Print

Author Topic: Single Player Gamer Night  (Read 2894 times)

« on: February 06, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
There is a thing I like to do that I wanted to know if anyone else does it.

Whenever I invite someone to my house to stay over all night, they play a single player game, and I do nothing.

The only thing I do is guide them through the game, and tell them how to beat a certain boss.

I find it so fun to just watch peoples faces as plot twists are revealed, and chat with them about the game, and listen to thier various theories concerning where they think the plot will end up. (Needless to say, I mostly do RPGs, but still do some Action)

Does anyone else do this? I'm assuming that most people play a big multiplayer game when they have a videogame party.

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »
I find it incredibly boring to watch people play single-player games. Whenever I game with RL friends it's always either Rock Band/Guitar Hero or some kind of co-op game.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
There are some games where this sounds like it'd be fun (BioShock), but for the most part I agree with bobman.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »
Actually, I do go to a friend's house somewhat frequently and several other dudes usually show up and sometimes one of us will play a 1P game and everyone else will comment and have a good time watching it and sorta playing vicariously. Last time it was Devil May Cry 4 and Mirror's Edge. I am not a fan of GH/RB as you all know.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 05:23:07 PM »
This can be either reasonably fun or insanely boring, especially if the single-player is a controller hog. Watching someone play a fun-looking game (DMC, Dead Rising, Guilty Gear) can be fun until you realize you want to play. But watching someone play Garry's Mod is a torment no one should ever have to endure.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »
After getting, loving, and beating Chibi-Robo, I got all my friends to play it. One stayed up all night and got pretty close to beating it (he finished it later when I went to his house), one played a lot and seemed like he wanted to borrow it, and the other played it a bit and wasn't all that interested. So, yeah, watching someone else experience a single-player game when you know its ins and outs is pretty fun, but it's usually better to just do multiplayer. At my place, it's not a get-together until a few rounds of WarioWare: Mega Party Games and maybe a race or two of Sonic R have been unleashed on the TV screen.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:19:20 PM »
I can enjoy this kind of single player observation under only three circumstances that I can think of off the top of my head.

1. A game that has some kind of puzzle aspect to it, such as watching someone play a dungeon in a Legend of Zelda game. The game doesn't really take physical skills so not being in control doesn't really matter. Watching someone else try to figure out a puzzle I already know the solution to or working together to figure it out can be fun.

2. Passing the controller back and forth when we die. I played games in this manner a lot while playing 2D Sonic and Mario games with my friends.

3. Taking turns on a game where you try to achieve some kind of high score in a limited about of time. Taking turns on stages of games while trying to get a higher score than the other person may be considered multiplayer since it is competitive, though.

Anything else would make me want to kill myself.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:51:59 PM »
That kind of thing only comes about between my friends and me if the time we've got together is excessively long. It comes after multiplayer. Even then, turn-taking is more common, especially for games where death is more common.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »
New Year's Eve, I watched my cousin play through the second half of The Force Unleashed on his PS3.  It was fun observing the difference between that version and the one on the Wii, but also had me seeing green, what with the better graphics and level design.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 07:40:07 PM »
I think Mirror's Edge might be more fun to watch than it is to play, especially if you have massive HDTV and a surround sound chair. It'll make your head spin, man.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
I would definitely agree with you on that, though I've yet to play the game. I know I love showing other relatives a level or two of Super Mario Galaxy, though.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 11:32:14 PM »
It so happens that I was playing Mirror's Edge on a massive HDTV. And I think it was pretty great to play (probably more fun than watching).
That was a joke.

Print