Print

Author Topic: When all is said and done...  (Read 16144 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:26:06 PM »
Do console sales really matter? I mean yeah, the GameCube was killed by the PS2, and the PS3 is being killed by the Wii. But in the end can't they all just get along?

All game systems have unique features that certain people like over others. Does it really matter who "wins"?

By the way, pretty interesting role reversal for Sony and Nintendo, huh?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:39:08 PM »
Personally, the sales of a consol mean nothing to me.

I love my Nintendo, and refuse to play any other systems.
I really only play Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong games..

I'm old school like that. :P
you can have my man, but you will never have my snes.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:40:20 PM »
Is this the end of Mario Maniac?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:21:09 AM »
Why does he keep making this thread D:

I've lost count over how many times he's created a thread renouncing his loyalty to Nintendo, then Sony, then Nintendo again, etc. etc.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:37:32 AM »
i think that console sales are
very important in regard to
the profits of their respective
companies and so are
important both to the
shareholders
a
  n
    d

t
          o

t
                h
                  o
                    s
                      e
w
h
o

p
u
r
c
h
a
s
e

their products

-e.e. cummings
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:51:59 AM »
i think that console sales are
very important in regard to
the profits of their respective
companies and so are
important both to the
shareholders
a
  n
    d

t
          o

t
                h
                  o
                    s
                      e
w
h
o

p
u
r
c
h
a
s
e

their products

-e.e. cummings
good point
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 06:08:16 AM »
Aye, good point, but hard to read ;D

As for the issue at hand, no, they can't get along.  It's called free market competition.  Does it matter who wins in the long run?  Probably not.  But it does matter in the short term (an often under-rated term).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 06:50:09 AM »
Console sales matter to them, good games matter to us. Guess who matters more?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:01:17 AM »
That depends on whether the customers are sickeningly individualistic. 

Whoa, big words.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »
I don't care about sales, but they're always nice for future games to be made and such.

You'll find me playing 32X and Virtual Boy, so obviously sales don't make a difference to me.
Ditto used Machop!

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
First post in thread: "...But in the end can't they all just get along? All game systems have unique features that certain people like over others. Does it really matter who "wins"?"

Signature: "People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games."

>_>
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
1.  Major contradiction
2.  Nintendo makes good games, but they aren't the only company that does.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »
Every company has good games and bad games. Nintendo just so happens to have more good games than most others.
Ditto used Machop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
Here is my philosophy:

Good games come out consistently for Nintendo systems during their entire run, so much so that you have to choose your priorities because of financial issues.

A few great games come out for the Playstation systems (KH, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc.), but they're so few and far between that it almost isn't worth buying the system.

Xbox has a few good games:  Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, and... um... Halo.  That series is really the system's only selling point.  Besides, who needs Master Chief when you have Samus Aran?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »
Every company has good games and bad games. Nintendo just so happens to have more good games than most others.
In your, my, and several other members' opinions, yes.

I, personally, have grown tired of console wars. They are ridiculous, and there is no point to aggressively declaring any game console better than any other. Doesn't mean I'm about to go buy a 360 and PS3, no... I don't have that kind of money, and am not so interested as to spend it if I did. Nope, I'm not hardcore like gamers who buy and play everything. Is that not the only way to be a real hardcore gamer? To be completely open-minded and play anything that looks good*, without caring what system plays it?

*Of course, some games are bad. Such as Nascar '99. Worst game evar.
It's YOUR problem!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »
In your, my, and several other members' opinions, yes.

I, personally, have grown tired of console wars. They are ridiculous, and there is no point to aggressively declaring any game console better than any other. Doesn't mean I'm about to go buy a 360 and PS3, no... I don't have that kind of money, and am not so interested as to spend it if I did. Nope, I'm not hardcore like gamers who buy and play everything. Is that not the only way to be a real hardcore gamer? To be completely open-minded and play anything that looks good*, without caring what system plays it?

*Of course, some games are bad. Such as Nascar '99. Worst game evar.

Generally I think one should be open to try and play anything. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't stop being loyal to a company that very rarely lets you down. I'd have a PS3, if it wasn't so highly priced. Same with the 360.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 06:07:19 PM »
A few great games come out for the Playstation systems (KH, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc.), but they're so few and far between that it almost isn't worth buying the system.

Xbox has a few good games:  Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, and... um... Halo.  That series is really the system's only selling point.  Besides, who needs Master Chief when you have Samus Aran?

Have you ever even touched an Xbox or a Playstation system? There's definitely more than just those titles you listed. Especially if you honestly think Kingdom Hearts is the PS2's best offering.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 07:55:54 PM »
* Chupperson Weird glances at his PS2 shelf
There at least as many great games for PS2 as there are for GameCube. I don't even consider Kingdom Hearts, Jak, and Ratchet games to be included in that list.
That was a joke.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
I can't honestly say I've played many PS2 games. PS1 had a great library, however. The only PS2 games I have that I really like are R-Type Final, Sega Classics Collection, Intellivision Lives!, Atari Anthology, and that's about it. And a good percentage of those aren't exclusive. I know I miss out, but I'm too busy focusing on retro titles for now to even look into PS2. I really need a job or something.

As for Xbox. I had Halo, which I loaned to an ex-friend and never got back, but that doesn't bother me as I didn't like Halo much. Then I also had Mech Assault, which was actually a decent game. I had Doom 3, which I couldn't play, and my other friend now is borrowing (I hope I get it back when I get my Xbox fixed) My Xbox just randomly died, which somewhat makes Xbox look bad, because sure, you can have good games, but at least have a system that won't break.
Ditto used Machop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »
I've had to send my Wii in for repairs twice.
It's YOUR problem!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 09:22:02 PM »
I hope I don't have to. I've only had my Wii for one week today, after all.
Ditto used Machop!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 09:30:47 PM »
I've had to send my Wii in for repairs twice.
"Technological disaster" used to be Bird Person's CT.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:56 PM »
Im not trying to sterotype but most Xbox/Ps3 fans are the online "BOOM HEADSHOT"..."nintendo is kiddie type, while nintendo fans are usualy ok with all systems.  P.S. In my town of 2,000 ONE person has a ps3
Huuuuurgh!  My brain hurts!
I can't keep up with plot
points this complicated!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »
              the playstationtwo
                                  it has many good games
but also many bad

is this not
          the dilemma
                       of a successful
                                         c
                                       o
                                     n
                                   s
                                 o
                                l
                              e

but what about the ratios of good
                                                                                                       ¿pɐq oʇ

- e.e. cummings
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 03:23:13 AM »
Here is my philosophy:

Good games come out consistently for Nintendo systems during their entire run, so much so that you have to choose your priorities because of financial issues.

Your Nintendo and Sony "philosophies" are completely backwards from reality. Your Xbox philosophy is kind of true for the original but definitely not for the 360.

* Chupperson Weird glances at his PS2 shelf
I don't even consider Kingdom Hearts, Jak, and Ratchet games to be included in that list.
I'm not going to stand up for Kingdom Hearts, but Jak and Ratchet series are top-tier for sure.

The only PS2 games I have that I really like are R-Type Final, Sega Classics Collection, Intellivision Lives!, Atari Anthology, and that's about it.
Sounds like some awesome PS2 games!

CrossEyed7 -- I'm digging the poems but you should sign your own name.

As for my thoughts on this matter, yes I'm sorry but

What you must realize is that a true pwner pwns all games. If one wants to truly pwn, one must pwn in ALL games.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 06:05:48 AM »
Have you ever even touched an Xbox or a Playstation system? There's definitely more than just those titles you listed. Especially if you honestly think Kingdom Hearts is the PS2's best offering.

Kingdom Hearts is possibly the greatest game of all time.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 06:45:40 AM »
Hey, if someone's gonna list great PS2 games, Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, and Okami better be on there.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »
That's more like it.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 11:10:46 AM »
Oooh... fogot about Shadow of the Colossus... I've never heard of those other two, though...  man, I'm such a n00b.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
Sounds like some awesome PS2 games!

Yeah they are some pretty good games. I'm generally a fan of compilations.
Ditto used Machop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »
That reminds me of my pathetic lack of SMAS.  Now that would be a good DS port/VC game.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »
That might be a good idea.
Ditto used Machop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
If they fixed the SMB1 engine physics, it would be great.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
They'll never do it. All the games in Super Mario All-Stars (and SMAS+SMW) are already on the Virtual Console, and playable on the GBA, therefore the DS (if you import Famicom Mini SMB2J). If SMAS were released on the Virtual Console, I imagine it'd be pretty expensive... compared to other VC games, that is.

Chupperson is right about SMB's physics in SMAS. It's not just different, it's all wrong. Still playable, and I love the music and graphics, but wrong physics.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 03:41:03 PM »
I didn't realize the physics were that different, but the last time I played it I was about 7.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
It's mainly a problem when breaking bricks. You bounce upward instead of down. Also I think if you hit a brick you bounce down faster than you should. I might be mistaken about that.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »
Kingdom Hearts is possibly the greatest game of all time.

You're mistaken. That honor can only go to Kirby Super Star.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »
It actually is a tie between Chrono Trigger and Xenogears. Kirby Super Star is up there, though.
That was a joke.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »
I have never played Kirby Super Star, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, or Kingdom Hearts.
But my favorite game of all time is most likely Super Mario Bros. 3
Ditto used Machop!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 03:41:59 AM »
Reading over the last few pages, it amazes me that this is almost everyone's opinion:

I have not actually played for more than ten minutes on (X) system, but I believe that there are only (really stupidly small number) good games for it. Furthermore, while I respect fans of (X), I believe they are all (nonsensical stereotype).

Pretty much the only system that works for is the Game Gear.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 04:15:25 AM by Glorb »
every

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »
I enjoy the Game Gear.
Ditto used Machop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
Yeah, what's wrong with Game Gear? But with Atari Lynx or Jaguar, or game.com, or something like that, you might be onto something.
That was a joke.

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »
I had a game.com, it was fun.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 03:16:47 PM »
Yeah, what's wrong with Game Gear? But with Atari Lynx or Jaguar, or game.com, or something like that, you might be onto something.

I was going to say Lynx or game.com, but the only awesome games for those were ports. The Game Gear had Dynamite Headdy (which I still consider one of the best games ever made), and that's about it, not counting crap Sonic spinoffs.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2008, 07:48:28 PM »
Why was it called the Game.com, anyway?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 10:04:27 PM »
Because INTERNET.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2008, 10:12:41 AM »
It actually is a tie between Chrono Trigger and Xenogears. Kirby Super Star is up there, though.

Having never played any of those, I'll stick with KH.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
* SolidShroom points at his signature

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2008, 10:55:22 AM »
Turtlekid1 needs to play The World Ends With You immediately if he thinks Kingdom Hearts is the best game ever (both are inferior to Chrono Trigger, though I haven't played Xenogears to know about that).

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2008, 01:31:37 PM »
I plan on getting TWEWY. The last decent RPG I played was never, and since that's my opinion, I'm thinking I need to play more RPGs, starting with said game.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
Before I get anything else, MKWii takes priority.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »
Is it meant to be pronounced "The World Ends With You" or "The World Ends With You"? I can't buy it until I know.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »
It's pronounced:

CLERK: Hello, welcome to GameStop. What would you like to buy?
ME: THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU!!
CLERK: Oh mah gawd!
every

CrossEyed7

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »
They should make a game called "I'm Going To Kill You". That would work on so many levels.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »
Is it meant to be pronounced "The World Ends With You" or "The World Ends With You"? I can't buy it until I know.
On a similar note, what inflection is meant to accompany the pronounciation of Just Cause? Is it as in "this is a just cause" or "Why'd you do that?" "Just 'cause." ? I figure it's a double-entendre.

Hey, I've been going with The World Ends With YOU, but The World Ends WITH You actually has a cool philosophical ring to it... like, when you die, the world basically ends (for you).

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
The World Ends With You. Makes a lot more sense when you actually play the game. Also, everyone you play as in the game is dead and trying to win back their life by playing the Reaper's Game, so pronouncing it the other way doesn't make sense.

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008, 01:03:08 AM »
Well either way, it's still a lot better than "It's a Wonderful World".
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »
I pronounce TWEWY kind of flat, without any emphasis, like I do with any sentence-like title. Speaking of which, how are you supposed to pronounce "Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner"? I mean, at least not without a degree of embarassment.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 06:35:34 PM »
Maybe there should be a thread for this...

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »
I pronounce TWEWY kind of flat, without any emphasis, like I do with any sentence-like title. Speaking of which, how are you supposed to pronounce "Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner"? I mean, at least not without a degree of embarassment.
I'd just pronounce the acronym. Twoo-whee. Wuve, twue wuve... actually, I might pronounce it The World ENDS With You. But it's a lame title anyway. Which makes it funny.

uh, Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner? No clue. Er, Smash Bros. Melee went through my mind... Mon-ster-king-dom JEEEEEEEEEEEEWEL SUMMONEEEEEEERRRRR!!!
I'd just say "Monster Kingdom", "Monster Kingdom blah-blah-blah", or the acronym MKJS.

MKJS... Mortal Kombat: Johnny's Screwed. You know, Johnny Cage, he... yeah, whatever.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 04:48:15 AM »
That post was from three different dimensions!

How about MONster KINGdom JEWel Summoner?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2008, 07:29:01 AM »
MONster KINGdom JEWel Summoner?
If Xelha and Torgo had a son...

Print