Poll

Where do you place your Wii's sensor bar?

Above the television
33 (89.2%)
Below the television
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Print

Author Topic: Common "Sense"  (Read 12396 times)

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:04:56 PM »
For all you lucky Wii owners out there: where do you place your Wii's sensor bar? Do you place below your beautiful television and next to your awesomely awesome Wii, or do you place it in triumph over your television set, having it gaze out into the unknown frontier of your living space?

In my case, I do not yet own a Wii. I am still among the millions and millions waiting to get one for a more realistic price other than that on Amazon.com or eBay. But, if I did have Wii, I would think it would work well underneath the television set. But, how about you?
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
On the top of my TV, and my Wii is floored next to my TV.

I don't even know quite why I prefer it on top, I just do.

(EDIT/Off-topic: haha, no clue how I got this CT.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:26:23 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 12:24:38 PM »
I have mine underneath the TV, and I use a rubber band to deal with all the slack.

On a side note, I recently discovered something. I had always thought that the Wii remote emitted infrared light, and the sensor bar "sensed" where the light was coming  from. Not true... The sensor bar has infrared emitting LEDs.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:55:56 PM »
When I first got it, it was on a high-up black thing and it was impossible to set it below. When my room was redone and I got a new entertainment center (hand-me-down) I had it below. Then I moved my computer desk and rotated my TV so I would be able to see my TV from my computer, and I don't think it'd really work to have it below at this angle. In short, above.
Suffix is right. If you take a picture or shoot a video and the sensor bar is in it, the ends glow purple. Isn't that neat-o?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 12:59:27 PM »
I put it below the TV. The TV connected to my Wii is on top of my dresser so having the sensor bar on top would be really high. I also use that little stand for it, since using the tape pads would make it hard to move (in case you wanted to take the Wii somewhere).
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 01:00:42 PM »
Well, it's on top of the T.V, but I'm thinking about putting it bellow, only because I'd rather sit on the floor than in a chair.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 02:27:19 PM »
Our TV hangs on the wall, so I've placed it on top.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 04:06:57 PM »
On top.  Below would make my knees interfere with the signal if I leaned back.  Besides, I have a 50" read projection TV.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 04:47:55 PM »
On top. I was delighted to find that the two colors of the sensor bar (silvery and black) matched my TV's color scheme perfectly. Blends right in! I don't know if anyone's ever noticed it.

By the way, most excellent thread title.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 05:00:14 PM »
I wish the Wii and/or more games had sensor bar calibration like Zelda: TP.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 05:07:30 PM »
I place it above my TV, so that it can gaze triumphantly across the messiness that is my room of living.

.. I've played too much Superstar Saga, and it's sequel, just to see Fawful speak. Sorry. (sorry for being off topic, as well). I HAVE FURY!

I've been thinking of moving the sensor bar to below my TV, since it sits on the top of my entertainment tower (to small to be called an entertainment center), but if I put it below, my VCR/DVD player might interfere with it, so I'll just leave it be, for now.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 05:28:41 PM »
No, your VCR and DVD player won't interfere with the bar. The sensor bar is poorly named in that it does no actual sensing-- it just has five infrared LEDs at each end. The Wii Remote does the actual sensing.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 06:04:05 PM »
My windows sometimes interfere with mine though.  At my fathers house I played facing away from the TV using the stove light.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 06:06:59 PM »
Outside light occasionally interferes if I play in the day.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 07:01:35 PM »
Nothing really ever interferes with the remote. But when I had those Christmas lights over my window, I could interact with all four corners of the screen pointing at the window.
Edit: And everywhere in between.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 07:31:04 PM »
I placed mine on top.  I considered placing it on bottom just to see how that would work out, but I didn't feel like going through with the two steps involved (moving it, and then telling the Wii that it's below).  Besides, I like the way it looks.

I recently got some pseudodrapes in my room so it's always fairly dark in there (and actually better for playing in the day because at night, if that blue LED on the remote is shining in a room with no other light besides the TV, that's death in the corner of your eye, and if you have the light on, there IS a glare, and it IS horrible)

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »
Above the TV. There's no other place it would fit.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 08:10:49 PM »
Mine's on the top of the TV, because it blends with my TV, like LD's.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 02:44:07 AM »
and actually better for playing in the day
That's how my bedroom is, but I only play PC there.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
I don't think I'd be able to put it anywhere when I get a Wii, because there's no room above or below. Maybe my TV antenna can just sit on it. XD
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »
I have it above because, like Luigison, everything would get in the way when I lean back. 

I don't worry too much about interference, except for at night, if I have the fan light on.  With 4 65 watt bulbs, it's a little too bright.  Out of curiosity, has anyone else tried pointing with lights other than the sensor bar?  I can actually get pretty good results from the fan light, but it is awkward at times.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 09:12:10 PM »
I place it at the top of my TV.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 09:30:14 PM »
I'm pretty surprised how many people put the sensor bar on top versus the bottom. Perhaps it's because I don't have my own television.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »
Well, above the TV seems to make "sense" because it's natural for most people to hold a remote pointing slightly upward.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 10:24:36 AM »
Well the fact that you tell the Wii where the bar is seems to suggest that it compensates for the remote actually being pointed at the screen rather than at the sensor bar.
My sensor bar is on top also.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »
It doesn't compensate enough on the Wii menu for my 50" TV.  Zelda seems fine though.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »
I wonder if you were back further if it would work better. Obviously the screen size doesn't actually affect the motion of the pointer, so I wonder what is actually throwing it off.
That was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 10:06:13 PM »
It's always been on the top for me. It works well like that. It'd just be awkward having the cord go around to the front when on top it can just fall back.
Oh well, I didn't even have it for around a week because I left it at home when I went back to school
Good thing the Classic Controller can navigate the menus! Wii Sports works suprisingly well without a pointer, although the Cursor off mode of Twilight Princess is kind of annoying to aim things. I like pointing and shooting!
Hey, wazzap? It's the Phred-guy! Isn't that nifty?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »
In my TV's old position, where I couldn't point at the screen from my throne very well, I was forced to use the non-pointing mode for Twilight Princess. It slipped my mind to change to pointing when I had to move into the living room while my floor was replaced, and so I beat the whole game without point-shoot control. Now I can point at stuff from here just fine. Still, to get all the goodness out of Smooth Moves, you need to stand.
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2007, 12:36:23 PM »
On top of my TV.  Actually it's on top of my VCR, which is on top of the TV.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 08:03:46 AM »
Incidentally, I take my Wii with me too much to bother using the tape to stick it to place.
Hey, wazzap? It's the Phred-guy! Isn't that nifty?

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 11:28:28 PM »
Above. At first I thought it would not fit and I'd put it in the section of the wall unit directly above the TV, but it fits in snugly.

My Wii is connected to the TV through the VCR. Hit 0 twice in the VCR remote, hit 1 to indicate that I want to utilize what's connected to the line-in on the back of the VCR, and press the power button on the Wiimote.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 10:26:04 PM »

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 05:15:48 AM »
Well, now that I've gotten the elusive Wii, I've placed its sensor bar (really mine, she doesn't like to admit it, though) on top of my teeny-tiny TV.

Oh, and Luigison, your TV is huge (not just compared to mine). I am jealous.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
O.O Sweet setup, Luigison!  That's bigger than my family's biggest TV.  Not by much, but still bigger.  I don't play my Wii on it, though.  My N64 is hooked up to our biggest TV because I don't play it on a daily basis anymore.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 06:34:09 PM »
I forgot to put the 56k modem in the image above the TiVo.  Also, my other systems are in a cabinet.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 01:14:49 AM »
Sorry to bump this, but since the Wii Remote has to do the actual work of sensing where it is, do you figure that uses up more power to do that.... and that might be the reason the remote LOVES to eat batteries? (Thank God I bought the Niko Recharge Station).... actually the Niko SUCKS. Don't buy it. It'll work for the first couple weeks, then it'll get really picky about where you put the remote on it. Even then, the LED that turns on to tell you it's charging will blink on and off, and if you even breathe on it when you have it perfect, it wont get a charge. Get a newer type of recharge station. Oh yeah, and if you have the Niko you have to take your remote jacket off, which is a pain to do every time.
Formerly quite reasonable.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 06:02:44 AM »
Sorry to bump this
Normally this is where I would come in and explain that this really isn't a bump.

Normally.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 08:15:26 AM »
Well, as long as we're all awkwardly posting here... above.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »
Sorry to bump this, but since the Wii Remote has to do the actual work of sensing where it is, do you figure that uses up more power to do that.... and that might be the reason the remote LOVES to eat batteries?
I suspect it could be because of the rumble and speaker features, which I use very rarely. In fact, when the Wii says "The power in your remote is low," ignore it. That's just when a quarter of the energy is left, which means it could still be used for a long while. When I got SPM, I began getting the "Low Battery" around Chapter 3, and then actually replaced them when I reached the end of Chapter 7, many, many hours away, when I started getting "Communications have been interrupted" errors.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
Yeah, with Galaxy when it started saying low battery in-game, I could play for another few hours before it finally decided to die.... then I'd just turn around and use my second remote.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »
I guess I should update my picture above since I no longer have a VCR, have DirecTV HD now instead of DirecTiVo, have a PS3, and no longer use a modem.  Also, I moved the TV about 2,269 miles.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »
Is that red car yours Luigison?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »
Nope.  My old house was across the street.  Notice the "2035" on the curb. 

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 05:55:10 PM »
Whoops, wrong direction. Wasn't paying attention ahaha I started looking around the city.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
I suspect it could be because of the rumble and speaker features, which I use very rarely. In fact, when the Wii says "The power in your remote is low," ignore it. That's just when a quarter of the energy is left, which means it could still be used for a long while. When I got SPM, I began getting the "Low Battery" around Chapter 3, and then actually replaced them when I reached the end of Chapter 7, many, many hours away, when I started getting "Communications have been interrupted" errors.
Yeah, I don't give in until then, either.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 10:26:38 PM »
I bought one one of those battery chargers, where the charger thing plugs into the back of the Wiimote. Now I just set it up every night after I'm done playing.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print