Print

Author Topic: Virtual Console games  (Read 10889 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 12:40:30 AM »
One thing has been driving me absolutely crazy.

Five games are mentioned in the first post but only one is said to be badly emulated, and the second worst is "okay."

Yet it ends with "Nintendo, fix the NES VC games."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »
Er.....Sorry.
What do Yoshi eggs taste like?

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 07:39:26 AM »
If the game seems sped up it might have something do with regional differences, the european games runs slower than the US/JAP versions I think. But then again, it should've been slower, not faster...

Also, am I the only one who thought the color was a little off on the VC version of SMB? I figured it might have something to do with my TV, but the other VC games looks fine. Was that what you were talking about, Wiiplayer99?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »
If I remember correctly, the VC NES games in Europe run at 60Hz instead of 50, so it would be running at the faster, correct speed.
That was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »
Well then it also depends on which ROM you use.  The PAL games are supposed to have their action sped up to compensate for the slower system.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 08:10:01 PM »
What? Did you not read my post?
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »
I think he's noting the fact that the Euro ROMs had their speed changed in the actual code, which means that if the emulator is running at the "correct" speed, the ROM is now running faster than it should (72 Hz equivalent).

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »
Here are videos of the two versions of the game:

PAL Version
NTSC Version

Wiiplayer99, is your game running at the NTSC speed? Or does it seem even faster?
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
Oh great - another problem with the video formats. Darn it, why can't the whole world use the same format for video games? That would have gotten rid of all these hassles. :X
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 07:46:49 AM »
And then I could buy KH:FM and FM+...
It would take a certain amount of stress and mess out for the average customer, wouldn't it?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
Yow, the PAL version hurts my ears, very slow. Not sure which is supposed to be "correct", I always assumed the NTSC version was how the music was meant to be heard.

Not sure whether you meant videogame format (and if so, whether it's formats for one console, like the difference between NTSC and PAL or region locking) or video format. There's probably business reasons and console safety reasons for sticking with specific formats.

I don't want region locking if there's no danger to inserting foreign cartridges (nevermind that I never import games anyway), I wonder how long videogames had to come out in separate PAL versions, and... well, regarding video formats, it should be easier for the Average Joe to import and export most video formats out there. I know that there's codecs to deal with, containers, proprietary formats, possible differences in how much you can edit, the inevitable loss in quality when converting from one format to another... but it should be trivial today to go between AVI and MOV and WMV and MP4 and MPEG and QT and FLA. There's open-source programs to do that, but I'm always astounded that it's difficult to find a free no-trial program that does a good enough job at conversions.

I'll just assume you meant videogame format.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
From what my best emulator, Nessie says, the NTSC version is correct.
If, for example, you chose the common SMB1.nes file,which is SMB, if you chose PAL
mode, it lags and the Status bar gets dragged along with the level.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 02:55:33 PM »
Of course NTSC is correct. Japan uses NTSC.
It should not be trivial to convert from one video encoding format to another, because every time you decompress and recompress the data you're going to have more and more loss, not to mention they are standards owned by different companies.
NTSC and PAL are in use because different people think each format has an advantage, or that's just what they decided to use when they established TV in those areas.
Region locking exists so that different distributors can charge however much they feel like for the product they're publishing and theoretically not have competition from other distributors who might be publishing a better or cheaper version of the same product.
That was a joke.

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 03:49:47 AM »
Wait, so all European games were in slo-mo like that? All their games were n00bified? Hahaha, n00bs.

Final Fantasy must have been horrific.

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »
n00b?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Print