Print

Author Topic: Why Can't We All Be Friends?  (Read 13040 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: December 13, 2005, 03:03:40 PM »
As you may know, there has been a very long feud going on between the console gamers and the PC gamers. Why is this? Many PC gamers argue that PC games are technologically superior to console games, and thefore all who play console games are primitive monkeys and they hate them. Console gamers argue that PC games are always buggy and unfinished and you have to pay to upgrade them and they hate them. While these and many other claims are based in some truth, we need to stop this. I mean, GamePro has the idea; they cover both PC and console games (although they seem to cover more console games than PC games). Heck, I play games on all three current consoles and the PC. But that's not all: Fans of all three current companies all seem to hate each other. Nintendo fans hate Sony and Microsoft fans because they argue those companies care less about innovation; Microsoft fans sneer at everyone playing GameCube, PS2 and PC games and believe all games should be Xbox-exclusive; and Sony fans are actually pretty nice and agreeable, but there are still lots of constantly angry ones. Now, I'm not saying that all fans are like this (again, look at GamePro), but why must the PC-console/Nintendo-Sony-Microsoft fan wars continue?
every

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:06:11 PM »
I must not be a part of this at all, because I have never complained about it. Lucky me!! ;D
I'm a horrible person.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 03:18:12 PM »
I never disliked PC gamers in my entire life, but that doesn't prevent me from disliking computer games. For me, good computer games are hard to come by.

I think the biggest conflict between these two groups are their interests.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:27:09 PM »
I've liked PC games long before I even got a game system, and I like both of the platforms. Consoles are easier to use, while PC games sometimes have more features, like the PC versino of GTA:SA compared to the PS2 version.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:40:53 PM »
I'm the same as LS, but my first Mario game was Super Mario Advance, and I am more into video games, but a good game of Age of Empires is always fun.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 04:13:08 PM »
My first GBA game was SMA, as well! My first PC game was either Super Solvers, Doom 2, or Treasure Mountain.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:30:44 PM »
Wow, that's strange, not too strange, it was bound to happen with someone.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 06:10:57 PM »
PC games? That never occurred to me. My only complaint about them is my inability with the keyboard.  I have to look at the keyboard to type, so how much better do you think I'd be in a game? And it would take time away from me to spend on the FF's... I can play a console and talk here simultaneously. And I won't play a game without Mario or Kirby or Yoshi or something in it. But I'm not going to insult a PC game and say it sucks just because it's on the PC.

About the console rivalry, I only hate XBOX. That's only because they choose to say they're the best. Nintendo people never say they're the best, as far as I know, Sony doesn't either. And the XBOX fans I know are really crappy people. They hover around me saying "Hey, we got a new XBOX. You just got a smaller GameBoy."
Me: "I never said I liked the GameBoy Micro. I'm not going to get one."
"Yeah I'm getting an XBOX360. Have fun with your tiny GameBoy."
Me: "I don't want a freaking GameBoy Micro!"
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:22:48 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 06:27:18 PM »
Wow, that makes me want to meet an XBox freak!!
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 06:34:16 PM »
Oops... I just remembered that was a PSP freak. It went more like...
"Do you have your DS with you?"
"Yes. Why?"
"I have my PSP."
"So."
"Do you have one of those stupid mini-GameBoys?"
"No, I don't have or plan on getting a GameBoy Micro."
"That thing is so dumb. I hate Nintendo."
"It's not dumb, it's just not necessary."
"Why do you want one?"
"I don't. My DS is good enough."
"Oh. The GameBoy Micro is dumb."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:37:09 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »
Hey, not all Xbox or PSP fans are like that (though the people who run Xbox game magazines are). My friend Andy is an Xbox fan, and he's nice (and alo owns a GBA, PC and DS). Also, look at me: I'm a fan of all current system (every single one of 'em) and I don't hate everyone in the world.
every

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 07:00:44 PM »
I really don't care what people think of Nintendo anymore. All my life I have heard things like "Nintendo stinks, get Sony stuff", and "DS is so dumb because of the touch screen." They probrobly have never touched a DS before. Anyways I'm used to the whole "Nintendo is bad." thing.

Why people care so much about others playing other systems? I don't know. What I DO know is that I like Nintendo, because of their games and the certain feel when you play them. Some people don't like changes to games(F.Y.I Nintendo DS and Revolution) I have to admit, Nintendo should't be taking away some of the classic gameplay, instead, like on the Revolution, they should make a normal controller. But they should still keep the remote controller though, just have the original too.

Pretty soon you will see Sony fanboys dropping bombs on a Nintendo factory while PC gamers are sneeking in to the "XBox Headquarters" to assasinate the commander or XBox. :o

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 07:35:03 PM »
Hey, not all Xbox or PSP fans are like that (though the people who run Xbox game magazines are). My friend Andy is an Xbox fan, and he's nice (and alo owns a GBA, PC and DS). Also, look at me: I'm a fan of all current system (every single one of 'em) and I don't hate everyone in the world.
Look at your post. You and your friend are fine because you accept that Nintendo exists. The people I know hat Nintendo for no real reason.

and Khold: I feel exactly the same way. Once I asrgued with a person and the only thing he said to defend XBOX was that the graphics are the best thing about video games. They're not.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 07:38:04 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 07:43:39 PM »
Cause I liked some of you and hate the rest of you.

Naw, just kidding. I <33333333333333333333333333333333333333333 you all.
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 08:12:31 PM »
I owned a PSP fanboy once. I was playing my Micro in the library and the dude goes up to me and says "Dude the PSP is way better. Get rid of that" and then I'm like "If the PSP is way better why is it behind the DS and Gameboy in sales? Better yet, how did Mario Kart DS outsell Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories?" and he thought I was making it up so I went to a computer and opened up 2 windows with IGN.com and GCadvanced.com and he saw the numbers and then he had a face that almost said "Owned!".
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 08:22:53 PM »
Ha, ha! That's awsome!!
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 02:12:51 AM »
Nearly all of my friends own at least one Nintendo system. When I talk to them about it, they don't act all secretive and try to hide it.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 06:57:37 AM »
I hate it how most console and PC gamers constantly argue to each other about which is better. It is like they are spending more time arguing than actually playing the games. And in most circumstances, the PC gamer has never really tried much console gaming, and vice versa.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 11:24:51 AM »
I think everyone I know has a Gameboy Advance SP. Once we went on a long field trip on a charter bus and we were allowed to use or GameBoys and CD players. Half of the bus had a GBASP. I take my DS with me all the time, just in case we end up having a clueless substitute or the bus is late.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 01:57:32 PM »
I don't bring any of my portables to school on a regular basis anymore since the time my Blue GBASP got jacked along with Pokemon Ruby. All that hard work went to waste.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 02:49:40 PM »
I used to bring my Advance every day to school, but now I just bring my mp3 player.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 07:22:19 PM »
I read PCGamer sometimes, and they bash consoles like there isn't a tomorrow. One article about "Putting the NO to nostalgia", one editor said "If you want to play old games and want to go back in time, there are some new console games coming out."
I mean, c'mon, the things they say to companies like Nintendo. They saved Video Games for goodness sakes!

Anyways, one of my VERY sport ethustiastic friends actually owns a Gamecube. He always told me those things were babyish, but ho-ho, have the tables flipped! (Or turned, blah)
Most Wishy-Washy

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 09:23:30 AM »
PCGamer is going down! No one should insult nostalgia! You know why? Because those boneheads don't know that things in the past created the things of the future! Without the past, the future wouldn't exist! Everyone and everything has an inspiration. For example, for all of the rap people out there that are bashing rock, rap was created by people back in the days who rapped to rock vinyl records!! Did I get my point yet?
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 01:14:18 PM »
Yeah, I remember when PC Gamer would just do what their title (sorta) implies: review PC games. Then, somewhere along the line, they became jerks and just ended up turning into another generic console-bashing PC magazine. They used to be better than that.

On a different note, just because the DS outsold the PSP doesn't mean it's better, per se. They're both equal. Sure, the PSP's game library is pretty rotten for now, but it'll improve. Sure, the DS outsold the PSP, but it's not BETTER. They're both equal. Besides, they'll both be pwned into obvlivion when the portable Xbox comes out (just kidding!)
every

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 02:47:22 PM »
The portable Xbox? The handheld 'll blow up!

What next, PCPortable?
Most Wishy-Washy

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »
PC Portable? Even a nostalgia freak like me knows there's such a thing as a digital organizer. Play music, organize things, go on the Internet. Just like a PC.

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 04:03:51 PM »
I mean a Handheld PC GAMING.
Internet just won't cut it.
Most Wishy-Washy

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »
Okay. I don't like Pc games much myself. Worms: Armageddon is fun though.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 08:50:36 PM »
The DS is cool because it was a chance Nintendo took that succeeded. The PSP is cool looking, but it's just Playstation's Gameboy. It was a success but they didn't try to do anything brand new with it.
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 02:42:10 PM »
See what I mean? I was anticipating a post like dude677's (not that I don't like him). You see, my topic wasn't about which system is best or how Nintendo rules or whatever, but to ask why the heck everyone is acting like this. I hate to say it, but Nintendo fans are among the worst. They just hate any system that isn't a Nintendo system simply because Nintendo didn't make it. I's like to see one Nintendo fan on this board that owns a PSP, PS2 or Xbox and plays it regularly. I'm not trying to start a fight, but just trying to prove a point.
every

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2005, 05:06:13 PM »
im the only one out of all my friends (that doesnt count my families (were video game fanatics!!!) that actually plays nintendo
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 02:50:22 PM »
I hate it how most console and PC gamers constantly argue to each other about which is better. It is like they are spending more time arguing than actually playing the games. And in most circumstances, the PC gamer has never really tried much console gaming, and vice versa.

Sorry to quote you, but I am a PC-Console gamer. Yeah, I'm good.
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 06:04:38 PM »
See what I mean? I was anticipating a post like dude677's (not that I don't like him). You see, my topic wasn't about which system is best or how Nintendo rules or whatever, but to ask why the heck everyone is acting like this. I hate to say it, but Nintendo fans are among the worst. They just hate any system that isn't a Nintendo system simply because Nintendo didn't make it. I's like to see one Nintendo fan on this board that owns a PSP, PS2 or Xbox and plays it regularly. I'm not trying to start a fight, but just trying to prove a point.

*Raises hand*

*Tells Poop Dude to raise his hand too*

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 06:21:25 PM »
As you may know, there has been a very long feud going on between the console gamers and the PC gamers. Why is this? Many PC gamers argue that PC games are technologically superior to console games, and thefore all who play console games are primitive monkeys and they hate them. Console gamers argue that PC games are always buggy and unfinished and you have to pay to upgrade them and they hate them. While these and many other claims are based in some truth, we need to stop this. I mean, GamePro has the idea; they cover both PC and console games (although they seem to cover more console games than PC games). Heck, I play games on all three current consoles and the PC. But that's not all: Fans of all three current companies all seem to hate each other. Nintendo fans hate Sony and Microsoft fans because they argue those companies care less about innovation; Microsoft fans sneer at everyone playing GameCube, PS2 and PC games and believe all games should be Xbox-exclusive; and Sony fans are actually pretty nice and agreeable, but there are still lots of constantly angry ones. Now, I'm not saying that all fans are like this (again, look at GamePro), but why must the PC-console/Nintendo-Sony-Microsoft fan wars continue?

How about a big fat no.

This is life. People may not like each other. The world would be creepy if there were no arguments around here. Fights are nothing new. People try to argue because they want to support their system or PC. People may say something, people may not care. Others will want to prove them wrong. Live with it. Life isn't perfect.

So? I have all of the current-gen consoles, I don't care if people bash me for liking something more than something else. I'm a Nintendo fan, I don't hate any other companies. I love every company. Nintendo fans aren't like that. Some of them are.

So my point is in my signature.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 06:31:53 PM by Aarom11 »

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2005, 03:11:33 PM »
I like Microsofts, Sonys, and Nintendos games. They all have redeeming factors. Sony has good sports titiles that plays best on their system (Madden), Microsoft has good action (Halo) and racing (Project Gotham Racing), and Nintendo is great for adventure and platformer titles. They all are great. My question is,

Why can't they be friends?
Most Wishy-Washy

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2005, 04:51:31 PM »
EXACTLY. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Wait, I...I just had an idea! I know that this will never happen a hillion jillion years, but what if Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all banded together to create one big cool game? It could be a shooter. Nintendo could do the whole "innovating" thing (like with Geist), Sony could add a cool story and list of weapons, and Microsoft could polish it all with Halo-style multiplayer and game engine (they could include cool racing segments). And it could come out on all four systems. And not suck. A game like this could bring together all of the constantly fighting game fans together to play deathmatch as football-playing ghosts driving cars that fire turtle shells at plumbers. That would rock so hard I would pee my pants.
every

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 05:53:37 PM »
In your dreams.

The world would be dull if everybody only had one system, or I shuold say company to praise.

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2005, 06:29:01 PM »
No competition = higher prices for games and one system = another video game market crash.

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2005, 07:04:33 PM »
Maybe it will be worse than the E.T. crash.

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2005, 01:36:17 AM »
Because to eliminate this, we would have to eliminate the fact that we can have opinions. Without opinions, there would be no facts, which would result in complete world homogonisation kupo. (SP)

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2005, 09:21:03 AM »
Hey, MOG77, what does 'kupo' mean?
Most Wishy-Washy

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2005, 04:20:39 PM »
It means "one who kupos alot". Actually, I think it's something Moogles say.

But what I meant earlier was not for Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony to merge and form one big company or whatever, but to band together to make one big huge game that would be the coolest game ever. Which it would be.
every

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2005, 04:35:52 PM »
Kupo is from Kingdom Hearts chain of Memories.

But it would go into more arguement because fans will say Nintendo worked most in this game.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2005, 04:40:56 PM »
Kupo didn't start in KHCM. It started in Final Fantasy Tactics.

This means one thing: check out one of those bizarre, single-minded sites that focus on one thing only. (Kinda like TMK...)
every

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2005, 09:00:19 AM »
Whatever.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2005, 11:44:13 AM »
In case you didn't notice, Glorb, we are a Mario site, not an Every Video Game site.
I don't understand how you could think a huge conglomerate game could be good. Not only would there be way too much in it to ever be completed, but all the elements you suggest would not fit together very well at all. If you didn't know before, competition is good for the industry. It means no one who simply stagnates will succeed.
Competing systems are definitely not equal. While the PSP has more power than the DS, it has fewer games, and hardly any games worth playing, and also is afflicted with sloppy design and manufacturing. Obviously, it is my opinion that DS is superior, but if you notice, it is the opinion of the majority of consumers also. If you think differently, all you can do is say that you do, and stop trying to  convince other people of your notion that everything is equal. Because it isn't. If it were, we would have no competition, no market, and ultimately no games worth playing at all.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2005, 11:46:17 AM »
Chup, that was the best post of yours I have read in a long while.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2005, 02:17:02 PM »
I think the best thing about Nintendo is that they take chances. They didn't know how the DS would turn out with the touch screen and all, but they did it anyway. For the PSP Sony just made a portable. Safe and boring, they already knew it would be successful based on the PS2's success.
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2005, 02:45:40 PM »
A stand-up comic was telling jokes and said one or two about racism.  Then a man stood up in the audience and said, "Stop joking about racism!"
"How come?" my friend asked.
"It doesn't even exist anymore," came the man's reply.
"Well, I hate you."

Why can't we all be friends?  Because we don't embrace diversity!  Synergize, Synergize, Synergize!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2005, 09:28:48 PM »
The world is corrupted.

That's the whole point.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2005, 12:46:31 PM »
Again with the PSP vs. DS debate. OF COURSE you all think the DS is better; that's your opinion. That's fine. Is it wrong of me, however, to merely state that I like both systems? And why is it that the PSP is "bad" because it didn't sell as much as the DS, and the DS is better because it has a touch screen? In case you don't remember, the PS2 sold the most (by far) of the current-gen consoles, although it was the least advanced. Of course, that dosen't mean the GameCube and Xbox sucked monkey poo, or vice versa; it's a matter of sales points. So please, no more arguing based on sales figures; in addition, no more arguing based on so-called "quality" (opinion) of games, and no more arguing based on what company made it. The purpose of this topic was to make friends, not argue that the PSP/PS2/Xbox was crappy.
every

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2005, 02:31:24 PM »
The only reason I don't like PS2 or X-Box is because they don't have Pokemon games. If Pokemon were a PS2 or X-Box exclusive, I'd probably hate Nintendo. If Pokemon games were on all three, I might get a PS2 or an X-Box, just to try out the Pokemon games on those systems. Pokemon got me into lots of different video games, such as Mario and Sonic, just because of what system it was on. In fact, the only game system(not counting my computer) I have that doesn't have a Pokemon game to go with it(that I own) is my DS. And now I'm going to sing a song that kinda makes sense for this topic.

< music > Why can't weeeee be friends, why can't weeeee be friends? Why can't weeeee be friends, why can't weeEee be friends? < /music >
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 02:33:40 PM by GiftedGirl »
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2005, 02:42:14 PM »
The purpose of this topic was to make friends, not argue that the PSP/PS2/Xbox was crappy.
But we already are friends because we have a common interest: Mario. I don't see anyone here arguing.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2005, 02:43:12 PM »
Besides, it wouldn't be much of an arguement anyway...
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2005, 09:47:03 AM »
Again with the PSP vs. DS debate. OF COURSE you all think the DS is better; that's your opinion. That's fine. Is it wrong of me, however, to merely state that I like both systems? And why is it that the PSP is "bad" because it didn't sell as much as the DS, and the DS is better because it has a touch screen? In case you don't remember, the PS2 sold the most (by far) of the current-gen consoles, although it was the least advanced. Of course, that dosen't mean the GameCube and Xbox sucked monkey poo, or vice versa; it's a matter of sales points. So please, no more arguing based on sales figures; in addition, no more arguing based on so-called "quality" (opinion) of games, and no more arguing based on what company made it. The purpose of this topic was to make friends, not argue that the PSP/PS2/Xbox was crappy.

Did we even say something like that?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »
Well...yeah.

But it's time to set aside our differences, for today is Christmas (and Hannukkah!).

Merry Fishmas, and a Crappy Poo Ear!
every

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2005, 06:54:54 PM »
Yesterday was Weinachten, but does anyone care?  Noooooooyes!  Happiness!  Goodie Christmas everyone!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2005, 06:04:33 PM »
I can't tell, was that a pun? Well, never mind.

Recently, a person whose name shall not be disclosed on acount of security purposes (heirafter known as "Ralph") and I were in a discussion on whether Half-Life 2 or Halo 2 were better. I argued in favor of Half-Life 2, mostly because of the Gravity Gun (and the graphics and story and voicework). "Ralph" argued in favor of halo 2, because it was good. At one point, however, "Ralph" said that Half-Life 2 was terrible because it was a PC game, and Halo 2 is better because you can hold two guns at once. Granted, "Ralph" had never played Half-Life 2. So let's review: Halo 2, a game that, while awesome, does not innovate in any way whatsoever, is better than Half-Life 2 because of the dual-wielding feature, which has been around since 1996. Half-Life 2 was bad because it was for the PC. And then he killed someone. Do you see where this kind of prejudice leads? (Okay, "Ralph" didn't kill anyone, although he came very close.)
every

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2005, 07:48:55 PM »
Silly Glorb, First Person shooter games are for future school shooters :).

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2005, 08:32:04 PM »
Oops, it's really spelled Weihnachten.

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »
Silly Glorb, First Person shooter games are for future school shooters :).

I would love to know where you got that from...
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Print