Poll

What kind of person are you?

Liberal
Conservative
Centrist
Statist
Libertarian
Print

Author Topic: Liberal or Conservative?  (Read 22388 times)

fuzzy

• Banned
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:23:42 PM »
Just curious.  No fighting please.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:16:05 AM by Sapphira »
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 09:42:45 PM »
As if you have to be one or the other.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 10:01:43 PM »
I'm Consiberalative.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 10:08:29 PM »
There's more than two groups, you forgot Revolutionaries, Moderates, and Reactionaries.

I'd consider myself a moderate, though I really don't care, as I detest politics.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 10:33:02 PM »
Left (Liberal)
Liberals usually embrace freedom of choice in personal matters, but tend to support significant government control of the economy. They generally support a government-funded "safety net" to help the disadvantaged, and advocate strict regulation of business. Liberals tend to favor environmental regulations, defend civil liberties and free expression, support government action to promote equality, and tolerate diverse lifestyles.

Right (Conservative)
Conservatives tend to favor economic freedom, but frequently support laws to restrict personal behavior that violates "traditional values." They oppose excessive government control of business, while endorsing government action to defend morality and the traditional family structure. Conservatives usually support a strong military, oppose bureaucracy and high taxes, favor a free-market economy, and endorse strong law enforcement.

Libertarian
Libertarians support maximum liberty in both personal and economic matters. They advocate a much smaller government; one that is limited to protecting individuals from coercion and violence. Libertarians tend to embrace individual responsibility, oppose government bureaucracy and taxes, promote private charity, tolerate diverse lifestyles, support the free market, and defend civil liberties.

Statist (Big Government)
Statists want government to have a great deal of power over the economy and individual behavior. They frequently doubt whether economic liberty and individual freedom are practical options in today's world. Statists tend to distrust the free market, support high taxes and centralized planning of the economy, oppose diverse lifestyles, and question the importance of civil liberties.

Centrist
Centrists espouse a "middle ground" regarding government control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention and sometimes support individual freedom of choice. Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind, tend to oppose "political extremes," and emphasize what they describe as "practical" solutions to problems.

I'm a Centrist.  I lean right, left, libertarian, or statist depending on the issue and/or test.  Speaking of test, there are many online that you can take if you are not sure where you fall.  If you want a real short one try http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html  There are many more indepth tests, but that's a good place to start.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 11:50:28 PM »
I'm not left wing, or right wing.  I prefer to remain on the ground and watch birds run into each other.  So, I be closest to the central guys.
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
"I obstruct"

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 11:57:50 PM »
I'm a liberal.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:37:12 AM »
Of those, liberal is closer to my stance, but I'm most closely libertarian.

I think I was 90% personal, 80% economic.

~I.S.~

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 11:57:08 AM »
EDIT: I took the test, and got conservative. Just as I thought.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:25:43 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 12:08:37 PM »

I feel this is fairly accurate. I believe in very conservative ideas. I don't like the government getting too involved in everything. I think more power should be given to the local communities. Taxes and spendings should be cut. Social Security needs a reform (Age up to 70 or 75). Welfare should be imporved to force people to get jobs. Although, I do have a problem with medicare-- It is merely Sickcare. We need a reform to that so that it covers people regardless if they are sick.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:20:32 PM by Koopaslaya »
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 12:18:40 PM »
Even though I replied already, what the heck:

I sort of saw it coming. I chose "maybe" on every "economic matter".
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 12:28:01 PM »
I suppose I should ad those others too.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 01:55:10 PM »
I he be Centrist.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »

I was kind of surprised at that result. I always considered myself a conservative.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 04:26:39 PM »
I would call myself Conservative.

Print