Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Power August 2008 Best of the Best  (Read 14115 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
BEST OF THE BEST

NES
1. Legend of Zelda
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Mega Man 2
4. Super Mario Bros.
5. Metroid
6. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
7. Contra
8. Super Mario Bros. 2
9. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
10. Ninja Gaiden
11. Mega Man 3
12. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
13. DuckTales
14. Castlevania
15. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
16. Maniac Mansion
17. Bionic Commando
18. Dragon Warrior IV
19. Final Fantasy
20. Kid Icarus

Game Boy
1. Tetris DX
2. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
3. Pokemon Red/Blue
4. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
5. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
6. Pokemon Gold/Silver
7. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
8. Donkey Kong
9. Wario Land 3
10. Kirby's Dream Land 2
11. Metal Gear Solid
12. Metroid II: Return of Samus
13. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
14. Mega Man V
15. TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan
16. Mario's Picross
17. Dr. Mario
18. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
19. Shantae
20. Operation C

SNES
1. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
2. Super Mario World
3. Final Fantasy III
4. Super Metroid
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
7. Contra III: The Alien Wars
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
9. Super Mario Kart
10. Super Castlevania IV
11. Mega Man X
12. Actraiser
13. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
14. Super Punch-Out
15. Secret of Mana
16. Final Fantasy II
17. F-Zero
18. Axelay
19. Earthworm Jim
20. Pilotwings

N64
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. Mario Kart 64
4. Goldeneye 007
5. Star Fox 64
6. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. WWF No Mercy
8. Jet Force Gemini
9. Wave Race 64
10. Conker's Bad Fur Day
11. F-Zero X
12. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
13. Paper Mario
14. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
15. Super Smash Bros.
16. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
17. Mario Golf
18. Rocket: Robot on Wheels
19. Pokemon Snap
20. Blast Corps

Game Boy Advance
1. Metroid: Zero Mission
2. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
4. Astro Boy: Omega Factor
5. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
6. WarioWare Inc.: Mega Microgames
7. Gunstar Super Heroes
8. Drill Dozer
9. Metroid Fusion
10. Advance Wars
11. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
12. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
13. Golden Sun
14. Mega Man & Bass
15. Fire Emblem
16. Mega Man Zero 2
17. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
18. Mario Golf: Advance Tour
19. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
20. Wario Land 4

GameCube
1. Resident Evil 4
2. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Metroid Prime
5. Soul Calibur II
6. Super Mario Sunshine
7. Pikmin
8. Paper Mario: TTYD
9. Resident Evil
10. Viewtiful Joe
11. Beyond Good & Evil
12. Mario Kart: Double Dash
13. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
14. Luigi's Mansion
15. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
16. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
17. Skies of Arcadia Legends
18. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
19. Animal Crossing
20. Super Monkey Ball

DS
1. Elite Beat Agents
2. New Super Mario Bros.
3. Mario Kart DS
4. The World Ends With You
5. Tetris DS
6. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
7. Contra 4
8. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice For All
10. Sonic Rush Adventure
11. Trauma Center: Under the Knife
12. Professor Layton
13. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
14. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
15. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
16. Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
17. WarioWare: Touched
18. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
19. Animal Crossing: World World
20. Cooking Mama

Wii
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
5. Mario Kart Wii
6. Nights: Journey of Dreams
7. Zack & Wiki
8. Wii Sports
9. No More Heroes
10. Super Paper Mario
11. Resident Evil: UC
12. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
13. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
14. Sonic and the Secret Rings
15. Boom Blox
16. Bully: Scholarship Edition
17. Okami
18. Wii Fit
19. Trauma Center: New Blood
20. Guitar Hero III

Source:  NeoGAF.com
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
I know I'm a Nintendo heretic for saying this, but I wouldn't have put the pre-Wind Waker Zeldas so high. They were all great when they came out, but I don't think any of them have aged nearly as well as their contemporary Marios. I guess it depends on how you define a good game. But I definitely agree with TWEWY as #4 on the DS.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:28:59 PM »
So they just decided to... spontaneously do a "Best Games Ever" list? 'K...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »
It's the 20th anniversary issue.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »
Oh, yeah, that.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 12:58:46 PM »
DuckTales? Maniac Mansion? Seriously? I have those games and didn't like them very much. But I was pretty young.

I would also have to disagree with Metroid: Zero Mission being at the top of the GBA list. I didn't like that game much, either. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance wasn't even on that list. Also, I don't think Astro Boy: Omega Factor should have been so high. I played it, it was fun, but not #4 Best Ever fun.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:03:28 PM by bobman37 »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »
I'm sorry, I must have too much wax in my ears...did you say "didn't like very much" in connection with Maniac Mansion and DuckTales?!
every

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 01:08:17 PM »
Actually these lists are pretty awesome. EBA as #1 DS game? I'll allow it! Zero Mission as #1 GBA? These guys know what they're talking about! Astro Boy: Omega Factor deserves higher, though. :)

EDIT: Upon further review, this list has two disturbing omissions: Perfect Dark and Kirby Canvas Curse.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:11:13 PM by Lizard Dude »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 01:13:12 PM »
Kirby Super Star doesn't appear on the SNES list. How could they forget that?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
Final Fantasy VI higher than Chrono Trigger? Never!

Surprisingly however, these lists are actually somewhat accurate. Also, Mega Man Zero 2 needs to be way higher on GBA.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
Are people who speak English and get employed by Nintendo in some way, directly or not, simply not allowed to know that Super Mario RPG and EarthBound exist?

Edit: Also Justice for All but neither or the other two Phoenix Wright games O_o_O_o_O
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:09:11 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 02:20:14 PM »
Why is it for nearly all systems (With the Wii as an exception) have a LOZ game as #1 and a Mario game as #2? Kind of odd...Especially for the NES. (I've played both SMB and LOZ for awhile and I know for sure that SMB is better than LOZ, but thats just my opinion.)

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
Alright, let's see, my thoughts...

- Don't see why Super Mario Bros. 2 is so iconic, other than being so different from the other Mario Bros., bringing us Birdo and Shy Guys and Sub-Con. And a TV show.
- Kid Icarus at 20 for NES? I thought Nintendo pretended that game didn't exist?
- Why wasn't Bubble Bobble on that list?
- I've never played Tetris DX, but I think the original Tetris is better known than Tetris DX was.
- Hmm, didn't know Metal Gear Solid was for Game Boy.
- The only Pokemon Puzzle Challenge I know of is "Tetris Attack", and I'll continue to support that game instead of some Pokemon version. The voices in Tetris Attack may be annoying, but it left a big first impression.
- Super Mario Land 2, Donkey Kong, Wario Land 3, Kirby's Dream Land 2... all excellent games. But while SML2 may have been amazing for its time, I now find it easy and lacking compared to the more refined and fun Wario Land series. But heck, Wario Land 1 was known as Super Mario Land 3, so that's to be expected. I'd agree, Wario Land 3 was the best of its series. And for Kirby's Dream Land 2... Rick, Coo, and Kine were awesome.
- Ha, Mario's Picross is on the Game Boy list! Totally should have brought it back sooner, Nintendo.
- Er, I'd play SMW2 over Contra in a heartbeat. 8th place just seems too low for the best game Yoshi ever had.
- You're darn right Secret of Mana's on that list. Bring it to Virtual Console, Nintendo!
- Where's EarthBound? Where's Star Fox? *sniff*
- N64 list fails if Banjo-Kazooie's not on it. Jet Force Gemini gets on there but not Banjo-Kazooie? Pff.
- My gosh! Nintendo admitted Conker's Bad Fur Day exists! They had absolutely no coverage of it back when it was new. They covered Shadowman but not this. Wonder how many Nintendo fans know about Conker's Bad Fur Day.
- N64 is almost back on the win list by mentioning Blast Corps.
- I'm not sure if Metroid: Zero Mission deserves the top spot for Game Boy Advance, but it was an amazing game. It's my #2 pick for GBA, I'm just surprised a Metroid title would take the top honor.
- Good to see Warioware Mega Microgames on there. That game's my #1 pick for GBA.
- I'd actually prefer to see Zelda: Twilight Princess also on GameCube just to see it take place above Wind Waker. Now, an article at Nintendojo defended Wind Waker, saying it was actually pretty good, a classic in its own right, despite all the hatred that goes towards it for its look and endless sailing and the painful fetch-the-Triforce-pieces-quest. But me, I just couldn't take the endless sailing after a while. I thought I got to the end, then I found I was at more like the middle.
- Resident Evil 1 above Beyond Good & Evil!? What the!? Fail, major fail, hatred seething forth. Granted, RE's a gorgeous remake of the first, but BG&E had better gameplay, probably better music, and characters you cared more about. My gut reaction is that they were only paying attention to the graphics. Even to this day they're amazing. But hey, that's why I played RE too, for the graphics.
- At least BG&E's on the list at all. The fact that it's above Mario Kart: Double Dash (a game I hated, but I know was very popular) amuses me.
- I'm sorry, wh-what? Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, below Luigi's Mansion? Below Billy Hatcher? I don't get it. Prince of Persia rocked, it should be right up next to BG&E, seriously.
- Elite Beat Agents #1 on DS. That just made my day. Truth.
- Despite Okami for Wii being considered an inferior port, and I've never played it, I'd complain endlessly about its low position anyway. But man am I entertained that it got above Guitar Hero III and... what's this? Above Wii Fit? Hahaha! But then I see "Bully" above it and my glee goes back down to the whimper.

And from what the others said here, yeah, why on earth is Kirby Super Star and Super Mario RPG nowhere on the SNES list?
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 03:29:48 PM »
I guess we should organize a letter writing campaign going What The Heck, Nintendo?
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
I don't think Reggie likes people. He doesn't like making them happy or listening to them when they're not. All he cares about is "taking names."
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »
Well, I definitely agree with the top 5 SNES games. I'm not sure how many of these games match up, but I was disappointed to see the first Super Mario Land didn't make the cut.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
Honestly while Super Mario World is a great game I really don't know if it belongs in the top 5, at the expense of like Yoshi's Island or something.
That was a joke.

Wiiario

• Has seen Kirby naked
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 08:03:46 PM »
I don't think Reggie likes people. He doesn't like making them happy or listening to them when they're not. All he cares about is "taking names."

He also likes kicking axes and making games to boot.
...But not a people person.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:33:05 PM by Suffix »
I really don't care much for logic.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
They're Nintendo Power, people. They can't organize a decent "best of" list to save their lives (especially now that they sold out).

Are people who speak English and get employed by Nintendo in some way, directly or not, simply not allowed to know that Super Mario RPG and EarthBound exist?
QFT

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
NES: Switch #1 and #2.
Game Boy: #3 should be #1.
SNES: #2 should be #1.
N64: #2 should be #1 again.
Gamecube: #3 should be #1 and #19 should be #2.
DS: Fine with me.
Wii: Switch #3 and #2.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »
I think Nintendo Power is the only thing in the universe to be powered by pure, concentrated, hype-fueled nostalgia. EGM had the right idea when they did "Best Games of Their Time".

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »
Nostalgia is the only excuse I can think of for their consistently placing Zelda titles above Mario.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 02:01:38 AM »
I am sooooo sick and tired of seeing Twilight Princess so high up on lists like this. It would've been 8 million times better if it stayed only on Gamecube. As a Wii game, it's terrible. Even so, if it were on Gamecube exclusively, it still isn't that great a game...
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »
Haha what, are you kidding?
It wasn't super nifty groundbreaking, but it was still good. On Wii. I'm sure the GameCube version is fine too.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
Honestly, what is with the Twilight Princess-bashing? I'm not talking about here, specifically, but it seems like everywhere I go on the web, people are talking about it being overrated. Honestly, the only glaring fault of the Wii version was Link being right-handed.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »
I played the Wii version of Twilight Princess, and soon afterward, the GCN port of Ocarina of Time. I can safely say I liked the controls in Twilight Princess better.

Better.

Better.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »
I like Zelda games, but I don't think they should be placed higher than Mario games.

Honestly, what is with the Twilight Princess-bashing? I'm not talking about here, specifically, but it seems like everywhere I go on the web, people are talking about it being overrated. Honestly, the only glaring fault of the Wii version was Link being right-handed.

I've never played the Wii version, but I thought it was the best Zelda game.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
It is to me.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
From what I've read and gathered, there's 2 main reasons for the Twilight Princess hate:

1. It's more of the same, with the wolf thing and shake attacks as gimmicks
2. It's Ocarina of Time with a new coat of paint

Also, SNES list fails for leaving out Donkey Kong Country 2.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »
Saying Twilight Princess is the Ocarina of Time with a new coat of paint is just like saying the Ocarina of Time is a 3D version of A Link to the Past. The Link-Wolf-Midna mechanic is really not that similar to the Young Link-Old Link-Navi mechanic. And all the dungeons have the same general idea, throughout every game.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
Also, SNES list fails for leaving out Donkey Kong Country 2.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »
Lack-of-Rare angst, I'm sure.

1. It's more of the same, with the wolf thing and shake attacks as gimmicks
In that case, Majora's Mask is more of the same with the masks and "3 days" as a gimmick. Or maybe Wind Waker is more of the same with cel-shading as a gimmick. Or maybe Minish Cap is more of the same with shrinking as a gimmick... The only true gimmicks are those that involve peripherals/"innovative" control methods.

2. It's Ocarina of Time with a new coat of paint
If this has anything to do with the fact that the world map of GCN TP is almost identical to Ocarina of Time's... that's called canonical accuracy.

I understand that you just posted those two statements to answer my question, so it's not like I'm bashing you for believing in them.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »
I like Twilight Princess, but I think Wind Waker is better as a Zelda game. TP might be the better game overall, but I feel like WW is closer to Miyamoto's vision, what with the exploration and the youthful look and whatnot. Not that I know what Miyamoto thinks, but WW feels more like his descriptions of exploring in the woods as a kid as an inspiration for the original LOZ, while TP seems more like a way of just ending the OoT era.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »
Miyamoto makes some great games (or used to before he became the overseer) but I hardly think his gaming ideals are very awesome.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
I feel like WW is closer to Miyamoto's vision, what with the exploration and the youthful look and whatnot. Not that I know what Miyamoto thinks, but WW feels more like his descriptions of exploring in the woods as a kid as an inspiration for the original LOZ,
Hmm... I definitely see what you're saying there. After all, that was arguably the most exploration-heavy Zelda game, what with the ocean (love it or hate it) and all.

That reminds me of something I was pondering before... Would you say WW technically has the biggest overworld of any videogame or not?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 04:41:01 AM »
That's it!!

I've been tossing the 3-D Zelda games around in my thoughts trying to determine which one was best after OoT. Twilight Princess is a great game, but something about it has felt un-Zelda-ly to me, and I didn't know what. Now I know--it's that I don't have memories of wandering around between the story's events in the first playthrough. After the game, yes, but that's not the same. I guess it's partially my fault for being a point-A-point-B gamer who needs to get stuck before exploring for answers, but then again it's also the game's fault for giving me the answers too easily.

...That's one of the things. Another is Midna... Tatl's character changes over the course of Majora's Mask, yes, and having a character who does that isn't a bad thing at all, but sometimes it's appreciated that she stays out of the way... Midna's okay but still, feeling totally alone makes the exploration of a game work out a bit better sometimes. Possibly why my best memories of exploring EarthBound in my first playthrough are of Twoson, before meeting up with Paula. I'll spare you and stop there.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »
I too tossed the 3D Zeldas around in my thoughts and figured out the best one: Okami                                             

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2008, 08:16:19 PM »
I too tossed the 3D Zeldas around in my thoughts and figured out the best one: Okami                                             
I wouldn't say it's my favorite overall, but off all the Zelda games (2D & 3D) it's definitely in my top five.  Of the 3D games it probably gets 2nd place.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »
I dunno. Twilight Princess...  It just... the whole game dragged on, for me. Normally, I say the longer a game is, the better. But its story was just so hackneyed and cliched, I was like "What the hell am I even supposed to do?" I absolutely could not get into it. Nintendo needs to stop vomiting out this same rubbish, their favorite recycled plot of "OH NO THE DARK WORLD IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE LIGHT WORLD."

Not to mention the music was GOD AWFUL. In today's day and age, a game like that without any orchestrated music is an absolute crime. Normally, midi is fine, but even so, most of the songs themselves were uninspired and quite forgetable. The only one piece in the entire game I can actually remember after two playthroughs is the Hyrule Field main theme. And this is coming from a game music coinoisseur who can basically recognize any music from any game on the spot.

See, I'm not comparing it to Ocarina of Time either cause frankly, I didn't think that game was really as good as people think it is either. Really, it was the flow of the game that did it in, for me. It's just like... there was no real initiative to keep me playing like other games have. Some games, its the story, some games are just fun to play, but this one just... eh. I actually didn't beat it until almost a year after buying it simply because I picked it out of my shelf and forced myself to beat it.

Just for comparison purposes, my favorite Zelda game was Wind Waker. Favorite game ever is Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, and then Super Mario Galaxy as a close second.
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2008, 01:20:05 AM »
I was going to post about how you're wrong, but I figured, what's the point?
Anyway it has a lot of good music and I know why they didn't feel like they could do orchestrated music and you don't.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »
I forgot to mention, it suffers from a bad case of useless item syndrome. The whole game falls into that trap of "New dungeon, new item, now it's useless." Though I guess most Zelda games do that.

And I dunno why you're telling me I'm wrong. I'm not arguing that it's a bad game. I just said I don't like it as much as I thought I would have. Then again, I'm not really much of a Zelda fan anyway. Oh well. I'm gonna sell it.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 08:38:43 AM »
A person sent in a letter that got printed that said this in it:

Why do you show blatent fanboyism of the Zelda games all the time?
(or something like that)

Answer:

Because its the best game series ever.
(same)

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »
I'm familiar with Nintendo avoiding questions and acting cheesy in their answers, so I'm not surprised by that response.

But they seemed to care in the early days. They would include interesting articles such as how games are made, how games should objectively be judged (don't blindly buy on brand alone, look at reviews, rent them, give obscure games a chance (there was once an article dedicated to obscure great games), what matters most is whether it's fun to you, etc.), and even a look at Japanese games that didn't make it to America - Mother 1 being one of them. But I also recall seeing a few letters printed that criticized Nintendo and games. Like complaining about the comics Nintendo included, or saying that the graphics for Star Fox for SNES are terrible and that they should wait for the SuperFX chip to mature or go to a new system before attempting 3D again. Nevermind that Nintendo didn't respond to those particular letters. Though they did print a lone letter from someone defending the comics.

In perspective, though, as a kid I would have found the articles on behind-the-scenes games and game philosophy to be boring, and I remember not caring for the comics save for the Star Fox one. As an adult, they're amazing. Amazing to see them talk about the SNES and N64 before they came out, how the SNES audio worked, offering people to create their own paper Arwing, arguing against holding out for games (basically that if you wait for the next console, expecting more fun, you're going to miss out on a lot of great games now), debunking the Sega Blast Processing rumor by saying it's a marketing term for good programming practices, and warning fans ahead of time that the Super Mario Bros. movie would be a LOT different than the games. I don't think Nintendo was entirely enthusiastic when talking about it, so at least that combined with talking about the differences tells me that Nintendo used to be honest.

There was also one time that when Nintendo offered the next topic for people to send letters on, to be displayed in a future magazine (they did that every issue, show letters on a certain topic, then display the next topic), the topic was to discuss games you had high hopes for but turned out to be terrible. Why was the game terrible, what did you want to see to make it more enjoyable for you. I don't recall what the answers were, I'll have to find them sometime, but it warms my heart to think they used to be more in touch with gamers.

Maybe I'm an old Nintendo fogey, but there's such a big difference between the Nintendo Power magazines of old and the new ones it's just embarrassing. I want my Power Player cards, dagnabbit!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:03:10 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »
Well, like I said, I'm not too keen on them either now. However, as they're not owned by Nintendo anymore, it's acceptable for them to actually mention Conker's Bad Fud Day and openly discuss how good certain PS2  games.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »
I dunno. I didnt renew my subscription. I'm sick and tired of the gross amount of incredible ultra fanboy nerdiness. Yes I'm aware it's a video game magazine, but seriously, when I see a constant stream of people sending in their crummy cosplay pictures and Nintendo Power constantly saying "hurrrrr niec jobz dude u look 2 kawaiiii', I just can't take it anymore. (Not to mention, mothers, stop sending in pictures of the cakes you build for your 12 year olds. They're not as cool looking as you think.) I miss the old Nintendo Power before games became insanely mainstream, where all they did was post maps and comics and stuff. Sure, you can get it all online now, but still... maybe it's just time for the magazine to go the way of the typewriter.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:35 AM »
Yeah, my supscription expired a few weeks ago and I've had no strong desire to renew it. The only things I want it for now are the pullout posters (which range from pretty good to ultra lame), Pulse, and the interview section.

Also, is Future also the owner of GamesRadar? Those last few issues I had seemed to advertise them every ten pages.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 08:21:19 AM »
I hate magazine posters.  Not because of the content, but because they are folded. The creases are very annoying.  Posters should be full size and flat or rolled up and shipped in tubes.  Rolled posters may take awhile to flatten, but at least you are not left with annoying creases. 

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 08:25:40 AM »
I don't really have a "poster preference," as long as they look good.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 08:50:32 AM »
Okay. 

* Luigison takes Turtlekid1's favorite poster off his wall, folds it into a tiny square, then hands it back to him.

Now do you have a preference?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 09:05:30 AM »
Speaking of NP and posters, did anyone else get a poster book from them like I did?

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
I hate magazine posters.  Not because of the content, but because they are folded. The creases are very annoying.  Posters should be full size and flat or rolled up and shipped in tubes.  Rolled posters may take awhile to flatten, but at least you are not left with annoying creases. 

They look fine in the Angry Video Game Nerd's room. Although the footage never closes up on them. He did talk about how annoying it was pulling them out without ripping parts of the magazine in his Nintendo Power retrospective.

Which brings me to wonder how in the world anyone could make use of that Nintendo Power poster book without physcially pulling out the staples.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »
Nail clippers. That's what I did. Worked fine for me. See? (Ignore the MP1 poster. I've had that for many years.)

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »
Someday, there will be an insane person, and he will go, and he will kill Reggie for the misery he caused. That day may be far off, or it may be close. Perhaps it will be your choice.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:05:24 PM by Nintendoobsessed »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2008, 07:33:08 PM »
Nintendoobsessed....just... just shut up.

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »
Speaking of NP and posters, did anyone else get a poster book from them like I did?
Wait is this poster book recent or from an older issue
Noy Duh

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2008, 03:42:28 AM »
I got it at the beginning of last month. Apparently it is my subscription bonus because they ran out of Phantom Hourglass guides. Fine by me. I'd rather have a bunch of posters than a guide to a game I've never even played. :P

Anyway, it wasn't actually inside an issue. It was it's own stand-alone book. It and the magazine came together in the same clear plastic wrapper.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:29:21 AM by N64 Chick »

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2008, 07:41:48 AM »
Oh, one of thoughs subscribe with us and get a gift thing
I got my Mystery Dungeon ina seperate one last year and this year im suposed to get a Mario Kart Wii guide
Noy Duh

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2008, 02:08:30 PM »
Someday, there will be an insane person, and he will go, and he will kill Reggie for the misery he caused. That day may be far off, or it may be close. Perhaps it will be your choice.

$50 says it will be a bunch of crazy Mother fans.

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »
Animal Crossing: World World???

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2008, 08:22:32 PM »
I saw one of those poster books in the store a few weeks ago. I honestly though have never taken any of their posters out. I've been subscribing since 1995 or something, and not once did I ever really want one of the posters. I guess I'm just not a poster guy.

But yes, regardless of posters, the magazines just arent worth it anymore.
= = = = = = =

Print