Print

Author Topic: The Afterlife  (Read 23359 times)

« on: September 23, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »
Do you believe there is an afterlife? Do we continue to exist when this life is over, or do you think that once we die, that's it?

Personally, I have a hard time believeing that once we die, that's it. I like to think that we retain everything that we learned/remember, and take it with us to.. wherever we go. As to being able to communicate with those who are still around, I would like to think we could do it without scaring or haunting them, like visiting them in their sleep/in their dreams (that's apparently the way my relatives do it: I had a dream about grandpa after he died [before I knew he was gone] and he said he was fine, not to worry about him).

Let's try not to fight about it, please.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
You confess and believe Jesus Christ is Lord (not do good deeds or have good karma), you go to heaven.  Everyone that doesn't goes to Hell.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »
Darn. Guess I'd better watch out for Cyberdemons.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »
I haven't got a frickin' clue. Unlike most people, however, I just deal with it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 04:51:32 PM »
There is obviously not an afterlife. While alive, your brain processes sensory input from all your organs and tricks you into thinking you're something more than a collection of molecules hanging together only to help replicate and spread a certain type of molecule that happened to become very good at doing so. Once that brain stops functioning, "you" will be no more, not that you'll have the abillity to care about such a thing anymore, and the protons, neutrons, and electrons that happened to be forming your body when you kicked the bucket will eventually part ways and spread among the stars once more.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »
Since logic cannot dictate an afterlife, I have no clue.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:55:39 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
There is obviously not an afterlife. While alive, your brain processes sensory input from all your organs and tricks you into thinking you're something more than a collection of molecules hanging together only to help replicate and spread a certain type of molecule that happened to become very good at doing so. Once that brain stops functioning, "you" will be no more, not that you'll have the abillity to care about such a thing anymore, and the protons, neutrons, and electrons that happened to be forming your body when you kicked the bucket will eventually part ways and spread among the stars once more.

The question is though...why? Why does the brain do that? Was it programmed to do that or did thought just come about from nothing? If you can think for yourself, doesn't that make you more than just a "bunch of molecules?"

I just have a hard time believing that I'm nothing more than a bunch of molecules interacting with other molecules. If I am, then why? Why the hell am I interacting with them? Why can I think for myself? What's the point to life if I'm just a bunch of molecules tied together?

I guess I could be apathetic about it, but I'm curious to discover the answers to these questions. Even if I do find out that I'm really just a bunch of molecules being tricked into thinking I'm a person, I'll still want to know why that is.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:53:58 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 06:09:34 PM »
Thinking for yourself helps you survive to further replicate the DNA your meat shell protects. Thinking definitely does not make you more than molecules.

The point to life is to spread and copy DNA, because that's just what DNA does and it has built many varied ways to spread. But there's really no point the way you mean. So have fun while it lasts! Being alive can be a blast. Who cares that we're actually just moist robots?

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 06:23:28 PM »
So...why does DNA want to spread? Because it wants too? If so, than why does it want to? To protect/advance itself? Why does it have the desire to protect/advance itself? Just 'cause?

DNA would be pretty useless (and we'd be useless) if it didn't have a "built in desire to protect itself" (I love quoting lines from my favorite movie). So why does it protect/advance itself? Does it think for itself also?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 06:30:49 PM by PaperLuigi »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 06:37:12 PM »
You confess and believe Jesus Christ is Lord (not do good deeds or have good karma), you go to heaven.  Everyone that doesn't goes to Hell.

Hell must be at least 100 million times larger than Heaven.

Quote from: LD
moist robots

I'm taking you off my "mortal enemy" list. :D

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »
You were mortal enemies with Lizard Dude? ;)

I'll say again Turtlekid. Unless you want to be judged yourself, I suggest you stop passing judgement on mankind.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 06:55:33 PM »
You're anthropomorphizing DNA. It doesn't feel or want anything. Things are too basic on that level to use those terms which are our way of describing fiercely complicated chemical reactions that make organisms do things.

Long ago, chemical reactions happened to create some type of molecule that had the funny property of being able to make more molecules like it. Due to environmental factors changing some molecules in ways that didn't mess up the process (mutating), some got better/faster at reproducing. Obviously this new version would outpace the old and perhaps completely replace it. Nowadays, billions of years later, this has happened so many times and in so many different ways, there are an incredible amount of different molecule replicating devices!

Some are so vain as to think they have free will.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 07:04:29 PM »
* Chupperson Weird brings up the possibility of sentient machines!
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »
Long ago, chemical reactions happened to create some type of molecule that had the funny property of being able to make more molecules like it.

Okay, that's all well and good, but why did the chemical reactions happen? What made them react? Were they just...here for no reason? You seem to know the answers, so I'm asking you.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »
Because some chemicals were sitting together in a puddle of goo.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »
I'll say again Turtlekid. Unless you want to be judged yourself, I suggest you stop passing judgement on mankind.
I don't think general statements like that count as judgment. We shouldn't specifically point people out and say they're absolutely going to heaven or hell, since we can't see their hearts, but most standard Christian theology says pretty clearly that if someone dies without having their sins forgiven, they go to hell. It's an if-then statement, and one that's very important if it's true.

I might get into the existence of the soul debate when I have a little more time.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »
Reading the last page, I was going to agree with LD until he made me depressed. :(

Although I don't want to blame him; the DNA's just using him as part of their evil scheme.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »

PL, though you're probably not reading this, (and believe me, I ask this honestly), how can you claim to be a Christian and not hold to one of our most basic doctrines that those who aren't regenerate will go to Hell?  It's not being judgmental.  It's stating a fact.  It may not be a nice fact, or may not be something you want to hear, but that doesn't make it judgmental.

Also, I'm not saying that everyone is sinful; as CrossEyed7 said, we can't see into a man's heart.  I'm saying that those that are sinful will go to Hell.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 09:02:05 AM »
If heavens filled with people like you, then off to hell I gladly go!

La la la la la~

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »
those who aren't regenerate will go to Hell?

I read this as "those who don't regenerate will go to hell", and was like, "What, so I'm a bad person because I don't have Wolverine's powers?"

But on to more important things...

It's not being judgmental.  It's stating a fact. 

You seem pretty sure of yourself. Have you died yet? For all you (or I) know, maybe the reality is that bad people get rewarded and good people get punished. Or everybody goes to the same place. Or there is no afterlife at all. Or you get reincarnated. Maybe it's different for each person.

And no, the bible doesn't count as proof; it's, for all intents and purposes, a storybook, until and unless you have solid, scientific proof to back it up.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »
Not only that, but it's a storybook that's been copied off of storybooks that came before it, as well as being full of storied that have become skewed through word of mouth.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
And through three or four translations and countless transcriptions and monks editing it, saying "hmm, I think this is what they meant" and writing a new version that reflects what they thought.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 06:21:12 PM »
Have you actually done any research on the Bible, or are you just repeating an amalgam of all the negative things you've ever heard about it, with no regard to the academic integrity of the original sources? Do you realize how foolish you sound like that?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 07:15:14 PM »
I realize that newer editions have attempted to create better translations from the original Greek, but there are still older, widely used editions where the translators couldn't figure out what the text meant and just had to fill in their best guess. My previous post came off more negative than I intended.
That was a joke.

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 07:30:55 PM »
Even if our modern Bible conveys 100% accurately the original crazy crap people wrote down thousands of years ago, it's still crazy crap people wrote down thousands of years ago!

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 08:41:08 PM »
Even if our modern Bible conveys 100% accurately the original crazy crap people wrote down thousands of years ago, it's still crazy crap people wrote down thousands of years ago!

Then, I suppose, a Mark Twain novel can have no truth to it. The original authors wrote in stories to convey truths of humanity. Much of the Bible was written as a myth. For example, Genesis chapters 1-11. The original authors probably wrote it sometime between 1020 and 930 BC. They knew full well that it did not contain the exact details of creation. That was not the author's intent. Rather, the authors were attempting to show human life as it should be, and humanity's vanity. The folly of our pride and the source of our unhappiness: sin. They did not attempt to convey an exact history-- anyone who tells you that is plain wrong. They looked around their world and saw so much hate and evil, and their goal was to explain it. The truth of the Bible is not in its precise figures or its exact locations, but rather in its treatment of the human person.

It seems, however, with your worldview, there can be no such thing as truth because you have reduced us to mechanistic beings. In your materialistic thought, there can be not truth, because we can't even know anything: everything is an illusion.

We need to return to a study of the natural world around us that we can once again understand ourselves as people and not as machines.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
Thing is, Koop, you understand it as a philosophical allegory where many people (in this thread?) think it's supposed to all be history. And that's where you run into trouble.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »
And no, the bible doesn't count as proof; it's, for all intents and purposes, a storybook, until and unless you have solid, scientific proof to back it up.

So is evolution, and that's being taught in schools across the nation.  It has nothing to do with whether it's true or not (although the Bible is true).  It has to do with whether it's a truth people want to hear.  Atheism came about because of rebels who didn't like the idea that they had to answer to a higher authority.

Forgive me, I thought I was dealing with someone who had enough sense to know that morals don't change.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 02:08:08 PM »
Morals don't, but people's knowledge of how the world works does. That's why atheism came about, because people decided that believing in something that might actually not exist based on research was pointless.

PS: Evolution does have some scientific evidence, just not enough to propel it past "theory" status.

PPS: Please explain how the the Bible is "true" without saying "because God said so" or something like that. I want raw evidence.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
PPS: Please explain how the the Bible is "true" without saying "because God said so" or something like that. I want raw evidence.

But that would be like reeely hard.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 03:20:39 PM »
I can't prove it any more than you could prove Darwinism.  That's why they call Christianity a faith
Please explain why the Bible isn't true, without saying "because there's no raw evidence."  I want raw evidence.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »
There is no way that a millenia-year-old book co-written by hundreds of people, all with various political agendas, in multiple languages, none of them English for a long time, could ever possibly mean what it used to. If I leave a cereal box lying outside, it's sure as heck not going to be the same when I come back a week later.

Now, that's not to say the Bible isn't "true" in some ways. The Ten Commandments and such are definitely a great basis for living, but kings and emperors figured out a long time ago that it's easier to get people to stay in line if you say "You'll go to a bad firey place forever if you do that" than "please don't do that".

Boo Dudley

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
I can't prove it any more than you could prove Darwinism.  That's why they call Christianity a faith
Please explain why the Bible isn't true, without saying "because there's no raw evidence."  I want raw evidence.

Prove there isn't a tea pot orbiting the sun somewhere between Earth and Mars. Prove there isn't an invisible pink unicorn. Prove there isn't a flying spaghetti monster.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

Because half the stuff in there is goofy fantasy and the other half is violent intolerance.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »
Has anybody ever read Everlost? No, this isn't a springboard for some sort of metaphor--I'm just curious. Good book; I'm looking forward to the movie, even if I'll probably be a little old for it by then.

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »
Sorry to say Turtlekid, but there's MORE evidence supporting science, and LESS evidence supporting the Bible.

Adding to what ShadowBrain said...

If there are so many people without faith, why hasn't God sent a sign? At this rate, there will be a time when people won't believe in "God".

How did you find out about God? Your parents told you, right? And...they are always right, right, so the bible must be right, right?

What other proof do you have of God, other then what your parents(Who were told by thier parents) tell you, and a building full of people reading stories?

You know there are more miserys then miracles, unless you're very very lucky?

Dreams are recollections of your thought processes during the day...if you dream of god, you were simply thinking of god somewhere in the past two days.

All reality is meant for DNA survival...

A lot of things in the Bible have been disproven by Science, and are thought to be metaphorical...which means they pretty much didn't happen...

...The Battle Rages On...

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »
Sorry to say Turtlekid, but there's MORE evidence supporting science, and LESS evidence supporting the Bible.

Adding to what ShadowBrain said...

If there are so many people without faith, why hasn't God sent a sign? At this rate, there will be a time when people won't believe in "God".

How did you find out about God? Your parents told you, right? And...they are always right, right, so the bible must be right, right?

What other proof do you have of God, other then what your parents(Who were told by thier parents) tell you, and a building full of people reading stories?

You know there are more miserys then miracles, unless you're very very lucky?

Dreams are recollections of your thought processes during the day...if you dream of god, you were simply thinking of god somewhere in the past two days.

All reality is meant for DNA survival...

A lot of things in the Bible have been disproven by Science, and are thought to be metaphorical...which means they pretty much didn't happen...

1. Jesus answered this question more than once in his ministry.  He said that if someone doesn't believe witnesses and miracles that have already happened, they won't believe any new signs.  If something strange and unusual happened tomorrow, you would try to explain it away with "science," not as a sign from God.

2. Sure, my parents told me, but I'm not the type to believe what I'm told blindly.  Do you honestly think I haven't thought this through for myself?

3. What he has done in my life, what is in the Bible, the entire world/galaxy/universe.

4. There are "more miserys than miracles" because we live in a fallen world.

5. What does dreaming have to do with it?...

6. Ok, where did all reality come from?

7. Examples, please?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »

You are assuming the superiority of your own worldview. You cannot prove neutrally that science is the best way to discover truth, because anything you or I say is said through our own worldviews: you through a more naturalistic one, me through a supernaturalistic one. Saying that your worldview is better because it has more evidence is little better than saying "You're wrong because you don't agree with me," because while you hold scientific evidence in the highest regard, I hold divine revelation in that place.

As for things in the Bible being disproved by science... most of the historical events have been confirmed by archaeology, and more are being confirmed every day. As for the miracles, yeah, those go against strict naturalistic science. That's kind of the point. They show that God, the author of physical laws, is not bound by them, and interacts freely with the world as He chooses.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »
I would like to add that science and the Bible are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
That too.

EDIT: Sorry, this post shouldn't have been so short. Since God created the world, science, carried out properly, will glorify Him and make sense. Many of the greatest scientific discoveries in history were from Christians who wanted to find out how God created the world.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:58:54 PM by CrossEyed7 »

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 12:41:40 AM »
Yes, because everything is GOD's doing, we can not be expected any credit. A supernatural being that expects us to believe in him through :

1. A book that could easily have been written by Muslims looking for moral and faith strengthening stories, and made them with thier minds.

2. Evil priests, and centuries of the church being used for evil.

3. Views that contradict science, which is becoming stronger.

...And many more. Here's my prediction of Turtlekids first post:

"Give me examples".

This time, YOU my Bible reading friend can do the research. I'm going to bed.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 07:07:30 AM »
I hope everyone here realizes that Islam and Christianity are both offshoots of Judaism. That's what makes all the killing and hate in the world over differing religions so  almost sickly funny.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 09:15:21 AM »
That brings us to another point: We've got people causing wars, commiting genocide, and murdering/maiming innocent men, women, and children with suicide bombs over whose extremely similar religions are best. And we've got brutal hate crimes over people's race, religion, sexual orientation, and a government that deprives certain people of the right to marry "because it's unnatural".

In addition to rape, murder, theft, and all that good stuff.

So riddle me this: If the people before the "flood" were so unredeemably horribly vile that a big, all-powerful guy out in space, who was apparently only worshipped by a small family, saw fit to destroy every single living thing in the whole world except for said family and their pets, then how bad are we gonna have to get for this dude to come and, say, vaporize us all?
every

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »
I just want to love others and not go to hell.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »
As long as thier is religon, there will be violence.

Without religon, thier is less violence...

Also, heres a fun little comic explaining religon and science: http://bp2.blogger.com/_X2sjPj.....ciencevsreligion.jpg
WARNING: Contains the F-word.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:42:33 PM by Nintendoobsessed »

Boo Dudley

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
I just want to know how Noah's family dealt with incest, Adam and Eve notwithstanding.

I just want to love others and not go to hell.

I have no problem with those who have faith, I have a problem with zealots.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »
This time, YOU my Bible reading friend can do the research. I'm going to bed.
You're making broad, generalized claims that could refer to any number of (untrue and/or irrelevant) things. If you don't specify which ones you're referring to, then you can't be rebutted.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »
There's no happy medium. Your either going to hell/heaven or it doesn't exist. It's all in your head.

Me? I choose to not live in fear of the unknown*, but I except that others do. I do, however, believe that there is more to the universe then what current theories dictate.

***Obviously, I refer to Christianity
"it's always the present"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2008, 11:53:25 PM »
My idea of Heaven isn't a great cloudy land where every dead dude goes, but your own personal paradise. Everyone would perceive heaven differently. Example, my Heaven would have no spiders to speak of because there is nothing in this world that rattles my bones worse (that I've yet experienced). But what about a scientist who'd dedicated his life to the study of spiders, who never once hurt one? Our paradises couldn't coincide...

By the same logic, Hell for me would probably include regular torture involving spiders. The claustrophobic pits of magma and flame among thousands of the condemned sounds pretty bad, too, but I'm sure mental punishment would also be used. I don't especially want either eternal burning or eternal Fear Factor.

One thing I wonder is what happens to masochistic people in Hell?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
Hugs and pillow fights involving the most comfortable cushions ever.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 04:08:39 PM »
Beer volcano and a stripper factory.

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 08:57:37 PM »
People not forcing you to believe in a magical fairy that grants you access to a magical kingdom in the sky, as long as you do what the people tell you to do, without giving you any proof.

OH WATE

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »
Was that supposed to be a dig at Christianity?  Because it wasn't even very good.

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »
Of course not!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »
Of course it wasn't a dig at Christianity, or of course it wasn't good?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »
Are you trying to be funny?
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2008, 08:30:17 PM »
Can that be our slogan now?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »
It should be.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2008, 09:07:18 AM »
That's going on a patch on my shirt right now.

Also, I thought that lolcat was the Mother "earth" logo for a second.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
That's no lolcat.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »
NEDM. Happycat. Whatever.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
That's no lolcat.
Yes there was.

Edit:I mean yes it is
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:22:15 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
And that is a non sequitur.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
We can haz slogan?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
When I see these kind of topics that drag on and will never end, I always think about TEM's "and on and on The Eggman went."
Formerly quite reasonable.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
Trainman, the reason your formatting didn't work was because you forgot to put [/pointlessbump] at the end.
every

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
Lizard Dude, not trying to BS you or anything, but how do you live your life saying "We're just here to make more copies of each other and we're not doing anything else and we're just an arrangement of molecules just chillin on earth 'till we die. Yay." I mean... yeah, you could simplify it that much and you're right, but why focus on that instead of just goin on about your life? I mean, you're bettering yourself by getting an education and have a girlfriend and everything, but are you enjoying it, or taking everything in life as "sensory inputs" and "illusions"?

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 07:07:19 PM »
I don't "focus on that". In fact, I rarely think about it at all. Why would I? There's nothing depressing about how the world actually works.

For the record, I say the purpose of life is to have fun, or help others have fun (which is kinda fun!).

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2008, 07:26:10 PM »
Agreed!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2008, 08:38:09 PM »
My purpose in life is to spread my spores and grow the number of lifeforms in the collective, eventually swollowing up all life in the universe.
every

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2008, 12:11:27 AM »
And I don't want to go to Hell.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2008, 01:14:37 AM »
"I serve a higher purpose."
I like to think of that quote when it comes to my life. I'm pretty miserable as a person since everyday I just see some new sort of injustice that makes me shake my head and hate humanity even more. If I sit back and watch it happen, or worse, add to the problem, then that just sort of demeans my entire life beyond recognition. That's why I plan on going into law, become a D.A. I want to do something that gives back some justice, albeit a small amount. Some people are content sitting back and going with the flow of life, but I can't do that. I have to be an idealist and futilely attempt to make a difference.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2008, 01:15:28 AM »
That's how you get to be a dead neurotic.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2008, 07:41:49 AM »
I just do what I'm told when it suits me, try to have as much fun as possible, and seek to better the world, as long as the three don't conflict.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2008, 07:43:33 AM »
My goal in life is to create a piece of entrainment that reflects my inner thoughts while at the same time serving as something that anybody can enjoy. Sometimes I wonder if we artists have it easy. All we do is create for the purpose of triggering other people's emotional spectrum.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2008, 07:45:10 AM »
Well, I hope to be an author, so maybe that falls into same... spectrum you just mentioned.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2008, 11:12:01 AM »
I just want to make awesome stuff. That's pretty much it. And also experience other people's awesome stuff.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
If I had a proper scanner, you might've already been able to experience some of my awesome stuff... but then again it's still kinda of a work in progress, so all I'd be able to show you is conceptual awesome stuff.

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »
My goal in life is to create a piece of entrainment that reflects my inner thoughts while at the same time serving as something that anybody can enjoy.

Wow, so ha, pretty much what I want to do. I want to be known for some type of work that comes from my mind and heart. I'm all over hyperboles when I speak about things (i.e. omg there's like a million people here), so I've always wanted to create something original that showcases my life in Texas with my exaggeration of things added to it, but it'd be difficult and time consuming to plan everything out. I have always loved the smallest details about shows (and video games) with certain music, character development, sound effects, etc. and I wanna put that into a huge conglomeration of my thoughts and ideas..... oh, and the setting would be Bell County (where I live in Texas, duh) and I'd want to have anything thing that happened in my show/whatever happening at real-life locations, down to the grass blades. Take King of the Hill and Family Guy for example. Quahog is fictional, but based off a real state (obviously) and familiar locations to locals. Arlen is based off Temple, Texas (my neighboring city), with the show mentioning things like IH-35 (few miles away from me), going to Fredericksburg and Austin (which is about 45 minutes south of me), playing Belton at football (where I live), and the "Belton Wildcats" football team (which is a combination of the Temple Wildcats and Belton Tigers). Also, Arlen's team is blue and white, which is what Temple's scheme is. Within common sense, and legality, I'm sure, I'd want everything to be pinpoint so you could go to the place where the characters live their lives and know where these events happen and see where I got my inspiration from!!!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2008, 05:05:52 PM »
1.    Chemistry. (of a substance, as a vapor) to carry along (a dissimilar substance, as drops of liquid) during a given process, as evaporation or distillation.
2.    (of a liquid) to trap (bubbles).
3.    Meteorology. to transfer (air) into an organized air current from the surrounding atmosphere (opposed to detrain ).
That was a joke.

Print