Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii- Triple Star Rankings  (Read 8107 times)

« on: February 16, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »
How did you get your *** rankings? Was it pure luck?

The reason I ask is, I am still attempting to get *** on 150 and Mirror. I have mostly * and random letter rankings below that, so I was just wondering how some of you did it/are attempting to do it..

I like to use Toad (surprise!), but I do have other favorite Karts/Characters in each class (motorcycles- not so much..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »
You have to get good times, use good routes, and not run into anything.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »
But what about when you are hit by item after item (Blue Shell, POW, Red Shell, Blooper, Green Shell, Lightning..) Does the game take into account that you have no control over when the CP uses their items, I wonder?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:58:06 PM »
Good luck, I'm having trouble getting one star so this should be a real challenge.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
How did you get your *** rankings? Was it pure luck?
At first I thought you were just really frustrated, and I was trying to figure out what three-letter word would fit there.

(Segueing back to the topic) I get frustrated too when I'm trying to get star ranks. I'm not very good at racing games in general.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »
But what about when you are hit by item after item (Blue Shell, POW, Red Shell, Blooper, Green Shell, Lightning..) Does the game take into account that you have no control over when the CP uses their items, I wonder?

And to be a bit more off topic: I hate it that we lose our items when hit. That little tradition started in MKDD. I know you don't lose your item if you're hit by a shell (save for the Blue shell), but if you had a triple item, then you lose the two spares that you had (if you hadn't used them already).

Anyway, I was trying for a triple star rank in Mirror, Flower Cup, and got a one Star ranking. I improved by an entire rank! W00t!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »
I have a triple star rank in every cup on every CC. Here's some advice to achieving those 3 sparkling stars:

-Try to stay on track as much as possible
-Stay in First Place around 90% of the time
-Finish in First Place in every race
-Try not to hit into obstacles
-Avoid falling off the course or into lava
-Don't worry too much about items; they won't affect your ranking unless they get you into a lower place at the end of the race or if you get hit by too many (roughly around 30)
-If you're in First Place, get an item such as a Turtle Shell (Red or Green) or Banana Peel and hold it behind you at all times. This prevents CPU's from hitting you with Red Turtle Shells
-If you're drifting sharply with a Turtle Shell or Banana Peel behind you and a CPU's Red Turtle Shell is heading for you, let go of that drift and straighten up. This prevents the Red Turtle Shell from hitting you from your side
-Last but not least, complete each race as fast as you can!

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:30:59 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Sqrt2

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:27:48 AM »
I have a triple star rank in every cup on every CC. Here's some advice to achieving those 3 sparkling stars:

-Try to stay on track as much as possible
-Stay in First Place around 90% of the time
-Finish in First Place in every race
-Try not to hit into obstacles
-Avoid falling off the course or into lava
-Don't worry too much about items; they won't affect your ranking unless they get you into a lower place at the end of the race or if you get hit by too many (roughly around 30)
-If you're in First Place, get an item such as a Turtle Shell (Red or Green) or Banana Peel and hold it behind you at all times. This prevents CPU's from hitting you with Red Turtle Shells
-If you're drifting sharply with a Turtle Shell or Banana Peel behind you and a CPU's Red Turtle Shell is heading for you, let go of that drift and straighten up. This prevents the Red Turtle Shell from hitting you from your side
-Last but not least, complete each race as fast as you can!

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

How to avoid those f$#@%ing Blue Shells? I swear they're the reason that I haven't got a single *** ranking!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:40:36 AM by Sqrt2 »
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:34 AM »
I can't prove it because I've never done it but I've heard that if you use a mushroom right before the blue shell hits you you'll speed up and it'll miss you.

Sqrt2

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 03:37:14 AM »
I can't prove it because I've never done it but I've heard that if you use a mushroom right before the blue shell hits you you'll speed up and it'll miss you.

A mushroom? In first place? What is this madness?
AA fanboy and proud!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »
It works. If you can get a Mushroom before you have 1st place, hold on to it for Blue Shell emergencies.

The hardest part is holding on to it, because usually you get Lightning'd and lose it.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »
This worked once for me: throw a x3 Banana Cluster behind you before it hits you, and if you hit it at just the right time, it'll explode without you getting hurt. This worked on Double Dash, so I'm not sure if it works on MKWii.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 03:57:46 PM »
The hardest part is holding on to it, because usually you get Lightning'd and lose it.

or Pow'd, or crushed by Thwomp, or being towed by Lakitu, or just existing in general..

That's an idea I wish they would let go of: losing items after being hit by virtually any other item. It didn't start happening until DD, but has sadly been in every game since. I hate losing any Mushrooms/Stars that I was saving for an emergency, only to lose it in the last leg of the race when I'm hit by 3 Blue Shells, Lightning, Pow, and thusly end up over the edge becuase of said things happening..

Print