, this is a temporary replacement sig, until I can work things out with the real sig.
~I.S.~

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 11:41:01 PM »
Thanks so much for the help with World 4 - can't wait to try it. I think maybe I have an idea of where you're talking about - if so, I'm kicking myself for not figuring it out. ;)

Actually, I think, without a doubt, that the World 3 Extra world is by far the hardest in the game. Take away the one floating Shy Guy with the red coin and it becomes significantly easier, but it would still be very difficult without that.

I'd probably say the World 5 Extra was third hardest of the extra worlds, and I personally find the skiing levels quite fun, although they're obviously difficult.

The most maddening part of the World 5 Extra to me is the ending sections where you do the helicopter morph - avoiding all the guys throwing eggs is frustrating.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 07:51:29 PM »
THIRD HARDEST?!!?!?!?

It is, without a doubt in my mind (for me), the hardest level in the game.

My rating of the Extras, from easy to hard:

6 (I was quite dissapointed at how easy this one was, but it is rather fun)
2 (My 2nd favorite level in the game)
4 (Hard the first time, easy all the others)
1 (I hate self-scrolling levels)
3 (There are 21 red coins in this one... can you find them all?)
5 (You can often find me killing Yoshi on purpose here just to get everything I need for my 100)

There you have it. The reason I find Extra 5 harder than Extra 3 is because there are 21 Red Coins in it, not 20, and you don't have to worry about the one with the floatin Suy Guy (I know EXACTLY which one you are talking about)

PS: Tell me if those are the 4 you missed.

*My real signature went on strike, said something about "unfair working conditions". So, this is a temporary replacement sig, until I can work things out with the real sig.

Edited by - Insane Steve on 5/2/2002 6:54:46 PM
~I.S.~

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2002, 12:21:17 AM »
Those were indeed the four coins I was missing, and I'm definitely kicking myself. It was staring me in the face the entire time and I didn't even realize it. Thank you for putting an end to my madness. I kept going over and over the world in my head trying to figure out where else I could go, and of course I was overlooking the answer the whole time.

My rating of the extras, from easy to hard:

World 4 (now that I know, there's nothing to it; hard the first time, like you said, but it's a different kind of hard, if that makes any sense)
World 2 (also probably my favorite level in the game)
World 6
World 5 (I die many times on purpose here as well)
World 1
World 3

I don't know where the 21st red coin is in World 3. If you would be so kind as to enlighten me once again, it probably won't take me so many tries to get through that world anymore. ;)

It's still harder to me than the world 5 extra, though - it's all those **** monkeys. ;)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2002, 07:35:49 PM »
Monkeys are cool, don't be cussing at them... ;-)

I think the one EVERYONE is missing is the one near the beginning, immediatly after the rotating 4-way platform that runs you into a wall, There is a mini-Tap Tap the Red Nose hopping on a post with a small 4-way platform on it. Knock off Tap Tap, then (the hard part) pound the post once go get it. This may be more flustrating then the hovering Shy Guy one, but much less dangerous. If you found this one, I will try to list all off them for you...

Ps: I STILL think Extra 5 is harder than Extra 3 or Extra 1. Even though Poochy IS stupid, well, when I play it anyway... ;-) I am thinking of moving Extra 1 to 2nd hardest...

~I.S.~

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 11:12:01 PM »
I found that 21st coin. You're right - in a way it is more frustrating than the shy guy, but I'll still take that over having to start over nine times out of ten because I missed the shy guy as he's floating by.

BTW, Poochy DEFINITELY is stupid. I can't keep count of how many deaths and start/selects that stage has caused me. ;)

Print