Print

Author Topic: who mario's parents are  (Read 25380 times)

lexc123

• EXPERT
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »
this also includes luigi & peach, maybe baby bowser too. If anyoe knows da answer, post! I'm dying to know!
MUST LOVE M&L

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
I don't think they had names, but Mr. and Mrs. Mario's feet can be seen in the ending of the Super NES version of Yoshi's Island.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »
I wonder what their last names are......... Or do they even have one?
MUST LOVE M&L

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
I'm assuming Mario, like their sons.

Toad, SMA3 didn't have the feet?

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
Yeah, it did. I saw da ending an it did.
MUST LOVE M&L

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
"Name."
"Mario."
"Last name."
"Mario!"
"And you?"
"Luigi."
"Luigi Luigi?"
"No, Luigi Mario."
"Okay, how many Marios are there between the two of you?"
"Three: Mario Mario and Luigi Mario."

It's canon, and it makes sense (They're called the Mario brothers. The Baldwin brothers aren't called the Alec brothers).

Their mother made two appearances on the live-action segments of the Super Show, and it was mentioned that her maiden name was Rigassi. I don't know of any sources for their first names, though (in my fanfics, I always called them Maria and Luke, but it turns out Mario and Luigi have an aunt named Maria, briefly alluded to in the SMB3 episode "Crimes R Us" and the book Doors to Doom).

We know from a mention in the movie that their father (Papa Mario) and his father (Grandpapa) were plumbers. At least one of their grandmothers (Grandma Mario; presumably paternal) is dead and buried in Newark -- her spirit was channeled by The Old Psychic Lady with the Evil Eye Who Reads Fortunes and Knows Everything Before it Happens. There was also a mention once of a "Grandma Mia", who made garlic chip cookies, and may or may not be the same person as Grandma Mario (Mia could be a name, or it could just be the Italian word for "my").

In Super Mario Issunboshi, an OVA based on a Japanese folk tale, Mario's father is seen (though is face is never fully shown), but because of the setting, it's less reliable evidence.

"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Toad, SMA3 didn't have the feet?

I don't know. I didn't play that one. I couldn't stand that they had given Yoshi his noises from Yoshi's Story.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 04:54:58 AM »
As for Peach's parents:

King Toadstool appeared most often in the comic books, looking like this:

He looks somewhat Toad-like, though it was shown on at least a couple of occasions that his mushroom cap was a hat (and sometimes a cake). He was also seen in a coloring book, looking similar, though a bit more human:

A totally human (after re-evolution) depiction of the Mushroom King was seen in the movie (though in the movie, he was the father of Daisy, not Peach):

Of course, he spent most of the movie as the fungus covering the kingdom after being de-evolved by Koopa. Interestingly, in the novelization, the Mushroom King was called "King Bowser."

Side note: Peach and Daisy are cousins, confirmed in Prima's guide for Mario Kart Wii, which matters because Nintendo Power stopped making guides and Prima is now Nintendo's official guide-maker.

Nintendo's Mario Sunshine website said that Toadsworth is Peach's father. In Mario Superstar Baseball, Lakitu says to Peach, of Toadsworth, "Your grandpa?! Oh, pardon me! Venerable Toadsworth!" Draw from that what you may. Factor in the appearance of Peach's grandmother in SMRPG:

Also, here's some interesting SMB-era artwork that may or may not be somewhat official, depicting the King, possibly the Queen, and Peach with a mushroom cap:

By Baby Bowser do you mean Bowser Jr., the Koopa Kids from some Mario Parties, or the baby version of Bowser seen in Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island DS, and Partners in Time?

For Bowser himself, his mother was seen briefly on the Super Show, as seen below:

Bowser's father was mentioned in passing in the comics twice, and was apparently at least presumed to be alive at the time, as Bowser said he hoped to see him on TV on Kingdom's Most Wanted. He once told his son that "there's no problem too big to run away from." So yeah, Bowser probably has some issues. Common fanon is that Bowser's father's name is Morton, explaining why one of Bowser's children is Morton Jr.

Note that the Psychopath thought of the Magikoopa you fight as a boss in SMRPG (who is probably Kamek) is "That's... my child?" (presumably referring to Bowser) As seen in Yoshi's Island, Kamek seems to be something of a father figure to Bowser, though this is probably in the absence of his biological father.

Also note that, according to Ignorance is Bliss, Bowser has a younger sister who reads a lot.

As for Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, I have my own theories (which are also connected to my theories on the Koopa Kids from the Mario Parties), but there's very little to go on in the way of official sources. Nintendo Power UK was the first to posit the existence of "Clawdia Koopa" as the Koopalings' mother, and the movie gives us Lena as Bowser's wife/concubine/whatever, and the only other source is the ending of Sunshine, where Bowser tells Bowser Jr. that Peach is not his mother.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
thanx peeple. if ya hav any mor facts, post
MUST LOVE M&L

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
Also, here's some interesting SMB-era artwork that may or may not be somewhat official, depicting the King, possibly the Queen, and Peach with a mushroom cap:

Koopas as evil ducks? Oh, man.  Yeah, Peach's parents are (obviously) the King and Queen, 'course. Mario and Luigi were born to the unnamed couple in Yoshi's Island. Baby Bowser IS Bowser, which hasn't been revealed. Don't ask about Bowser Jr, either.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »
WHY IS THIS INFORMATION NOWHERE ON TMK?!
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »
weegee, (whatever) this is the only topic about mario's parents. thats why
MUST LOVE M&L

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »
King Koopa looks dead sexy in that pink dress.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 01:29:27 AM »
That.. lovely creature is actually his mom..

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 03:09:37 AM »
Wow, that old SMB artwork is pretty surreal. Bowser appears to have ears and a horn, and early Peach looks pretty adorable with that mushroom cap.

Since CrossEyed brought it up, I'll mention my personal fanon that Peach's mother was a human and her father was a Toad, if only because kids in the Mushroom World are known to look exactly like only one of their parents (i.e. DK Jr. looks like his father, Bowser Jr. looks like his father, etc.). Her grandma in SMRPG is on her father's side (and the same could be said of the grandpa Lakitu mentioned in MSB).

While I'm on this tangent I'll add that I've recently decided that the Koopalings are Bowser's nephews and niece in an attempt to compromise the previous references to being his children with NSMBWii only ever referring to them as his "underlings". If anything, it explains why they all look different and why Morton has the Jr. at the end of his name; Bowser has a brother named Morton.

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 09:06:26 AM »
That.. lovely creature is actually his mom..

Ah. That she is. Well she certainly looks like him.

That's definitely what he'd look like in a pink dress.

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
Since CrossEyed brought it up, I'll mention my personal fanon that Peach's mother was a human and her father was a Toad

Hot Human on Toad Action, anyone?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:34 PM »
While the joke is obvious, do remember that babies in the Mushroom World are brought by the stork, eliminating any need for said action.

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
yeah. thanks fo da info
MUST LOVE M&L

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »
hey guys, how do you get a locked topic ta unlock?
MUST LOVE M&L

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 02:09:27 PM »
nice facts.
MUST LOVE M&L

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »
hey guys, how do you get a locked topic ta unlock?

There's a way to do it, but you need a gold member account.

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »
by the way, i just got 18 different mario figures for 6 bucks on ebay. pretty nice, huh.
MUST LOVE M&L

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
Not sure what the heck that has to do with the rest of the topic, but ok I guess...

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
by the way, i just got 18 different mario figures for 6 bucks on ebay. pretty nice, huh.

That's a pretty sweet deal man.

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
i know. an their worth in china is 2 bucks.
MUST LOVE M&L

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »
I wonder what their last names are......... Or do they even have one?
Honestly, I always thought their last name was "Smash", 'cuz I thought they were referring to Mario and Luigi when they titled the game "Super Smash Bros." but some people think their last name is Mario, which is kind of stupid.
I am the Enchanted Esperanza...watch as I magically teleport myself to a foreign location at the speed of light...
*the person to which I spoke blinks*
Hello, I'm back! Want to see me do it again?

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
'Cuz in the movie, they say that's it. (Because the movie is TOTALLY a valuable source of canonical information, right?) Miyamoto said they have no last name.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »
Heyyy, if they don't, it adds to my awesome theory that Yoshi's Island was full of censorship, that Kamek actually blew up an airplane in cold blood with Mario's family aboard, the Super Mario brothers survived and when the Yoshis found this out at the end they had no choice but to raise them themselves. The stork was never real and neither were the stills at the end

Certainly explains their primarily jump-based fighting styles and how they could handle themselves well enough so early on
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
wow.......................................!?!?
MUST LOVE M&L

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 04:26:18 PM »
Hey, why don't we ever see bowsers wife anymore? 'Cuz she sure had a lot of kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MUST LOVE M&L

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »
Anymore? When did we ever see her?

I wonder if she's Japanese, since Wendy's (also the only girl) initials are W.O.K (Wendy O Koopa)

lexc123

• EXPERT
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 07:07:24 PM »
Oh crud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like just had the game I saw her in!!!!!! like a week ago. and then i acted like an idiot and sold the darned thing on ebay!!!!!! crap!!!!
MUST LOVE M&L

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
...She doesn't appear in any Mario game anywhere.

Yet you're not a troll. :J

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
Maybe the mother is Hookbill Koopa

Absence of proof that it's a he? Large enough for Bowser? Dull enough for him to take advantage of, then dump once he's got the soldiers he needs?

Yes

Or it could be Daisy
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 01:49:01 AM »
She obviously divorced him. Who the heck would want to stay married to Bowser anyway?

Alternatively, you could say the Koopalings are his nephews and niece instead of his kids. At least that explains why they all look different. (Why do I keep repeating this theory?)

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 04:59:26 AM »
Who the heck would want to stay married to Bowser anyway?

One could argue that Peach secretly wants to marry Bowser, given that a) she's been kidnapped by him at least 60 times, b) she never hires bodyguards or Mario to protect her at all times, and c) she's never had Bowser tried and executed.

I could just be missing the point, but you never know.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:59:36 AM by PaperLuigi »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »
a) I dunno how being kidnapped a lot would possess someone to marry their kidnapper.

b) She dies have bodyguards (Those Toads that carry spears) but they're complete wusses (like in Super Mario Galaxy when they cower behind Peach at the mere sight of Bowser).

c) I think there's some sort of politics involved when trying to have the head of a neighboring kingdom executed. Plus you actually have to capture someone before you can put them on trial, which so far Peach hasn't.

Either way, the notion of Peach secretly liking Bowser sure has fueled a lot of shippers. 9_9

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »
a) I dunno how being kidnapped a lot would possess someone to marry their kidnapper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
but they're complete wusses (like in Super Mario Galaxy when they cower behind Peach at the mere sight of Bowser).

Again, hire Mario. Better yet, hire Wario. He loves money and he's pretty strong.

c) I think there's some sort of politics involved when trying to have the head of a neighboring kingdom executed. Plus you actually have to capture someone before you can put them on trial, which so far Peach hasn't.

She's had plenty of opportunities. Remember the end of Mario Galaxy? Yeah, I do.

b) She dies have bodyguards

lulz

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 03:50:49 PM »
Mario's a free spirit, he isn't gonna take a job where you literally can't turn your back for a moment. The time it took for Peach to get kidnapped at the start of NSMB was shorter than a pee break.

I think the good guys are honestly surprised each time Bowser kidnaps Peach, like they expect him to not do it again. I mean, he seems a nice enough guy when racing karts and playing tennis, right? Maybe he just has a problem similar to kleptomania that he simply can't control and Mario can't blame him for it
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
Maybe he just has a problem similar to kleptomania that he simply can't control and Mario can't blame him for it

Maybe Peach knows that and that is part of the reason she hasn't done anything at this point.

A

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »
Nah, man, she already likes him and that's why she lets him kidnap her. Causality goes the other way, dig?
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 06:23:16 AM »
Oh, hey, this too:

In the upper-right there, is that Mario and Luigi's father? Or maybe grandfather? He's got the same yellow shirt, blue overalls, and Mario mustache as Mario's father from Issunboshi.

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 06:41:19 AM »
What is that? The world's trashiest framed painting?

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
It's a lunchbox. (do you have the thermos that came with it..?)
I have the other (or another, if there's more than the two) Mario related desgin, with the thermos. Maybe I'll get a pic of it in the near future.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 05:40:18 AM »
It's funny CrossEyed mentioned that the guy in the painting looks like Mario's father in Issunboshi, because the sight of Bowser popping out of the TV heavily evokes the opening scene in Great Mission to Rescue Peach.

Print