Print

Author Topic: Mario and denim  (Read 8884 times)

« on: September 23, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »
As you might know, Super Smash Bros. Brawl was the first game where the textures in Mario's overalls were clearly identifiable as denim. Would you like to see these denim textured overalls in future games?
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
I would like to see Mario's "Classic" texture in future games.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 01:51:29 PM »
I wouldn't mind the brown and red Mario back, though I feel his look in New SMBW was good: the overalls didn't look like a weird jump-suit (mostly like in N64 games) but it wasn't realistically detailed either (like in Melee and Brawl, and the SMG games).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »
Brown and red was because of palette limitations. They never did that on purpose.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »
I know but I still think it'd be neat to see it again. I'm almost surprised it hasn't been a powerup color or an SSB costume..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »
Spandex overalls, anyone?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:29:31 AM »
I wouldn't mind the denim overalls. If Nintendo makes them look good in a platformer, that's fine, but if they're going to be an annoyance, then I wouldn't like to see them return.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 03:57:58 PM »
Spandex overalls, anyone?

Oh my god, YES!

But seriously, it won't bother me either way.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 02:19:56 AM »
They'd need to be put together with the right sort of art style, right sort of levels, right sort of characters. Realistic Mario in, say, SM64, would just look plain dumb.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:38:45 PM »
Exactly. I think it would be cool to have one Mario game that's a bit darker and more realistic looking. It would have some controversy compared to the nice cartoony Mario games, but that's why it would only be one game.

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
SMB: The Movie: The Game, anyone?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »
It would make an awesome Double Dragon-style beat-em-up.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »

Are you really serious about this? I think that the game itself would be really awful though.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 02:15:49 AM »
Well, if I remember correctly, Peach wasn't in NSMB Wii as playable because of skirt animations being difficult to create (I know that was a joke), but still, with the way Nintendo is sometimes, it wouldn't surprise me if that were kinda like a half-joke... kinda like when someone says something seriously, but if they get called out on it they can quickly fall back and go, "no no no no lolllll that was a joke. We're just playin."

Point being, Nintendo would prolly think it'd be too hard to do textures on Mario's overalls for a platformer or whatever. However, I would really love to see that, as well as a revamp of environments being less bright, and more bump-mappy. Good example is Space Junk Galaxy when you're on the rocketship. It's all texture-y and has that awesome sheen. Also, King Kaliente (or however you spell it). The cooled, black lava around the lava pit has that awesome lighting to it. Oh yeah, can't forget the fuzz on the bees and some of the enemies in Mario Galaxy.

If you remember in the trailers for Galaxy 2, quiiiite a bit of the grass had the "fuzz" effect on it, but then when the game came out, it went back to the solid, blocky look. Examples below.

Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »

Rofl, I didn't mean THAT realistic. I meant something a bit like Super smash bros. Brawl's mushroomy kingdom stage combined with a bit less cartoony looking Mario. Think of Twilight Princess except with Mario characters instead of Zrlda Characters.

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »
werent they jeans in World?

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 03:53:01 PM »
No, they were overalls then too, as seen here (in artwork form)

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 01:27:17 AM »
well of course they were overalls, but they were denim color.  i mean specifically denim color.  and anyway melee made it clear that they were denim way before brawl.

Print