Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers  (Read 44629 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »
So?  SMB3 and SMW wouldn't have been any worse with the bosses being 7 stick figures that looked exactly alike.
Really? You don't think the games would lose anything if you took away the characters? It's true that SMB3 with Mario turned into a solid red rectangle and all the enemies turned into solid brown rectangles would still be fun, but I don't think it would be nearly as much fun without the personality. I know we Nintendo fans have gotten used to the "gameplay > graphics" speeches, but it can be taken too far. It's silly to act like the way a game looks, let alone its backstories and world-building, have nothing to do with its fun factor, and that only the physical act of moving your guy matters.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 01:37:45 AM »
Fact is, the Koopalings aren't exactly well-defined characters.
That was a joke.

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 09:00:02 AM »
Man, I always thought the super spring levels were fun. And not too hard to judge where you'd come down.

One of those levels features that stupid wind though... That one was frustrating.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 03:14:35 PM »
Fact is, the Koopalings aren't exactly well-defined characters.
Neither are Rip Van Fishes, but they still look cool.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
So?  SMB3 and SMW wouldn't have been any worse with the bosses being 7 stick figures that looked exactly alike.

I never saw Navi after Ocarina of Time.  Everyone hated her.  Oh, and what about the dog from Duck Hunt?
(although I'm just as lost as you are on Waluigi)

That is exactly what Bowser Jr is: A short cut. They could turn it into at least one of the Koopalings, but intsead we get Bowser Jr. SMB3/SMW wouldn't have been any worse, but the boss fights would've sucked almost as much as the Bowser Jr fights in NSMB.

I don't hate Waluigi, Navi didn't appear after OoT (but they still used fairies with annoying sounds, like.. the one in Majora's Mask), and the dog was only annoying if you sucked at the game (I honestly found the dog to be a bit charming and would often purposely lose a couple if I was ahead..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »
Bowser Jr. is change for the sake of change. What exactly were they gaining by replacing characters that could've been defined with a facsimile that probably had less potential opportunity for definition in the first place? I don't stand for that, which is why I'll always prefer the Koopalings to Bowser Jr.

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 08:09:17 PM »
I definitely prefer the Koopa Kids to Bowser Jr., primarily because his voice in Sunshine was extremely annoying. At least the Koopa Kids in Super Mario World (the cartoon, mind you) were funny to listen to.

As for Waluigi, I like him only because he's a lovable loser. Then again, he has absolutely NO character compared to his supposed brother Wario, who is downright hilarious and probably my favorite video game character ever.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
Aaah, Waluigi. Never understood all the hate. I'd like to see the Wario Bros. as a Popple/Rookie-esque backstory in a future M&L...
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »
Aaah, Waluigi. Never understood all the hate.

Me either.  Sure, he's never been my favorite character, but I think he's kind of funny.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 12:19:16 PM »
Waluigi should be in a new Mario adventure, I'm getting sick of him just being in spin-offs.  The Koopa Kids would be interesting to see in 3D, but they should have different attacks patterns though.
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 01:01:26 PM »
Waluigi should be in a new Mario adventure, I'm getting sick of him just being in spin-offs. 

I predict that at least one member who hates Waluigi on this site will object to this.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »
I'd like to see Waluigi become more than just a roster filler in the spinoffs.  He could slowly work his way up to sidekick for Wario in an adventure game.  But before he makes that kind of leap, he should have a small role in a Wario Ware game.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
I object to this.

I see Waluigi as little more than a corporate gimmick, wholly undeserving of setting even one lanky limb into a quality, full-fledged Mario game. Honestly, most lint balls contain more individuality than the anti-Luigi. Pairing him with Wario in the next Wario Land title could certainly offer character improvements, as long as he's capable of more than Luigi-esque floaty jumps.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
Well, when Luigi was introduced, he was nothing more than a slightly taller but thinner green Mario, yet no one complained.  However, when Waluigi comes in, everybody was bawwwwing their eyes out.  However, if Waluigi were to appear in a proper Mario game, it could benefit him greatly, he could gain new powers, like for example Mario is the jack of all trades and can use fire, yet Luigi is a watered down Mario with great jumping abilities and could manipulate lighting.  Wario could be the slow but strong guy who uses farts/gas/whatever while Waluigi could be the weak but super agile guy with ice powers.  Waluigi could open up a new potenial for a M&L4. 
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
I knew someone would object...I just didn't expect it to be Weegee.

WHAT A TWIST

Print