Print

Author Topic: New here and need some good advice  (Read 7731 times)

« on: September 29, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »
Hi all, i've recently been thinking about Mario and how much I used to really enjoy playing it. I'm probably soon going to be getting NSMB (by the way what's your opinion on it?) and until then I've REALLY been wanting to play the old SNES mario RPG. Now, I know there are things called emulators or something you can use but I don't know any technical stuff or anything. Any help guys? I'm really really bored.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 07:36:51 PM »
1. Welcome.
2. NSMB is awesome.
3. SMRPG is awesome.
4. Urghhh... rules...
Quote from: Deezer's List of Rules
Do not ask for ROMs or links to ROMs.
So sorry, can't do much there.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 12:03:20 PM »
Hello, there! NSMB, isn't absoulutly mind-blowinhg, nor does it match up to previous Mario side-scrollers, but it is awesome. It's a great addition to your DS collection and will supply oddles of fun for anyone. While it doesn't take long to get to Bowser (Using some shortcuts, aproximatly one hour), it'll take some time to to beat the game at 100%. I highly reccomend it.

I've never played SMRPG before, but judging by the ammount of praise surrounding it, the game is awesome. I think you should buy it and judge for yourself.

I don't know if we're allowed to talk about stuff relating to emulators, but I can tell you this; ROMs and emulators are highly illegal. Please don't download one, m'kay?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:03:47 AM by Robert »
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 12:33:36 PM »
Emulators are perfectly fine, it's the ROMs (Those are illegal copies of the game.) that are in fact illegal.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 02:34:19 PM »
Oh, come on. No cop is going to come and burst down your door and say, "You're under arrest for downloading a ten-year-old video game that Nintendo doesn't even make money off of anymore." This is all I have to say that applies just to this situation.

They say it's 100% legal if you download the ROM of a game you physically own--I mean, it's the same as if you hacked it yourself, only without the effort. You might say, "What? Why would anyone want to do that?" but there are one or two reasons I've done such a thing. So downloading ROMs seems perfectly fine to me unless Nintendo is still profiting off of it. But even then, the cops won't come get you. It's an ethical thing. You're not helping Nintendo if you download a game that's still on shelves (which I have done, but Nintendo gets plenty of support from me and my tendency to break things). And this is all I have to say about emulation as a whole.
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 03:03:20 PM »
Oh, come on. No cop is going to come and burst down your door and say, "You're under arrest for downloading a ten-year-old video game that Nintendo doesn't even make money off of anymore."
No, but Deezer will come to your house, forcibly remove you from your computer, and feed you bread, or at least ban you from the Fungi Forums.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 05:13:09 PM »
I'm not doing anything wrong, technically. The rules prohibit the distributing of, asking for, and linking to emulation-related items. I have done none of that, just given my two cents on emulation.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 03:38:58 AM »
Nintendo is going to start making money off of those ten-year-old games again, you know. Real quick here.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 05:15:15 AM »
* MaxVance waits for November 19
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 05:29:51 PM »
Oh! Almost forgot. Forget emulation, buy a Wii.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 04:54:43 PM »
And don't forget about the "versions" of games...
Even though many Nintendo games are old, most of them have been brought back to life numerous times; an example is Super Mario Bros.:

* It has been used in 2 different NES cartridges
* It has made an appearance in Super Maroio All-Stars on the SNES
* Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on Gameboy Color

So Nintendo does still make lots of money on their older games...

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »
* It has been used in 2 different NES cartridges
I can think of three off the top of my head.  Also, don't forget the NES Classic Series or Animal Crossing (supposedly).
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 10:29:50 PM »
Forget emulation, buy a Wii.

How do you think the Wii's Virtual Console works?  Emulation.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 05:21:01 AM »
He means "Forget emulation on a computer, buy a Wii."
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 03:47:44 AM »
Ah, but the Wii is definitely a computer.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 08:46:11 PM »
Okay. Okay.
Forget downloading emulators and ROMs onto your PC and or Mac and playing them with the use of your keyboard, joystick, or any other peripheral you happen to try using, and buy a Wii (on which you can purchase these ROMs to play following any and all of Nintendo's emulation policies).
Good enough for you?
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 05:26:46 AM »
Ah, but the Wii is definitely a computer.
Except that it really isn't. It's actually a game console. What kind of "computer" is controlled with a motion-sensing remote that can determine its own position in space?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 09:20:04 PM »
MaxVance, all game consoles are computers. In fact, you could call a calculator a computer. The difference is that game consoles, like calculators, preform a specific task. Computers have motion/space-sensing peripherals too, you know.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »
Yes, I know it's entirely possible for a computer to have a motion-sensing peripheral of some sort. I was just using it to drive home the point that the Wii is so specialazed that it really isn't a computer.

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 07:09:55 AM »
But computers are in fact machines that hold information and other goodies, I'm pretty sure the Wii does that, even the things that a Wii does can be taken and used on a laptop or desktop computer if someone took the time to try and make it.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 08:21:36 AM »
If the Wii is not a computer, I will eat the moon.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 02:50:06 PM »
I just think the Wii is too specalized to do all of the things that what we would normally call a computer could do. What we would normally call a computer is what Bird Person was talking about.

Print