Poll

Where do you fit? (1 = strong theist and 7 = strong atheist)

Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."
3 (15%)
De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."
5 (25%)
Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."
2 (10%)
Completely impartial agnostic. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
0 (0%)
Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
2 (10%)
De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
7 (35%)
Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung 'knows' there is one."
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Print

Author Topic: Pick a number from 1 to 7  (Read 8402 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »
The last two options are the same.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »
Sorry.  That's fixed now.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:47:22 PM »
Debated with myself for a while between one and two.  I chose two, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that you have regard the existence of God as proven fact to be a "strong theist."  Faith in God can't be proven by normal as absolute fact.  That's why it requires faith.  I suppose I could see myself choosing one, in the sense that "I do not believe, I know," where to "know" doesn't mean "to know to be proven by natural means"; but "to know in my own heart in mind."

Also, the spectrum should be reversed, since the number seven is traditionally associated with God.  Just putting that out there.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »
Agnostic atheist, which is basically choice 6.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
I chose number two because, believe it or not, I'm only human.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »
I chose three simply because two and four were too extreme.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:53:44 PM »
I can't vote. There have been recent events in  my life that have made me question my faith.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:02:42 PM »
Six. So that's what it's called...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

A

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 01:08:53 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Dawkins considers himself to be a '6.9'.

Ew, no.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
I'd do both of them.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's shopped. The mouths are just too identical.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
5.4 to be honest. Most of my family is thoroughly believers... I'm not so sure. My belief may evolve, though I doubt it.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Print