Print

Author Topic: Mario Tennis Open  (Read 4580 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: May 26, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
Huh, strange this hasn't been started already.

So, okay, I got the game yesterday. I'll just demonstrate a few good and bad points.

-GOOD-

-"Chance" shots feel extremely balanced. Not really all that gimmicky or cheap. Another major improvement is that these chance shots appear near the back line 95% of the time to discourage players from constantly charging the net if someone makes a bad shot. It encourages you to stay back where most actual tennis players tend to rally (at least in my experience). Only if your opponent hits an absolutely terrible shot will a circle appear closer to the net for a smash, but even then, that is very rare.

-The music is absolutely phenomenal. Series fans will be pleased. It has a great live rock sound to it.

-The control is excellent, and like the music, series fans will appreciate all the nuances of the game. All different types of shots being mapped to individual buttons takes a couple seconds to figure out (I was trying to hit A and B together to hit a smash, but it's Y now lol), but you'll be used to it at least by the end of the very first tournament.

-BAD.... VERY BAD-

-[EDIT] After playing for a while now, the online has marginally become better and better. It's largely dependent on the other person's connection now, it seems. It's actually playable now.

-The online mode is the most basic selection I've ever seen in my life. 3DS is a pick-up-and-play handheld; that's understandable, but when you limit the options down to two choices, as far as matches, it's just incomprehensible. You can choose "Quick" and "Extended" matches. Quick is just a single tiebreaker; Extended is a 2 game, 1 set match. No rules, no options, no special settings, NO COURT SELECTION, nothing. You can't team up with a friend to play doubles against random people. You can either do quick/extended with randoms only by yourself, or do the exact same thing only with friends in a private room. The only difference when playing with friends is being able to select a court.

-Side note: Expect to encounter one ragequitter for every few matches or so you play. I've run into about 30 different people who ragequit right before I get the final point. Also expect people to try and fly through the replays then suddenly try and quick-serve in order to fool you.

I mean... I know Nintendo wants to appeal to all audiences and wants it to be a simple, readily available experience, but why not have the option for more advanced players? Or if they were feeling more robust, actual lobbies. Let the more advanced players set up their lobbies and enjoy a hoard of options, and even set up their own little tournaments or whatever, and then if someone wants a quick match or isn't experienced, they can still have a "quick match" option there, too. I've never understood why it must always be one or the other (with it always being the simpler route.)

I see Mario Tennis' online community vanishing within the next three or four months, if that, and it'll be like Tetris Axis where you have to wait 45 minutes in a lobby before some random guy from Europe gets matched up with you.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:33:41 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 11:00:23 PM »
Wasn't the online play supposed to make up for there not being an RPG mode?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:28:42 AM »
Trainman has the right of it. The actual game system is the best Mario Tennis has ever been. The online is as terrible as Nintendo games usually are (except a few of the Karts and Metroid Prime Hunters).

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
Wasn't the online play supposed to make up for there not being an RPG mode?

If it was supposed to, it definitely didn't do the job. A positive thing I can say is that I'm beginning to get more reliable connections during the day. Not much better, but at least not like watching a badly buffering video on Youtube. I think I was just hitting a lucky streak, though. I'm gonna test out a couple other things, and see how the connection is.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:51:20 AM »
Is it just me or do you guys happen to get connected to the same people over and over and over?

Also, do you get a lot of ragequitters? I get one about once every five matches. There should be a severe penalty for disconnecting when someone else has their match point. -100 rating.

Print