Print

Author Topic: Is the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe cartridge's memory faulty?  (Read 9844 times)

« on: February 12, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »
I was playing Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and I was on level 8-4 of Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels/Super Mario Bros. for Super Players. I wanted to take a break so I turn it off. When I turned it back on the memory was completely blank. Is this just my game or is it just a problem in the game? It also happened at such a bad time.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »
Did you ever save your game?
I guess you had to. The battery could have gone bad. The cartridge might just be dirty though.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
 I think carts designed for GBC may all have been a little faulty. My copies of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, AS WELL AS Link's Awakening DX have stopped working altogether. I got R-type DX used, so I don't know when that will act up. (or if.)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »
I know from years of experience at work that all Pokemon games for GB and GBC have a horribly high rate of battery failure.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:23:41 AM »
Something simalar happened in Super Mario All Stars:The data on the game has probably deleted itself about 10 times. Now the A button won't respond and whenever I press B it holds it down, making Peach a lot harder to use.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:58:14 AM »
I was playing Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and I was on level 8-4 of Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels/Super Mario Bros. for Super Players. I wanted to take a break so I turn it off. When I turned it back on the memory was completely blank. Is this just my game or is it just a problem in the game? It also happened at such a bad time.

It happens to my cart every time I save and then turn it off.  If I want to complete the game, I have to do it all in one sitting.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »
I like how SMBDX is a more accurate port with a dead battery.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:02:54 PM »
My original copy of Link's Awakening displays only the opening cutscene, title screen, and... animated sprites. I think I mentioned that before...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
This is related to the games not working disscusion:
I own a Famicom and the Disk System and it will not play Doki Doki Panic. It works about every 200th attempt. I keep getting a Disk Error. I think it's number 27.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
I think your floppy disk is 20 years old, and 20-year-old floppy disks are known to fail, unfortunately.
That was a joke.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »
Entropy claims yet another victim! :V

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:29 AM »
Super Mario All-Stars has had problems with me too, notably deleting every non-B file every few months (why does it keep file B?); both of my copies of DX seem to work fine, though. (I'd be mad if I lost my neraly 2,000,000-point challenge mode score!)
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 09:06:13 AM »
My All Stars cartridge, when it still worked, occasionally erased the memory on its own. My SMBDX has never wiped its own memory, so I don't know what to tell you.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »
Super Mario All-Stars, especially the Super Mario Bros. 3 bank is particularity prone to self-deletion even on the Super Mario World version and for some reason also, the A and B controller scheme corrupts itself so that when you set it to scheme Type A, it sets itself to B during game play causing lots of deaths. The only way to fix the controller issue is to set it to Type A and move to different games and open and close their menus. What a monumentally dumb glitch.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
Maybe you just aren't a super player.

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »
I recall having two memory glitches or other problems (not counting how Okami on PS2 occasionally corrupts my third-party PS2 memory card, making it impossible for any other game to save to it... and you can't delete the saves unless you reformatted the card somehow. On that note, I hate when you're not allowed to move (and/or delete) a save game file. Looking at F-Zero GX and Smash Bros. Brawl here).

I got every character and course in Mario Golf, including the last secret character (thanks Dan from the Donkey Kong 64 / Jet Force Gemini videotape with the over-hyper Steve). But then as I was going through the menus one time, everything froze. I reset the game to find ALL my saved data lost. I didn't have it in me to unlock everything again.

And my Donkey Kong Land cartridge is unplayable, the graphics are all glitched up. It was hard seeing things in that game due to all the detail thrown in (I think you needed a Super Game Boy to have enough colors to tell what was going on), which is why glitched-up graphics made it that much harder.

I suppose it doesn't bother me that much in the long run since it rarely happens, although I'm sure there are some people who face this problem more often. I can't think of any alternatives, any way to mitigate this problem other than copying the save data to multiple memory cards or backing up to computer somehow or keeping the cartridges in a nice cool place. I guess just treasure your saves while you have them.

A few vaguely-related incidents:
- Rented Sonic the Hedgehog DX, it immediately popped up an error that the disc was unreadable due to dust or whatever.
- Rented Burnout 3 for PS2, it couldn't get past the menu loading screen.
- In Star Fox Adventures, I faced the glitch in Cloudrunner Fortress where you return the children to the Queen Cloudrunner... then you fall through the floor into a pink void. My solution was to leave the fortress (easier said than done) and come back.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:30:04 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 02:27:13 PM »
My NES versions of SMB and SMB3's graphics are often glitchy. Fortunately, SMB is fairly easy to play with garbled graphics. SMB3 is not so much, as the coins and bricks in levels like 1-4 look identical.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
You need to clean your cartridges.
That was a joke.

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »
I've heard a lot about battery failure, especially in old games, and it's kinda always been a concern of mine, but I've never had a problem with any game...except for Donkey Kong for game boy...so I bought a new one and it's fine.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »
Super Mario All Stars is the only game I've ever owned that got data deleted (besides the time my brother pulled out the G&WG3 game while the Game Boy was still on...)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 03:30:48 PM »
I remember when my SNES game batteries started to go bad... sad times. At least the games themselves still work.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print