Print

Author Topic: The Early Great Games  (Read 8512 times)

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 07:48:34 PM »
Yes... It seems that Super Mario Brothers is not the only game to boast "Evil Turtles"...

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »
Yes, but Jazz Jackrabbit is "tortoise vs. hare" (well, except for when you battle Deven or however you spell his name at the end of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 when he transforms into that demon thing), rather than "plumber vs. infestation".

Monster Bash was great, and also really bloody for a sidescroller about a kid fighting the monsters under his bed.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »
I remember my Grandma's computer had a DOS game called Space Bats, which was pretty fun.

Greatest editainment game ever is Word Munchers.  I used to play it a lot on the old Apple computers in the elementary special ed room.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 11:18:05 PM »
I remember my Grandma's computer had a DOS game called Space Bats, which was pretty fun.

Greatest editainment game ever is Word Munchers.  I used to play it a lot on the old Apple computers in the elementary special ed room.

Holy mice!  I'd forgotten all about "Word Munchers."  That was the one with squares and monsters that could eat you, right?  I remember playing it on shabby Apple 2-Es in elementary school.  My favorite edutainment game was "Spellevator," mainly because of the increasingly cool evil vacuum cleaners.  Those things deserved a game of their own.  Most of the edutainment games I played were deathly boring, though (of course it didn't help that most of the computers could only display black and green).  Then there was "O'Dell Lake," which wasn't so much boring as it was frustrating and depressing.  "You have been snatched out of the water by an osprey through no fault of your own.  Would you like to play the horrible game that is a fish's life again?"  Ah, memories.

By the way, does anybody remember a computer port of "Breakout" that had rainbow-colored musical blocks?
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »
I remember a lot of computer versions of Breakout and Arkanoid. Bananoid, Bip Bop, Breakfree (which was a nifty 3D version), the DOS version of Arkanoid 2...but I don't seem to remember one with rainbow-colored musical blocks.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 11:32:54 PM »
Haha, Bananoid. I still have that on a floppy somewhere.
Back from when I used to download freeware games onto disks at the library. o_o
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 11:37:31 PM »
I constantly hear about people h4xx0ring on the early interweb and getting games on chunky floppy disks through BBSs before software pirating became illegal. Why didn't I get a chance to get in on that? I went through a bunch of my cousin's old floppy disks, and basically all of them are illegal copies with the names scrawled in Sharpie on VHS labels and masking tape.
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 11:51:47 PM »
On what Kojinka said about Word Munchers, I think we had a Math and Grammar port of that game in school... I sucked at it cause I didn't know factors and that other math stuff.... (and also, those guys would get to me before I could figure out most of the stuff...)

There were other DOS games like Oregon Trail, and a bunch of other random stuff that I remember, but forgot the name.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 11:56:40 PM »
Back from when I used to download freeware games onto disks at the library. o_o

I constantly hear about people h4xx0ring on the early interweb and getting games on chunky floppy disks through BBSs before software pirating became illegal. Why didn't I get a chance to get in on that? I went through a bunch of my cousin's old floppy disks, and basically all of them are illegal copies with the names scrawled in Sharpie on VHS labels and masking tape.

Yeah, I remember how nobody used to care about the legality of copying games back in the day.

I just wish I had a C.D. copy of that good ol' 5¼".  I don't remember the names of all the games, but the ones I know are "Centipede," "Defender II: Stargate," "Miner 2049er," "Pac-Man," "Pengo," "Q-bert," "Space Invaders."  It was a killer mix of games.  I miss it.
Mega 2

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 12:10:53 AM »
Heck, most DOS games aren't even more then a MegaByte. You could probably cram all of em' in one CD and take it everywhere...

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 03:09:15 AM »
Heck, most DOS games aren't even more then a MegaByte. You could probably cram all of em' in one CD and take it everywhere...

I know.  I'm told 12,400 copies of "Alley Cat" could fit on a single C.D.-R.  The amount computer technology has advanced in my lifetime alone is mind-boggling.

But yeah, if anyone knows where I can find info on '80s D.O.S. game packages, let me know.
Mega 2

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 10:02:45 AM »
Just look for any abandonware sites (other than ROM sites). I suggest Abandonia and Home of the Underdogs, as I've gotten a large number of games from them.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 05:01:08 AM »
Just look for any abandonware sites (other than ROM sites). I suggest Abandonia and Home of the Underdogs, as I've gotten a large number of games from them.

I don't just want to download those 7 games.  I'm more concerned with finding out the titles of all the other games that were part of that package.
Mega 2

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »
Heck, most DOS games aren't even more then a MegaByte.

But are they more than a Deezer? Sorry, I had to. XD

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »
I post on another thread made me remember an edutainment game I hadn't thought about in a long time: "Treasure Mountain."  Does anybody remember that one?  If my memory is accurate, it was tons of fun (catchy theme song, too).
Mega 2

Print