Print

Author Topic: Your "Pet Peeves"  (Read 53630 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2008, 07:04:53 AM »
Here's four words to get everyone riled up: Back at the Barnyard.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2008, 07:43:56 AM »
That doesn't even count 'cause it sucks so much.
every

« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »
Actually, I find Back at the Barnyard very clever. Speaking of which, has anyone watched the Mighty B? It has its faults, but overall it's probably the funniest show on Nick right now.

Oddly enough, I find most classically animated full-length Disney movies funnier than almost every cartoon on nowadays. But since I love classic Disney movies to begin with, I'm probably being biased (because not all of the Disney movies are supposed to be funny, especially Fox and the Hound).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:46:21 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »
Oh, I just remembered another one:

People using quotation marks in signs "unecessarily" like the "quotes" I am using in this "post". It bothers me more than all the your/you're, their/there/they're, and it's/its errors everywhere put together.
~I.S.~

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
-People who think all religious people try to force their beliefs on others.
-Religious people that really do try to force their beliefs on others.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
Oh, I just remembered another one:

People using quotation marks in signs "unecessarily" like the "quotes" I am using in this "post". It bothers me more than all the your/you're, their/there/they're, and it's/its errors everywhere put together.

Emphasis quotes enrage me. Seriously, who decided QUOTES should/could be used for emphasis? Whatever happened to italics, underlining, or bold print? Related are sarcasm/contempt quotes. Putting "quotes" around stuff to "indicate" "sarcasm" makes you look like an idiotwad.

And, to get these out of the way:

Nup-tu-al is NOT how you pronounce "nuptial". It's two syllables. Not three.
Bay-jing is not how you pronounce Beijing. It's a zh sound, not a J sound.
Pwned should be pronounced the same as "owned". "Pohned" sounds dumb; don't even get me started on pawned, pwinned, etc.
It's "etcetera" and "escape", not "excetera" and "excape".
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »
Also "Confiscate," not "Confinscate"...

PS: 1000th post :)
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2008, 03:21:27 PM »
idiotwad

That is the best word I have seen today.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2008, 06:46:43 PM »
Oh, another completely unrelated one:

Towing companies. They make used car salesmen look like the President of the Better Business Bureau. The Mafia aspire to achieve the level of corruption that towing companies get away with.
~I.S.~

« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »
Sometimes I feel that some people are just too blinded by their nostalgia to realize how average the shows they enjoyed really were (not taking a shot at you specifically, it's just that messages such as those are often used to bring down more recent cartoons).
I really like Chowder, Flapjack, and George of the Jungle (though I admit Chowder's pet Kimchi was a pretty cheap idea, but he's seldom used).

Agree with everything here, other than the love for GOTJ, which I find quite bland. If it's any consolation, Chowder and Flapjack have more originality and appeal than recent offerings like Gym Partner, Lazlo or the once-funny turned autistically-unfunny Fosters.

I recently watched an old episode of Anamaniacs and compared it with a new episode of George of the Jungle. Guess what? I still laughed at Anamaniacs and groaned at GOTJ's extremely poor attempts at trying to be funny.

Terrible comparison. Animaniacs was basically a variety show poking fun at pop culture. GOTJ is an animated fish out of water type show. If you had cited something similar like Family Guy, which shares the same basis and fanbase, that point would be valid.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »
No, it's just that Chowder, Flapjack and George of the Jungle are not funny.

Actually, the case here is just you complaining about how you dislike those shows. Look, I like those shows and I find them very funny, but I also have a love for older cartoons like the aforementioned Animaniacs. Comparing shows like Flapjack to Animaniacs really isn't fair at all. I'm not trying to say it's wrong of you to have such a preference for shows from the 90's or anything. In fact, it's good you liked those shows, it was the Silver Age of animation after all. But that time has passed and just because today's shows aren't your cup of tea doesn't mean it's bad, it just means you dislike the show. I think Chowder's great, and I'd say Cartoon Network does too, since they had the creator add 5 extra episodes to the show's first season, and they're giving the show a second season.
To be honest though, I'm really surprised you don't like Chowder much, since it was made by C.H. Greenblatt, and he made some of my favorite Spongebob Squarepants and Billy & Mandy episodes. Oh well, I guess this is a case of different strokes for different folks (in which case I suppose we could agree to disagree), since I noticed you referred to Back at the Barnyard as a clever show, and I just detest it.

Agree with everything here, other than the love for GOTJ, which I find quite bland.

Well, I wouldn't say I have a love for the show. I was more or less trying to say that it's not as terrible as people make it out to be. I can easily sit through a few episodes of it, but it is not something I'd buy on DVD or anything.

or the once-funny turned autistically-unfunny Fosters.

Ouch. =P
If it makes you feel better, Foster's is ending next year. The final episode's title is "Goodbye to Bloo".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:33:37 PM by PaperMario »

« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2008, 08:14:01 PM »
Terrible comparison. Animaniacs was basically a variety show poking fun at pop culture. GOTJ is an animated fish out of water type show. If you had cited something similar like Family Guy, which shares the same basis and fanbase, that point would be valid.

Alright then, how about Spongebob? Old Spongebob is much funnier than GOTJ. There, is that better?

To be honest though, I'm really surprised you don't like Chowder much, since it was made by C.H. Greenblatt, and he made some of my favorite Spongebob Squarepants and Billy & Mandy episodes. Oh well, I guess this is a case of different strokes for different folks (in which case I suppose we could agree to disagree), since I noticed you referred to Back at the Barnyard as a clever show, and I just detest it.

Just because he's made some funny Billy and Mandy (which by the way was very funny) and Spongebob episodes doesn't mean he's on the ball all the time. Chowder can be funny at times, but it's nothing compared to old school Spongebob and Billy and Mandy.

I know this is gonna make some people angry, but I don't find Family Guy amusing at all. I totally agreed with Matt Stone and Trey Parker when they had Cartman say "When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a point, not just one random interchangeable joke after another!" To me, random jokes (like the jokes they use in Family Guy) aren't really all that intelligent and are extremely hard to laugh at. At least when Anamaniacs poked fun at something, it wasn't random and had a sense of cleverness about it. Just compare the conjugation joke in Anamaniacs to the horse leg joke in Family Guy and you'll see what I mean. I honestly can't believe Family Guy can make a joke (I hesitate to call it joke) just by having Peter say "Remember that one time..." or something similar to that. It really shows how easy it is to make some people laugh, and it also shows how little work is put into an episode of Family Guy (heck, the animation is actually worse than GOTJ). At least when Trey Parker and Matt Stone make an episode of South Park, they put some effort into creating a situation and making relevant and hilarious jokes that pertain to the plot.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:15:33 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Johnny_Macho

• was_shot three_times
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2008, 08:16:54 PM »
Spongebob is hilarious too, old and new to me.
"I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, But I'm a little glowing friend, But really I'm not actually your friend, But I am" - They Might Be Giants, 'Birdhouse in your soul'

« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2008, 08:24:33 AM »
I know this is gonna make some people angry, but I don't find Family Guy amusing at all.
I agree where you're coming from. I used to love Family Guy, but when the fourth season appeared, I stopped watching it. Not necessarily because it was random, but because the jokes were becoming too commonplace, too long, and too degrading.

Too Commonplace: Despite the random nature of the jokes, it's easy to see that patterns have shown up, making it as though you're watching the same thing every time. Several times there has been a joke in which one person walks in on another doing something embarrassing, and just stands there saying "Oh...hi... I see you're [doing this]... I'll be going now." Or another in which (pop-culture) characters are doing their normal routine, stop and start bickering and complaining about their lifestyles. There has also been an increase in "Let's crack on Meg Griffin" jokes (Seth MacFarlane states "It's hard to get in a teen girl's head"), which were scarce in earlier seasons and demonstrates the laziness to develop Meg's character or that she is used as an easy joke out if no others can be thought of.

Too Long: Worse than a random, nonsensical joke that doesn't make you laugh is one that goes on for two minutes. A whole tenth of the episode's airtime. An example is when Osama Bin Laden is trying to film a new threat video but keeps screwing up. It was funny for 20 seconds but it quickly lost momentum.

Too degrading: The bulk of Family Guy is shock value, so vulgarity is prominent. In earlier seasons, it was subtle enough to laugh at. Now it's characters cursing at every chance they get (even Lois about her own husband and children), flatulence and bodily fluids spewed everywhere, more violence, more political criticism, and more sexual related jokes. It's almost as if Family Guy is trying to be on the same level of South Park humor, but is failing to see the importance of balance between vulgarity and context. With its political jokes, Family Guy is too one-sided ("wah, we have to go to a Red State, where they're all morons" or "don't give me that Republican crap"). While that I don't have a political standpoint, this shows that Family Guy chooses to lampoon only issues and people in ways that won't offend their target audience. South Park manages to lampoon all sides of a political issue, which I do find to be a good balance. As a side note, Family Guy never really focused on politics to begin with, so it seems (at least to me) out of place with its formula.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:26:31 AM by NintendoExpert89 »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »
To me, Family Guy is always failing in some way, or very close to it. It started out as a Simpsons ripoff, and then found its niche as a joke-recycling facility. There's a few episodes I like, but  for the most part the show relies on pop culture references as a crutch.
every

Print