Print

Author Topic: Mario 64 ds  (Read 9268 times)

« on: January 04, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »
Hello everyone!

Just finished SM 3d on my 3ds today! Got it for christmas. Great game!

Now i thought about the mario 64 ds, what do you guys think about that game?

Also i must ask, when looking at the screenshots for it, the graphic seem very very poor, especially comparing to mario 3d! Is it just the pictures?

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
Having been released seven years prior for an older system, SM64DS's inferior graphics shouldn't come as a surprise.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:45 PM »
It's a remake of the first N64 game. It's going to be a little dated (I love Mario 64, this is just an observation)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »
Personally, I couldn't stand 64DS because of the character-switching mechanics. The whole sense of freedom from the original game has a massive blow dealt to it when you have to leave and go up to another room in the castle and switch into a different character who has the jump that you need. In the original, I could just jump Mario into a painting and survey the world and go, "Okay, where do I want to go this time?" but in 64DS, it's jumping into the painting and saying, "Oh, right, this star needs me to be metal, so I need to go find a Wario hat to switch my Luigi into Wario," or worse yet, "Oh, right, that's the arbitrary block that needs Yoshi, and there is no Yoshi hat, so I have to leave the level, go up to the Secret Slide room, and switch into Yoshi."

No Yoshi hats is a very stupid move with the game in its current form; the game would have been at least a little bit better, however, if it were designed with no actual character-switching -- just the hats. You just play as Yoshi and there's just hats. Particularly if Yoshi only needed to collect hats once, at the points where he rescues the characters from the bosses, and from then on he had the hats permanently in his inventory and could quick-switch between them with a tap on the touch screen (including while in the castle). That alone would have fixed the game a lot.

It's particularly frustrating considering how much of it is just the powers that Mario originally had being divvied up among the characters so you're forced to use them all, rather than new powers that expand on the game.

Still, while the soul is gone, there's still most of the shell of a relatively solid platformer.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:59:42 PM »
Honestly, I think the original had better graphics. The characters in 64DS had blurry, pixelated-looking features when viewed up-close. Also, Mario's eyebrows give him the appearance of a mass-murderer in that game.

Luigi's helicopter jump was broken as hell. Practically any Star meant for Mario could be obtained by picking Luigi, finding a sufficiently lofty precipice, pressing R+B, and gently descending to the goal.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »
Buy it only if you can't find the N64 version or Mario Head really creeps you out. (It was both for me)

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »
I am actually doing a Let's Play that starts with that game if you want to check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJXW2Whct3Q  It is a great game and works well with the circle pad btw

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »
Mario 64 ds is  good.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »
I thought Mario 64 DS was pretty decent. Using a D-pad for 3D is kinda lame though.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
It is kinda funny how the whole point of SM64 when it first came out was the analog stick, and how its 81 points of articulation made it so much better than a D-pad and a run button, and then eight years later they make a port of it that uses a D-pad and a run button.

I could never really get the hang of using the touch screen as the stick. Mostly because it keeps moving when your thumb goes to the edge of the circle. I remember there was a 3D Rayman game that came out a little while after it that had a touch screen analog that stayed still; did that work any better?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »
Never played the Rayman, but I got all 150 Stars with the thumb-nub, so it was good enough! (It totally scratched the screen though.)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »
Don't worry.  Well soon enough have another SM64 version for the 3DS and/or Wii U with analog slider control. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »
I liked the game but I didn't like how they modified the storyline.
Plus I think they should have included a thumb stylus to simulate the analog stick.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
The DS Phat did, in fact
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 03:41:42 PM »
I liked the game but I didn't like how they modified the storyline.

There was enough of a storyline to modify?

Print