Print

Author Topic: Let's design the best Mario game ever.  (Read 12978 times)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2003, 10:45:05 AM »
Oh yeah! That'd be awesome, too! If it were in real-time--like night and day and stuff. Kinda like in Animal Crossing (or Rogue Leader, I think)--the time of day corresponds with the GCN's clock.

Naw, I still like the way battles against bosses were done in SMS and SM64. You have to use the right methods in order to beat them--along with good timing and skill.

There should also be lots of side quests (i.e. Paper Mario) where by fulfilling them will add to your skill/essential build-up items, etc.

Heros should also be able to use a wide variety of attacks and skills, and these would build as you progress in the game or complete certain tasks.

Oh, and here's another thought. (I'm on a roll here!) Since the levels and worlds will be huge--and connecting to each other--there should be a map screen or something that when you press on a certain place, you'll warp there automatically, instead of having to backtrack thru everything.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2003, 01:54:44 PM »
Some of this has been mentioned, but:

It should have a visit to all worlds in the Mushroom World, Bowser being the main enemy, and Wario causing mayhem along the way.  Old friends, like Geno, Mallow, etc., and enemies should be in it.  Much longer game, more platforming, (maybe it could be RPG-like) and, like in SMB3, Toad could own little minigames, and/or shops to buy items, etc.
 n/a

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2003, 09:29:19 PM »
Another interesting aspect could be that it actually has the history from the other games, and retains the characters from SMRPG & PM. For instance, I'd like to see what happened with Raz & Raini, or Gaz, and it would be nice to get a letter or two from Parakarry, and so on. That would be cool.
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2003, 09:34:43 PM »
Yes, exactly. It should basically continue from where the saga left off, like characters would make references from things in past games. Oh, and cameos from previous Mario games. Lots and lots--kinda like what CW said, you find out what's been going on with them.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2003, 06:24:36 AM »
Yes, exactly. It should basically continue from where the saga left off, like characters would make references from things in past games.
- Sapphira

I agree with you. You know, the new Zelda games sometimes have references to past games in the series. Majora's Mask had a lot of stuff that was reminicent of Ocarina of Time...the same with The Wind Waker.

Paper Mario had a small amount of  references to past Mario games, such as the Star Spirits basically being the Seven Stars from Super Mario RPG... Plus the uncountable amount of cameos from Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World...
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2003, 07:35:39 AM »
That's probably a reason why I love that game so much.  Ahh...countless memories...  I especially liked the way they used mostly old enemies, also imcorporating new ones.

(You know the Gloombas in Toad Town Tunnels? How they're a blue-greenish color? Don't they bear a striking resemblence the Goombas that appear in the underground levels in SMB? Makes you think...)

Anyhoo, the game areas should also be consistent (like the location of Toad Town, Koopa Village, Yoshi's Island, etc--AND THE LAYOUT! PEACH'S CASTLE KEEPS CHANGING!), mixing in plenty of old locations in the Mushroom World and Kingdom, and adding LOTS of new ones.

I think Intelligent Systems should design the game. So far, I couldn't be more pleased with the works they've done on Mario games. (Only if they WERE Paper Mario and SMK: Super Circuit.)

Oh, and IT NEEDS DAISY AND WALUIGI! THEY DESERVE TO BE IN A MARIO ADVENTURE! (SML I don't really count.)

--------------------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2003, 11:53:56 PM »
MK:SC, not SMK:SC.
Anyway, Intelligent Systems would be good, but I'd like it from EAD.
That was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2003, 06:01:28 PM »
O.K., I'm making this up as I go along, so just bear with me.

Alot of the above suggestions are great, but I don't really want TOO much RPG stuff.  By that I mean overhead views and turn-based battles.  Essencially I want something like SM64, but HUGER!

You'd be able to pick your character at the start, each with different strengths, weaknesses, and abilities.  I'm thinking Mario, Luigi, Toad, and maybe Peach, though we might just want her be captured again (but we would put a new spin on it!).  It'd be so cool if there'd be a multiplayer mode where up to four players go through the adventure at the same time, as the different characters.  It'd be hard with the split screen, though.

My general concept for this game sounds kind of strange at first.  I'm just thinking of that old Miyamoto-style whimsy.  I was thinking there'd be this sort of "sky world" that Mario (and the rest of the characters, though for now on I'll just say Mario) flys around in Wing Cap style.  It'd be a cross between Rainbow Walk from SM64 and Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64 (there'd be "space" areas as well).  This would be the main overworld.  Mario would fly here and warp to the different worlds of the game.  When I say worlds, I mean WORLDS! Not just levels, but worlds with tons of worlds!  These worlds would each have a distinct "flavour" or theme. I don't mean theme as in "Desert World" or "Water World."  The worlds would each be more diverse and detailed, like our own real Earth.  They just have to be different somehow.  A world could be mostly covered in water with tropical island, making a mix of ocean levels and jungle levels.  The world Mario starts off on, the Mushroom World, would have plains, mountains, deserts, oceans, etc., but with a whole lot of big mushrooms, which is why it's called "Mushroom World."  Yet another world could have lots of mysterious ruins, statues, and temples whoose mystery you must find out, but still have diverse terrain.  You should get the world concept by now.

Anyway, each world would have lots of areas (it's a WORLD), each with its own secrets and objectives.  There'd of course be towns to visit and people to meet.  The different worlds would have a main objective, which would end with a battle with the world boss.  But the quests should be COMPLETELY different from each other.  The world quests can't follow a pattern like "enter location, find out problem, go through begining quest, learn song, play song to enter dungeon, beat boss and everybody happy" (this is what Majora's Mask was like).

Of course, there should be a reason for Mario & co. flying through this sky realm to these different worlds.  Might have something to do with stars.  You can figure this out.

I also want a return of the classic gameplay of the old Mario games, but brought to 3D.  I want super mushrooms that REALLY make Mario grow in size.  This would make him do more damage to enemies, smash blocks, and jump higher to reach secret areas.  I mentioned blocks back there.  I want the return of block platforms floating in the sky, just like in the old 2D games.  Mario should jump higher in this game than he did in SM64.  Another thing about blocks is that there'd be different types that can only be broken certain ways.  Brown blocks can be broken by regular Mario.  Yellow blocks can only be broken by Super Mario.  Red blocks are broken by Fiery Mario's flames.  Green blocks need koopa shells thrown at them.  And maybe Golden blocks that need to be rammed through by Mario when he has a Starman.  This arrangement of blocks would add more strategy to levels.

Those are my thoughts.  There's a lot here, but I hope it's worth it.

P.S.  I just registered yesterday.  Hi everybody!

-----------------------------
Never have I been so wronged.  It is time.
I will show you my real form.
I will show you my true power.
I will teach you respect.
AND I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!!
-----------------------------
Never have I been so wronged...
It is time...
I will show you my real form...
I will show you my true power...
I will teach you respect...
AND I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE!!!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2003, 06:41:10 PM »
Welcome Smithy.  Your ideas are very similiar to mine, but I not telling much of what I think until more people post their thoughts because I don't want to direct the ideas to much.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2003, 11:56:25 PM »
I think that there should be certain abilities the two or more charaters perform together, kinda like how Bowser would huck mario at enemies in SMRPG, but they should be interchangeable such as Mario and Luigi each throw a fireball in the air to create one big fireball to crush the enemies, but when Mario and Yoshi team up Mario jumps on the enemy and then Yoshi eats them, you get the idea. Also classic sound effects should be peppered all over along with new space-age sound effects to create a spicy sound effect sandwich. Ooh Ooh! There should aslo be mini games like the ones in Mario Party to break-up the adventure, plus the ability to grow huge when you use a super mushroom and stay that untill you are hit, not for just 10 seconds like in SSBM. Oh, there should also be the ability fly on a magic carpet, that would be just spiffy.uhhh... I'm all out of ideas about stuff.

I''m not lazy, I''m just... uh...
Like a sponge, thirsty I am!

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2003, 08:05:57 AM »
 Another Mario RPG would be brilliant. Yes, it would!

All Jaffa Cake haters must be exterminated immediately.
"Blue, start over. Yellow is caution. Red is danger."

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2003, 06:16:07 PM »
in order to creaate a game you can't forget a key part WALUIGI WHA! WHA! WHA! WHA!
"elmo knows where you live"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2003, 07:29:46 PM »
Yes, Waluigi and Wario should be in it.

I like the idea of having Starman Mario being able to bust certain types of blocks.  I also like the way Fire Mario could melt ice in SMB3.

I don''t know the html secret, so don''t ask.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2003, 09:50:26 AM »
Too tired to add anything right now, so...
I'm bumping this topic.

--------------------
Deep inside us all is a little green elf telling us to burn things.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2003, 10:10:18 AM »
If this hasn't been said already: The game should contain classic Mario music, plus new music for this game.  Also, I wonder if the Koopa kids deserve to return in this game. (Or are they dead?)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:42:30 PM by Jman »
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print