Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 479787 times)

« Reply #1590 on: September 10, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »
I think that the Prankster Comets in SMG affect the environment by raining special gases, evidenced by the discolored frame when one is in orbit.

Speedy Comets fill the "air" with a slow-acting toxin similar to that in the Hazy Maze Cave. If Mario stays in that gas too long, he will die.
Daredevil Comets spray potential lethal gases, but only strong enough so that even small damages are deadly.
Fast Foe Comets act as a stimulant only on rock enemies.
Cosmic Comets' gas is also potentially lethal. But as a "Prankster," the Cosmic Comet wants to toy with Mario and faces off with Mario before it decides to kill him. Its gas becomes dense and assumes his form, challenging him to a race. Mario needs to quickly escape with the Power Star before Cosmic Mario can claim it and the comet makes the gas completely lethal.
Purple Comets' gas condenses into harmless, magical coin-shaped objects. Getting all the coins (at least 100) creates enough energy to produce a Power Star. The Purple Comet is the most unique because its degree of lethality varies from completely harmless to deadly. When it is deadly, it is as lethal as Speedy's, so one must avoid inhaling it for too long.

« Reply #1591 on: September 11, 2008, 06:22:26 PM »
Here's something we haven't touched on in a while: What power-ups do the characters eat, and which ones do they just hold?

My wife actually made me think about that, after we both played Brawl and Galaxy. She noticed how Mario holds/uses the Fire Flower in SSB, but then appears to absorb it in SMG. My thought has always been that Mario eats the Mushrooms, and etiher absorbs or holds the Flowers. Obviously, this would bring up the point of which power-ups he holds or absorbs.

I am going to go back through the older games, and see where it would look like he's either eating, holding, or just abosrbing the power.. though, there are some that are obvious: you absorb the flying powers (Leaf/P-wing, Feather), but he probably doesn't eat the Fire Flowers to absorb them.. Hmm..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1592 on: September 11, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
I think the Fire Flowers can be used either way. In Paper Mario, Mario just sets the flower on the ground and it shoots fireballs at the enemies. If Mario Galaxy weren't here, it'd be easier to harmonize everything. Mario can either shoot fireballs directly out of the flower, or eat it to absorb the fire power (and possibly shoot the fireballs out of his mouth, the way it sort of looks in his SMB3 sprite and the way it was apparently designed to look for Luigi's sprite in the SMAS version of SMW.). Or you could just say that the clothes are representative of Mario holding the flower, and when he gets hit, it makes him drop the flower (like how powers were represented in SML2 with different hats because of technical limitations). However, the clothes showing up in Galaxy make the representation theory pretty hard to believe, and the time limit is inconsistent with all other games. But maybe only the terrestrial Fire Flowers last that long for some reason.

Mushrooms are definitely eaten, as seen most clearly in the Mario & Luigi games. The leaf is some kind of Tanooki magic that gets absorbed, but the Tanooki suit, like the Frog suit and Hammer suit, seems to just be an actual suit. The weird part is that the more naturalistic tanooki costume is the one that gives more tanooki powers. The P-Wing could just be an actual wing, and the designers just didn't have the time/space to make a separate sprite for it. The only clue for the feather I can find in the SMW manual is in the story at the beginning:

Quote from: SMW Manual
As they began their journey, Yoshi handed Mario a beautiful cape. "This may help you," Yoshi said. "Some say it has magical powers."

With a little luck (and help from a magic cape), our hearty crew can defeat the seven worlds of Bowser's Krazy Koopa Kritters.

So apparently the cape is magic. The fact that Yoshi gives Mario the cape, instead of a feather that turns into a cape, seems to indicate that the feather is representative, but since it's magic, it could just have the ability to change between forms at will.

Incidentally, I consider Smash to be at the same level of canon as the movie -- it's there if you want to pull anything neat out of it and adapt it, but everything else can be ignored.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #1593 on: September 11, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »
Maybe he sticks 'em in his overalls, enabling him to use both hands and concealing the item at the same time. Pockets not being the most secure things for storage, can easily drop said power-ups when Mario's knocked around a little.

Brawl being non-canon, even to the canon-less Mario, I don't think it really matters. But, I guess you could chalk it up to Mario & Luigi having already absorbed/pocketed a Fire Flower, and can't/don't need to stow another one away.

Or he eats them.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #1594 on: September 11, 2008, 07:31:50 PM »
Bart: How do they taste, Ralph? Good?
Ralph: They taste like...burning...

That said, you'd think that eating a Fire Flower would give an effect much like the Superspicy Curry. Perhaps that's what Luigi did in the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario World.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1595 on: September 11, 2008, 07:43:32 PM »
Maybe he sticks 'em in his overalls, enabling him to use both hands and concealing the item at the same time. Pockets not being the most secure things for storage, can easily drop said power-ups when Mario's knocked around a little.

I remember seeing on this forum a few beta screens of SMS showing an icon that looked like a pocket containing a Fire Flower or Mushroom in place of the FLUDD meter. They might've been fake, though.

In M&L, Mario and Luigi got the ability to shoot fire/thunder from the temples, and in PiT, the different Bros. Items provide the power.

Lastly, Mario was shown eating all three power-ups in the obscure Great Mission to Rescue Peach animated film, but he just touches the power-ups in the Super Mario Super Show.

EDIT: Actually, I wonder if the Fire Flower just symbiotically binds itself to Mario's suit, thus giving him the power to shoot fire from his gloves and changing suit's colors. Like a good version of the black Spidey suit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 07:45:23 PM by The Chef »

Boo Dudley

« Reply #1596 on: September 11, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
Lots of fabrics are made from plant fibers, but I just settle for his regular garb being temporarily dyed from the plant.

Lots of dyes are made from plants.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1597 on: September 11, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »
How would dye give him fire powers? I say the flower attaches to the suit and transfers it's power to Mario through it.

Boo Dudley

« Reply #1598 on: September 11, 2008, 07:59:46 PM »
I'm not saying the dye itself gives him the powers--it's just a side-effect.

« Reply #1599 on: September 11, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »
In M&L, Mario and Luigi got the ability to shoot fire/thunder from the temples
When I read that I first thought these temples.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1600 on: September 12, 2008, 02:31:03 PM »
Whoops. I was talking about those temples on the islands where the Oho Jees live.

« Reply #1601 on: September 12, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »
Since it's odd that Mario holds the fire-flowers in the SSB series and he absorbs them everywhere else, I think it's safe to say that Mario holding Fire Flowers are non-canon...but that's just what I think.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1602 on: September 12, 2008, 07:05:12 PM »
He also has ability to shoot fire balls without the use of the Fire Suit in SSB, so I would assume the Smash games give characters all those abilities they wouldn't have otherwise, while featuring modified versions of the tools they encounter.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #1603 on: September 29, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »
Here's something to discuss form SMW, do you guys think that Soda Lake really is soda? The first thing that I think of when I think soda would be coca cola, but if that was the case in Soda Lake, then you couldn't see anything. Maybe it's just carbonated water...
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1604 on: September 29, 2008, 06:25:55 PM »
When I was little, I definitely took it literally, but now, seeing as all the other worlds (up through World 6, anyway) are named after food...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print