Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Power August 2008 Best of the Best  (Read 14112 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »
Well, I definitely agree with the top 5 SNES games. I'm not sure how many of these games match up, but I was disappointed to see the first Super Mario Land didn't make the cut.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
Honestly while Super Mario World is a great game I really don't know if it belongs in the top 5, at the expense of like Yoshi's Island or something.
That was a joke.

Wiiario

• Has seen Kirby naked
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 08:03:46 PM »
I don't think Reggie likes people. He doesn't like making them happy or listening to them when they're not. All he cares about is "taking names."

He also likes kicking axes and making games to boot.
...But not a people person.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:33:05 PM by Suffix »
I really don't care much for logic.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
They're Nintendo Power, people. They can't organize a decent "best of" list to save their lives (especially now that they sold out).

Are people who speak English and get employed by Nintendo in some way, directly or not, simply not allowed to know that Super Mario RPG and EarthBound exist?
QFT
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
NES: Switch #1 and #2.
Game Boy: #3 should be #1.
SNES: #2 should be #1.
N64: #2 should be #1 again.
Gamecube: #3 should be #1 and #19 should be #2.
DS: Fine with me.
Wii: Switch #3 and #2.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »
I think Nintendo Power is the only thing in the universe to be powered by pure, concentrated, hype-fueled nostalgia. EGM had the right idea when they did "Best Games of Their Time".

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »
Nostalgia is the only excuse I can think of for their consistently placing Zelda titles above Mario.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 02:01:38 AM »
I am sooooo sick and tired of seeing Twilight Princess so high up on lists like this. It would've been 8 million times better if it stayed only on Gamecube. As a Wii game, it's terrible. Even so, if it were on Gamecube exclusively, it still isn't that great a game...
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »
Haha what, are you kidding?
It wasn't super nifty groundbreaking, but it was still good. On Wii. I'm sure the GameCube version is fine too.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
Honestly, what is with the Twilight Princess-bashing? I'm not talking about here, specifically, but it seems like everywhere I go on the web, people are talking about it being overrated. Honestly, the only glaring fault of the Wii version was Link being right-handed.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »
I played the Wii version of Twilight Princess, and soon afterward, the GCN port of Ocarina of Time. I can safely say I liked the controls in Twilight Princess better.

Better.

Better.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »
I like Zelda games, but I don't think they should be placed higher than Mario games.

Honestly, what is with the Twilight Princess-bashing? I'm not talking about here, specifically, but it seems like everywhere I go on the web, people are talking about it being overrated. Honestly, the only glaring fault of the Wii version was Link being right-handed.

I've never played the Wii version, but I thought it was the best Zelda game.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
It is to me.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
From what I've read and gathered, there's 2 main reasons for the Twilight Princess hate:

1. It's more of the same, with the wolf thing and shake attacks as gimmicks
2. It's Ocarina of Time with a new coat of paint

Also, SNES list fails for leaving out Donkey Kong Country 2.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »
Saying Twilight Princess is the Ocarina of Time with a new coat of paint is just like saying the Ocarina of Time is a 3D version of A Link to the Past. The Link-Wolf-Midna mechanic is really not that similar to the Young Link-Old Link-Navi mechanic. And all the dungeons have the same general idea, throughout every game.

Print